Basic doubt in SR regarding speed of light in different frames.

In summary: Because the light signal takes time to travel, the second clock must also wait for time dilation to cause its clock to say t4' - t3'. By the time it does, the first clock has already moved on to x'=L. So the second clock sees the first clock as having moved at a speed less than c, or x'=c-γ.In summary, if you want to measure the speed of light between two frames, you need to take into account both length contraction and time dilation. Additionally, you need to take relativity into account and consider that clocks in different frames are not synchronized.
aditya23456
suppose we have a moving frame and a rest frame..we know time dilution and length contraction had occurred in moving frame wrt rest frame,this is to make sure that speed of light is same in any frame..but this is not the case..consider measurement of speed of light in moving frame wrt rest frame we get...speed=distance/time
=x/t(gamma)(gamma)
Hence it is c/(gamma)^2
But we need it to be c right.?
So having a additional (gamma)^2 should be rectified and how's it done.?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aditya23456 said:
consider measurement of speed of light in moving frame wrt rest frame we get...speed=distance/time
=x(gamma)/t/(gamma)

How are you arriving at this formula?

well length of displacement of light has measure in moving frame is x,then same displacement wrt stationary frame is x/(gamma)...similarly time taken for light beam to move x as per moving frame is t,same time t as measured by stationary frame is (gamma)t...so speed of light wrt to stationaru frame happens to be x/t(gamma)(gamma)..which is what I got

PS-i ve written wrongly in my first post but now it's rectified..

aditya23456 said:
well length of displacement of light has measure in moving frame is x,then same displacement wrt stationary frame is x/(gamma)...similarly time taken for light beam to move x as per moving frame is t,same time t as measured by stationary frame is (gamma)t...so speed of light wrt to stationaru frame happens to be x/t(gamma)(gamma)..which is what I got

You've written either the length or the time in the "stationary" frame incorrectly. I can't tell which because your nomenclature for the frames is rather confusing when combined with your discussion.

If the stationary frame is truly "stationary", then the time in it should be larger, which t(gamma) is; but then length in it should also be *larger* (since the length should be contracted, i.e., smaller, in the *moving* frame), so the length in the "stationary" frame should be x(gamma), not x/(gamma).

OTOH, if you really meant for what you are calling the "moving" frame to be at rest and the "stationary" frame to be in motion, then the length in the "stationary" frame should indeed be shorter, which x/(gamma) is; but then the time in the "stationary" frame should also be shorter (since what you are calling the "moving" frame should have the *larger* time), so it should be t/(gamma), not t(gamma).

In either case, the gammas cancel when you take the ratio length/time to get the speed of light, so you get the same result, c.

aditya23456 said:
suppose we have a moving frame and a rest frame..we know time dilution and length contraction had occurred in moving frame wrt rest frame,this is to make sure that speed of light is same in any frame..but this is not the case..consider measurement of speed of light in moving frame wrt rest frame we get...speed=distance/time
=x/t(gamma)(gamma)
Hence it is c/(gamma)^2
But we need it to be c right.?
So having a additional (gamma)^2 should be rectified and how's it done.?

If you look at the Lorentz transforms, there are actually 3 effects, and they are all three involved in the invariance of the speed of light:
  1. Length contraction
  2. Time dilation
  3. Relativity of simultaneity

The meaning of the latter is that clocks that are synchronized according to one coordinate system are NOT synchronized according to another. You have to take this into account when computing how things look in different frames--if you only use length contraction and time dilation, you'll get inconsistent results.

Here's the derivation using Lorentz transformations:

x' = γ (x - vt)
t' = γ (t - vx/c2)

So dividing them gives:
x'/t' = (x-vt)/(t - vx/c2)

If we let u = x/t and u' = x'/t', we find:
u' = (ut - vt)/(t - uvt/c2)
= (u-v)/(1-uv/c2)

So what that means is that if an object has speed u in the unprimed frame, then it has speed u' = (u-v)/(1-uv/c2) in the primed frame. In the special case in which u=c (the object is a light signal), we find:

u' = (c-v)/(1-cv/c2) = c

Now, the derivation in terms of length contraction, time dilation and relativity is a little complicated. But suppose that we measure the speed of light in the primed frame this way:

1. Take two clocks at rest in the primed frame.
  2. Bring them together at x'=0 and set them to the same time, say t1'.
  3. Now, slowly move one of the clocks to the point x' = L. Let t2' be the time on that clock when it reaches its destination.
  4. At time t3' according to the first clock at x'=0, send a light signal from the first clock to the second.
  5. Let t4' be the time on the second clock when the light signal is received.
  6. Then the measured speed of light will be c = L/(t4' - t3')

To convince yourself of the last point from the point of view of the unprimed observer requires considering a bunch of different factors:
  1. The moving clocks are running slow, by a factor of γ.
  2. The second clock must travel even faster than the first clock in order to get to the point x' = L. So while it is traveling, its time dilation is even greater than the other clock. So afterward, it is no longer in synch with the first clock. Working it out, you'll find that it is running slow, compared with the first clock by an amount vL/c2.
  3. The distance between the clocks isn't L, but is L/γ, according to the unprimed observer.
  4. Light takes longer than time L/(c γ) to go from the first clock to the second, because the second clock is moving.

If you take all these into account, you'll find that the measured speed of light in the two frames is the same.

really thanks for helping me out
But I find that
Uprime===
[u/(gamma)+{[1-1/(gamma)](u.v)/v^2 -1}v]/[1-(v.u)/c^2]

Here when u=speed of light and which is perpendicular to v,ie u.v=0
Is not ending with u prime to be 'c'
Am i wrong anywhere..I found that derivation to be right ..

aditya23456 said:
But I find that
Uprime===

Once again, where are you getting this formula for velocity composition? It doesn't look like any of the ones I'm familiar with. See, for example, this page:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/velocity.html

Using length contraction and time dilation to disprove the invariance of the speed of light is like assuming the invariance of the speed of light (postulate 2), from which length contraction and time dilation are derived from, to disprove the invariance of the speed of light. In short, you assumed the invariance of the speed of light to disprove it.

Ha..thats true..but that formulae is given in -
THEORY OF RELATIVITY--c.MOLLER

aditya23456 said:
But I find that
Uprime===

That formula from Moller is a vector equation. (I didn't check if you wrote it correctly.) You can't just plug in magnitudes and get an answer.

Right after he gives that complicated general formula, he states that for perpendicular velocities (where v.u = 0) it boils down to this:
[tex]\vec{u} = \vec{v} + \vec{u'}/\gamma[/tex]
Let's take the case where u' = c and is in the y direction; v is in the x direction.

ux = v
uy = c/γ

If you compute the magnitude of that velocity you'll find that it equals c. (As it must, of course!)

1. What is the speed of light in different frames of reference?

The speed of light is always constant at 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, regardless of the frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle of special relativity.

2. How does the speed of light in different frames of reference affect time dilation?

According to special relativity, time dilation occurs when an object moves at speeds close to the speed of light. This means that time will appear to pass slower for an observer in a different frame of reference than for an observer in the frame of reference of the moving object.

3. Does the speed of light change in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of light can change in different mediums, but it will always be slower than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is due to the interaction between light and matter in the medium, which causes the light to travel at a slower speed.

4. How does the speed of light in different frames of reference relate to the concept of length contraction?

According to special relativity, objects that are moving at high speeds will appear to be shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a different frame of reference. This is known as length contraction and is a consequence of the constant speed of light in all frames of reference.

5. Can the speed of light in different frames of reference be exceeded?

No, the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe and cannot be exceeded by any object. According to special relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it any further.