Can I simulate molecular structures without being a chemist?

In summary: I would recommend looking into the literature on electrides and solvated electrons, as they're the closest thing I can think of that might be applicable, based on your description.
edpell
I am not a chemist. I have a molecular structure question.

Is it possible to bind two positively charged molecules together by having two electrons bounce up and down in the space between them?

M1+ e e M2+

imagine the e, electrons oscillating up and down. Either in sync and 180 degree out of phase.

Is there any simulation software that I could use to simulate a situation like this? Thanks.

Ed Pell

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You may want to check out the literature on electrides and solvated electrons, as they're the closest thing I can think of that might be applicable, based on your description. The idea is that the electron serves as an anion to a cation in lieu of a typical counterion. I don't think most of them are stable under standard temperature and pressure, although I believe there are one or two that have been found.

If you can share more about your idea, I might be able to add more to this brief comment.

Are you asking if its possible to have two positively charged species bound together? Or particularly by electrons bouncing up and down?

Hydrogen molecule ion, H2+ is the simplest molecule and is an example of the former. The latter is not really how electrons behave, they don't just jump around a molecule like a classical particle might.

Hey edpell,

This is more an electron structure question.

M1+ e e M2+

This a charge neutral scenario. When stuff is bonded you must offset the all protons and electrons in the molecule to determine the resultant charge - though experimentally it is possible to determine if one of the molecule's constituents has more charge than the other. Here you seem to be suggesting that the 2 e's are not negating the positive charge of the 2 M's but are instead through their synchronicity/phase relationship are forming a bond between the two positively charged M's - remember electrons themselves are repulsive.

Generally electron positions - determined by probability density functions - are well understood, even in molecules i.e. cuprite, methane. The quantum nature of electrons means we can not know exactly where we will find them in the atom/molecule when we look for them let alone what they were doing before we looked i.e. oscillating.

ch@rlatan.

edpell said:
I am not a chemist. I have a molecular structure question.

Is it possible to bind two positively charged molecules together by having two electrons bounce up and down in the space between them?

M1+ e e M2+

imagine the e, electrons oscillating up and down. Either in sync and 180 degree out of phase.

Is there any simulation software that I could use to simulate a situation like this? Thanks.

Ed Pell

You gave a very complicated description of a covalent bond, however electrons will not "bounce" in the way you suggested - they occupy a molecular orbital and their position is uncertain (read more about wavefunctions).

1. What is molecular structure?

Molecular structure refers to the arrangement and bonding of atoms within a molecule. It determines the physical and chemical properties of a substance.

2. How is molecular structure determined?

Molecular structure is determined through various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and mass spectrometry.

3. What factors affect molecular structure?

The factors that affect molecular structure include the types of atoms present, the number and arrangement of bonds between atoms, and the presence of lone pairs of electrons.

4. Why is molecular structure important?

Molecular structure is important because it determines the behavior and function of a molecule. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

5. Can molecular structure change?

Yes, molecular structure can change through processes such as chemical reactions, physical changes, and environmental factors. These changes can alter the properties and behavior of a molecule.