Disk Brake Connections: Finding Torque & Bolt Amounts

In summary, to connect a disk brake to a shoulder using self locking screws, you will need to calculate the force required at the interface to prevent slipping, determine the normal force needed based on the static friction between the two parts, choose a set of bolts that can handle this force at 60% of their ultimate strength, and calculate the torque specification to meet this strength. This process will vary depending on the external loads and geometry of the application.
mechk
I'm trying to connect a disk from a brake to a shoulder using self locking screws but can't find a formula that would help me to calculate the torque these screws would be subjected to or how many bolts I would need. What do I need to do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basic steps are as follows:

1. You have to first calculate the force you'll need at the interface to prevent slipping. This will be dependent on your external loads (forces and moments).
  2. Using this force and static friction between the two parts, you can can calculate how much normal force will be required to prevent the joint from slipping.
  3. Based on the normal force, choose a set of bolts that can take it. Design the bolt pattern such that you're only utilizing about 60% of their ultimate strength. For example if the required force is 10kN, you could choose 4 bolts rated at about 4.5kN or 5 bolts rated for 5.3kN. It will depend on your geometry and whatever other requirements you have.
  4. Once you've chosen the bolts, you can calculate the torque spec to meet about 60% of their rated strength.
  5. Profit!

Is this a disk brake in an automotive application?

1. How do I determine the torque needed for my disk brake connections?

The torque needed for your disk brake connections can be determined by using a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to the manufacturer's specifications. This information can usually be found in the owner's manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

2. What are the factors that affect torque requirements for disk brake connections?

The factors that affect torque requirements for disk brake connections include the type of brake system, the size and weight of the vehicle, the type of brake pads and rotors being used, and the intended use of the vehicle (e.g. daily driving vs. racing).

3. How do I know how many bolts are needed for my disk brake connections?

The number of bolts needed for your disk brake connections will depend on the specific brake system being used. Generally, most disk brakes will require at least four bolts to secure the caliper to the mounting bracket.

4. Can I reuse old bolts when replacing my disk brake connections?

It is not recommended to reuse old bolts when replacing disk brake connections. Bolts can become stretched or damaged over time, and using old bolts can compromise the safety and effectiveness of the brake system. It is always best to use new bolts when replacing any brake components.

5. How often should I check the torque on my disk brake connections?

It is recommended to check the torque on your disk brake connections every 3,000-5,000 miles or every time you have your brakes serviced. This will ensure that the bolts are properly tightened and your brake system is functioning at its best.