Trying to find an energy-efficient Heating system for a 3 story building

In summary, the conversation involves a civil engineering student seeking advice on energy-efficient HVAC&R systems for a 3-story building they have designed. They are specifically interested in condensing boilers, but are unsure of the necessary size and quantity needed. The respondent suggests considering factors such as solar load, R-values, and climate, and recommends researching energy efficient building standards for guidance. The student also mentions the possibility of government incentives for energy-efficient construction."
aucengr
Hello, I am a civil engineering student and I am currently taking a project design class that requires a bit of overlap into the mechanical field of thought.

We have designed a 3-story108,339 sf. building that needs energy-efficient HVAC&R systems, among other things. Being a civil engineer, I have limited knowledge on the subject and am seeking advice. After doing some research, I have noticed that condensing boilers have high efficiencies and would like to look into those; however, I am at a loss as to how powerful of a heater I would need, or even how many. Can you guys help me?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a project in itself - determining the heating and cooling load of a building.

Solar load, R-values, number of people during the day and/or night, lighting( included as a part of the HVAC system also ) in the building, climate are just some of the things to consider and one cannot look for just one quick answer, if that is what you are after.

Perhaps one of the internet sites for energy efficient buildings gives a value for what they consider appropriate energy usage in terms of electricity, oil, gas, or as a percentage of same in regards to other forms of energy input such as solar, for a building to qualify as being certified energy efficient. More and more new office buildings and houses are being built under the program, and I am not sure what the incentive is other than lower long term energy usage - perhaps some government rebate to the cost of construction.

Last edited:

1. What is the most efficient type of heating system for a 3 story building?

The most efficient type of heating system for a 3 story building will depend on several factors such as the climate, size of the building, and budget. However, some of the most commonly used and energy-efficient options include geothermal heat pumps, high-efficiency gas furnaces, and ductless mini-split systems.

2. How do I determine the size of the heating system needed for a 3 story building?

The size of the heating system needed for a 3 story building can be determined by calculating the square footage of the building and considering factors such as insulation, ceiling height, and number of windows. It is recommended to consult with a professional to accurately determine the size and capacity needed for the building.

3. Are there any rebates or incentives available for installing an energy-efficient heating system?

Yes, there are often rebates and incentives available for installing energy-efficient heating systems. These can vary depending on your location and the specific type of system you choose. It is recommended to research and consult with local energy providers and government agencies to determine what incentives may be available.

4. Can I retrofit an existing heating system to make it more energy-efficient?

Yes, it is possible to retrofit an existing heating system to make it more energy-efficient. This can include replacing old and inefficient components, adding insulation, and implementing smart controls. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the most cost-effective and efficient retrofit options for your specific system.

5. How can I ensure that my energy-efficient heating system is properly maintained?

To ensure that your energy-efficient heating system is properly maintained, it is important to schedule regular maintenance check-ups with a professional. This can include cleaning and replacing air filters, checking for leaks or inefficiencies, and ensuring proper operation of all components. It is also important to follow manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and use of the system.