Calculations for heat transfer between fluids

In summary, the conversation is about a project where the speaker is trying to generate steam from a hot gas pipe. They have not yet measured the rate of flow or temperature of the fluid, and they are still deciding on the material to use. They are looking for calculations for transferring heat from the gas to water through a metal jacket wrapped around the gas pipe. The approximate temperatures of the gas are 200-300'C and the speaker is seeking help and recommendations for further references.
Tweaked9107
Im working on a little project where I am attempting to generate steam from a hot gas pipe. I haven't measured the rate of flow or temperature of the fluid as of yet, and I haven't decided upon the choice of material, but I'm looking for some calculations to start.

My plan is to wrap a water jacket around the heated gas pipe (aproximate temperatues of the gas are about 200-300'C) and transfer the heat from the gas to the water. Are there any calculations out there for calculating the transfer of the heated gas, which is flowing at X velocity and volume, through the metal (not chosen yet) and into the water?

Any comments or help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
See Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot...and Heat Transmission by McAdams.

1. What is heat transfer between fluids?

Heat transfer between fluids refers to the exchange of thermal energy between two different fluids, such as air and water, through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How is heat transfer between fluids calculated?

The most common method for calculating heat transfer between fluids is by using the heat transfer coefficient, which takes into account the properties of the fluids, the surface area of contact, and the temperature difference between the two fluids.

3. What factors affect heat transfer between fluids?

The rate of heat transfer between fluids can be influenced by various factors, including the properties of the fluids (such as density and viscosity), the surface area of contact, the temperature difference between the fluids, and the flow rate of the fluids.

4. What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation in heat transfer between fluids?

Conduction refers to the transfer of heat through a solid material, while convection involves the movement of fluids to transfer heat. Radiation, on the other hand, is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. In heat transfer between fluids, all three mechanisms may be present depending on the specific conditions.

5. How can heat transfer between fluids be optimized?

The rate of heat transfer between fluids can be optimized by increasing the surface area of contact, increasing the temperature difference between the fluids, and improving the flow rate of the fluids. Additionally, using materials with high thermal conductivity can also help to enhance heat transfer between fluids.