Number of Moderator Positions

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of moderators in online forums and their purpose in maintaining the quality and accuracy of content. It also touches on the topic of global warming and the forum's decision not to allow discussions on it due to the lack of an expert moderator and the politicization of the issue. The conversation also reveals the forum owner's influence in choosing moderators and the importance of having unbiased moderators for controversial topics.
Evo said:
Lol, yeah, we need to keep track of those. At one time, a bunch of counterfeit GOOBF cards were printed and distributed. Some people had billions.

You mean like my Zimbabwean GOOBF bill?

pf.2013.01.13.Zimbabwe-100-trillion.goobf.jpg

It's still negotiable, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
Borek got his initials right, but backwards. His initials are P.G. He talked me into joining the Navy. We'd been best friends since 7th grade. We were both 18 in this picture.

I decided that our friendship needed some slowing down about 4 years later, when he tried to kill me*.

*He gave me a ride on the back of his brand new Harley Davidson on a cold drizzly November night up on Whidbey Island. A drunk lady pulled out in front of us, and we hit her @ ~55 mph. I lost my big toe nail. Pat spent 6 months in the hospital. He used the insurance settlement money to buy a truck, which he totaled a few months later. He eventually got married, still rides Harley style motorcycles, and has become what I would refer to as an evangelical christian. I on the other hand, remain single, have had an aversion to motorcycles since the incident, and more than anything else, consider myself an evangelical scientist and part-time bohemian. I doubt our paths shall cross again. Except perhaps at high school reunions. We do have fun reminiscing how we didn't die.

Interesting story Om. But it's awkward that you lost interest in motorcycles just because the incident. I know a person who lost an arm in a car accident-- wasn't his fault too-- and still drive cars till today.

Anyways, glad you only lost a toenail. :smile:

OmCheeto said:
You mean like my Zimbabwean GOOBF bill?

pf.2013.01.13.Zimbabwe-100-trillion.goobf.jpg

It's still negotiable, isn't it?
Oh dear, it's worse than I thought!

Evo said:
Oh dear, it's worse than I thought!

Evo, I have a confession. I ate all the oreos. Drank all the milk. And printed all the counterfeit GOOBF bills.

By the way, you should probably change your password from the first 5 numbers of pi. It was deliciously easy to get in and take what I needed.

Also, Omcheeto made me do it. He said he would take my lunch money if I didn't. A man's got to have his half-pint of milk, you know?

Drakkith said:
Evo, I have a confession. I ate all the oreos. Drank all the milk. And printed all the counterfeit GOOBF bills.
:grumpy:

By the way, you should probably change your password from the first 5 numbers of pi. It was deliciously easy to get in and take what I needed.
But Om told me no one would guess that password. :redface:

Also, Omcheeto made me do it. He said he would take my lunch money if I didn't. A man's got to have his half-pint of milk, you know?
Milk does a body good.

Evo said:
Milk does a body good.

What!?
*Spits out his milk*
Down with the Milktocracy!
All Glory to the Hipnotoad! Err I mean Soda!

... re rules. I tried to ask questions on an unmoderated physics newsgroup and gave up after noting that most of the replies were from people propounding some form of conspiracy theory or espousing physical theories that harked back to good old Newton and Aristotle - no need to get entangled in the strings of quantum theory at all (*)! Please, keep the Reasonable Rules. All in all, I prefer living under the Moderator's In Black tyrannical yoke of oppression than trying to eke out an existence in Theory-Rich, Fact-Free Anarchy.

-----------------------------

Note:
(*) I think it was usually an alien, under contract to the CIAFBIKGBIlluminati guvment people, crashed his UFO into the Towers to release the secret chemicals into the air that emulate global warming. Sounded plausible but I couldn't find an independent expert - they all suffered from amnesia after being "probed". Oh, and that Einstein fellow ... he was clearly wrong and there are half-a-dozen proper theories out there that prove it (or at least they will when a few little points have been addressed (like agreement with experimental evidence)) thus making fools of the secret cabal that denies funding to research that disagrees with the New Doctrine.

Infinitarian said:
As it happens, this is also the largest forum on the net, and for advanced questions the only place where you're likely to get an answer.

Perhaps you should consider that the size, quality, and utility of this forum exists thanks to, and not in spite of, the moderation rules?

People could just block people like on Facebook, or vote to hide their posts as on Youtube. This is my last post on a forum ever. The groups on Facebook are much smaller, but they'll have to do. They'll grow. I'm not the only one who's had enough of forums.

If you think quality science discussion will be better served by public opinion polling over moderation by professional scientists, please start a forum based on that construct.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of having a specific number of moderator positions?</h2><p>The number of moderator positions is determined based on the needs and size of a community or organization. Moderators are responsible for maintaining order and enforcing rules, so having a specific number ensures that there are enough individuals to handle the workload and maintain a fair and balanced approach.</p><h2>2. How is the number of moderator positions determined?</h2><p>The number of moderator positions is typically determined by the size and activity level of the community or organization. A larger community may require more moderators to handle the volume of activity, while a smaller community may only need a few moderators. The specific needs and goals of the community should also be taken into consideration when determining the number of moderator positions.</p><h2>3. Can the number of moderator positions change over time?</h2><p>Yes, the number of moderator positions can change over time. As a community or organization grows or evolves, the need for more or fewer moderators may arise. It is important to regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the current number of moderators and make adjustments as needed.</p><h2>4. What qualifications are typically required for a moderator position?</h2><p>The qualifications for a moderator position may vary depending on the specific community or organization. However, some common qualifications may include good communication skills, a strong understanding of the community's rules and values, and the ability to remain impartial and handle conflicts effectively.</p><h2>5. How are moderator positions typically filled?</h2><p>The process for filling moderator positions may vary depending on the community or organization. Some may have a formal application and interview process, while others may select moderators based on their level of activity and contributions within the community. In some cases, current moderators may also have a say in selecting and training new moderators.</p>

1. What is the purpose of having a specific number of moderator positions?

The number of moderator positions is determined based on the needs and size of a community or organization. Moderators are responsible for maintaining order and enforcing rules, so having a specific number ensures that there are enough individuals to handle the workload and maintain a fair and balanced approach.

2. How is the number of moderator positions determined?

The number of moderator positions is typically determined by the size and activity level of the community or organization. A larger community may require more moderators to handle the volume of activity, while a smaller community may only need a few moderators. The specific needs and goals of the community should also be taken into consideration when determining the number of moderator positions.

3. Can the number of moderator positions change over time?

Yes, the number of moderator positions can change over time. As a community or organization grows or evolves, the need for more or fewer moderators may arise. It is important to regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the current number of moderators and make adjustments as needed.

4. What qualifications are typically required for a moderator position?

The qualifications for a moderator position may vary depending on the specific community or organization. However, some common qualifications may include good communication skills, a strong understanding of the community's rules and values, and the ability to remain impartial and handle conflicts effectively.

5. How are moderator positions typically filled?

The process for filling moderator positions may vary depending on the community or organization. Some may have a formal application and interview process, while others may select moderators based on their level of activity and contributions within the community. In some cases, current moderators may also have a say in selecting and training new moderators.