Inertia Matching with TWO or more motors

In summary, the main purpose of matching inertia in a servo or dynamic system is to minimize control issues. Theoretically, using multiple motors with perfect synchronization would evenly split the inertia load, but in practice, it is not possible to achieve perfect synchronization and there are other practical considerations such as increased backlash and loss of rigidity. Using a larger frame size motor or running two motors with one slightly behind the other may offer better performance.
hp1
Been trying to find an answer to this all day. Would really appreciate any help!

Assuming the electric motors are perfectly synced-up, would using multiple motors effectively split the inertia loads evenly among the 2/3/4 motors?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the equation 1/2Mr^2 for inertia loads, each motor is essentially responsible for moving half the mass (or 1/3, 1/4 and so on and so forth), it seems the inertia would logically also be cut by the same ratio.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
hp1 said:

Assuming the electric motors are perfectly synced-up, would using multiple motors effectively split the inertia loads evenly among the 2/3/4 motors?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the equation 1/2Mr^2 for inertia loads, each motor is essentially responsible for moving half the mass (or 1/3, 1/4 and so on and so forth), it seems the inertia would logically also be cut by the same ratio.

Assuming that you are talking about a servo or other dynamic system, the main reason for inertia matching is to minimize control issues due to backlash and lack of rigidity in the system between load and motor.

If as you suggest, the motors are perfectly synchronized, and mechanical connections were identical in terms of total rigidity and backlash, I think that you are theoretically correct that only total rotor inertia matters (whether from 1, 2, 3 or 100 motors).

Practically, this isn't possible; there is always a compromise. Additional motors would likely result in an increase in effective backlash and loss of rigidity. Although the total motor inertia and theoretical mismatch may be the same, dynamic performance would be compromised if only to a small and acceptable degree (depending on application).

I have found that going to the next larger frame size motor offers several advantage over increasing the number of motors (torque and rotor inertia more than double, no parts count increase, cost typically doesn't double). Also, 2 small shaft connections will have more backlash and less rigidity than one larger diameter shaft. These points of course don't matter if you can't fit the larger motor in the machine.

Running 2 motors with one slightly behind the other in order to create preload may eliminate backlash in the system and allow the 2 motors to work better than one. I have heard of this being done on large rack and pinion systems to eliminate backlash. There will be some power lost to this preload, but it may offset the other issues.

What is inertia matching?

Inertia matching is the process of selecting and designing motors with matching inertias in a system. This ensures that the motors have similar response times and can work together efficiently without one motor overpowering the other.

Why is inertia matching important?

Inertia matching is important because it helps to improve the overall performance and efficiency of a system. It ensures that the motors work together seamlessly and prevents issues such as one motor being overloaded or lagging behind the other.

What happens if motors in a system have mismatched inertias?

If motors in a system have mismatched inertias, it can lead to performance issues and inefficiencies. One motor may have a slower response time, causing it to lag behind the other motor. This can also result in one motor being overloaded while the other is underutilized.

How is inertia matching achieved?

Inertia matching is achieved by carefully selecting and designing motors with similar inertias. This can involve using motors from the same manufacturer or using gearboxes or pulleys to adjust the inertia of the motors.

Are there any limitations to inertia matching with two or more motors?

Yes, there are limitations to inertia matching with two or more motors. It may not be possible to perfectly match the inertias of all the motors in a system, especially if they are from different manufacturers. Additionally, as the system operates, the inertia of the motors may change due to wear and tear, making it challenging to maintain perfect inertia matching over time.