Gaussian Integral: How to Solve for x^4 Term?

In summary, the student is having difficulty solving an integral and has read about how to solve it, but is not sure how to apply it to the question at hand. The first relevant equation is that x^{3}e^{-2\alpha x^{2}} - which can be solved by integrating by parts and solving for x4 e-2ax^2. This new integral can be solved by knowing the values of x and alpha.
nayfie

Homework Statement

I'm having difficulty solving the following integral.

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{4}e^{-2\alpha x^{2}} \text{d}x[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha x^{2}} \text{d}x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha}}[/itex]

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{2}e^{-\alpha x^{2}} \text{d}x = \frac{\sqrt\pi}{2\alpha^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved a very similar integral, however this one was much easier as I could use substitution quite easily. (In this case I let [itex]u = x^{2}[/itex] and [itex]\text{d}u = 2x\text{d}x[/itex]).

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{3}e^{-2\alpha x^{2}} \text{d}x[/itex]

(It turns out that the integral above is zero.)

The only difference in this new question is a factor of x, yet I have no idea how to approach it. Ideally I would want to find a way to manipulate this integral to be of a form that I know the solution (e.g the ones I've listed above).

Just need a point in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with this? If you integrate what you have by alpha, you'll get the second relevant equation.

I haven't been taught that yet. Is that the only way to solve this integral? I've been reading the related articles but can't work out how to apply it to this question.

Unfortunately it seems my physics course is ahead of my maths course.

Take the second relevant equation and do integration by parts - integrate the x2 and differentiate the e-2a x^2 to get an x4 e-2ax^2 integral. Then solve for this new integral in terms of things that you know

Took your advice and the answer popped out straight away. How did I not think of this?

Thanks mate :)

1. What is the Gaussian Integral (almost)?

The Gaussian Integral (almost) is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a Gaussian or normal distribution curve. This integral is used in statistics and probability to determine the likelihood of a certain event occurring within a given range of values.

2. How is the Gaussian Integral (almost) calculated?

The Gaussian Integral (almost) is calculated using a technique called integration, which involves breaking down the curve into smaller sections and adding up their areas to get an approximation of the total area under the curve. This can be done using various numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

3. What are the applications of the Gaussian Integral (almost)?

The Gaussian Integral (almost) has many applications in science, engineering, and statistics. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, pattern recognition, and data analysis. It can also be used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as diffusion and heat transfer.

4. Is the Gaussian Integral (almost) the same as the normal distribution?

No, the Gaussian Integral (almost) and the normal distribution are two related, but distinct, concepts. The normal distribution describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable, while the Gaussian Integral (almost) involves finding the area under this distribution curve.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Gaussian Integral (almost)?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the Gaussian Integral (almost). One common example is in the analysis of stock prices, where it is used to calculate the probability of a stock's price falling within a certain range. It is also used in finance to model the distribution of returns on investments.