Math self study advice for future physics self study

In summary, the individual is pursuing a career in Radiation Oncology and wants to have a deeper understanding of physics to be a more effective researcher. They plan to refresh their knowledge of Calculus and Linear Algebra to better understand radiation physics and quantum mechanics. They are considering using Mary Boas' book as a source and may follow along a course on MIT's opencourseware to get up to speed.
SheldorMD
I'm going into a career that is heavily based in physics and I'd like to be able to read the original source material for the physics involved. However, calculus was many, many years ago for me.

So, to understand and learn radiation physics, and eventually quantum mechanics, my understanding is that I need to refresh and learn Calculus and likely linear algebra? Does that sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Name your Career Option and at what level you studied. If you taken Introductory Physics Course and Mathematics, then just then just complete a mathematical methods books by Mary Boas /Arfken & Webar. and explore what you want to learn in Physics.

Yeah, Mary Boas book is possibly the best source for answers to questions on mathematics in the physical sciences.

It's really not too great at the initial teaching of calculus though (provided you really don't remember it). You might consider following along a course on MIT's opencourseware or something to get up to speed with at least Multivariable Calculus, and then Boas book would do you a great justice.

I will be practicing Radiation Oncology, which utilizes linear accelerators in the treatment of cancer. My research interests used to be largely in the rad bio arena but have shifted towards the physics end of the spectrum. While I usually collaborate with medical physicists I'd like to have a deeper understanding of the subject so that I can be a more creative and effective researcher.

While I don't have the time to go back and get a PhD in physics, I'd like to learn as much as I can during my academic days. Thanks for the help!

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Calculus and linear algebra are essential tools for understanding and applying physics concepts, especially in fields like radiation physics and quantum mechanics. It's important to have a solid foundation in these mathematical concepts before delving into the original source material. I would also recommend brushing up on your trigonometry and basic algebra skills, as they are also commonly used in physics. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available for self-study in these subjects. Good luck on your physics journey!

1. How can I improve my math skills for future self study in physics?

Some tips for improving math skills for physics self study include practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and using resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.

2. Do I need to have advanced math knowledge for self studying physics?

While having a strong foundation in math is beneficial for self studying physics, it is not a requirement. Basic math skills such as algebra and trigonometry are essential, and more advanced concepts can be learned as needed while studying physics.

3. How can I stay motivated while self studying math for physics?

Setting realistic goals and tracking progress can help with motivation while self studying math for physics. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated.

4. Are there any specific math concepts that are important to focus on for physics self study?

Some key math concepts to focus on for physics self study include calculus, vectors, and geometry. These concepts are frequently used in physics and having a strong understanding of them can make studying physics easier.

5. How much time should I dedicate to self studying math for physics?

The amount of time needed for self studying math for physics can vary depending on individual learning styles and goals. It is important to prioritize consistent and focused study sessions, and to also take breaks to avoid burnout. A general recommendation is to dedicate at least 1-2 hours per day for self studying math for physics.