Download the free PF App for iPhone/Android phones

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new PF App is based off the TapaTalk app, is very similar, and supports tex and list subscribed threads. There is a problem with not supporting LaTeX and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. However, the subscribed threads are in Favorites. The app looks clean and supports Dark mode. There is a bug with white space around quotes, and the logo is not shown when starting the app. The app has been updated to version 2.4.4.1 and has 85 installs in under a week.
jedishrfu said:
One solution to the latex issue is to have the site itself convert latex to images so that the app will display them correctly.

We did this prior to using MathJax. We switched to MathJax because we had accumulated over a million latex images and overall it was a much slower processing and loading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
We did this prior to using MathJax. We switched to MathJax because we had accumulated over a million latex images and overall it was a much slower processing and loading.

Have you investigated the Forum Runner app? It supposedly supports Latex not sure how well.

jedishrfu said:
Have you investigated the Forum Runner app? It supposedly supports Latex not sure how well.

Overall it's a cheaper product, but I will pressure Tapatalk to get latex support. Thanks for the heads up.

Likes 1 person
Samsung Galaxy S3 displays MathJax perfectly in its native mode (that is, no Tapatalk nor any other app for forum browsing, just the standard browser).

I will be able to check S3 mini as well soon.

I wonder what I see when I browse the forum using Galaxy. Do I guess right I am presented with an ad for the app, and a mobile skin?

I have not tried the app yet, and I am not going to in the next few days.

Borek said:
I wonder what I see when I browse the forum using Galaxy. Do I guess right I am presented with an ad for the app, and a mobile skin?

I have not tried the app yet, and I am not going to in the next few days.

If you use a mobile browser you will get the mobile skin and yes there is a small ad advertising the app. fyi, I'll be unveiling the new mobile skin later today.

I'm so sorry for asking my question in this post,but I have a problem and I need some help. I'm using PF iPad app and i think there is som changes in it so that I don't know how to post in forums . :(

shahrzad1994 said:
I'm so sorry for asking my question in this post,but I have a problem and I need some help. I'm using PF iPad app and i think there is som changes in it so that I don't know how to post in forums . :(

When you load the app swipe to the right and you'll see the navigation pop out. Click the browse link. Find the forum you want and click it. Then in the upper right corner click the three dot icon and select "new topic".

If the app doesn't suit you I suggest just using the mobile skin by visiting through a mobile browser. Enjoy!

Greg Bernhardt said:
When you load the app swipe to the right and you'll see the navigation pop out. Click the browse link. Find the forum you want and click it. Then in the upper right corner click the three dot icon and select "new topic".

If the app doesn't suit you I suggest just using the mobile skin by visiting through a mobile browser. Enjoy!
Oh I found it ! Thank you so much...

Greg Bernhardt said:
3.2.19 for iOS has been released
Yes I'm going to update it now ! Thanks.

3.4.17 has been released for Andriod
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.physicsforumscom

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
New releases coming up! Everyone enjoying the apps?

When you announce a new release can you provide the new features or bug fixes contained there in?

I've played with the app and gotten frustrated with it since it couldn't handle latex and havnt looked at it since.

When we get mathjax support I will make an announcement :)

Are you using the mobile skin?

Greg Bernhardt said:

I don't think so. I was using it on an iPad and I had to jump to Safari to enter some things.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Glad this is being worked on as I was just about to comment. App's running great on my retina iPad mini on ios7.

It would be great if the app could read LaTeX at some point in the future.

I live in Sweden and some of the things in the app are translated and some are not. Ex. from the page were you sign in, there is "gå med" (which is join in Swedish) and then there is "sign in" in English.

@Bernhardt could you make "thank" button available in the app?

/Wrote this from the app

I use Android 4.3

Rated & Reviewed at Google Play.

Last edited:
The application does not work anymore on my tablet Samsung Galaxy note 10.1, since around 1 month now. Yesterday I uninstalled it and re-installed it, the problem remains.
The application gets stuck at the loading screen.
I've the same application in my cell phone and it works fine...

fluidistic said:
The application does not work anymore on my tablet Samsung Galaxy note 10.1, since around 1 month now. Yesterday I uninstalled it and re-installed it, the problem remains.
The application gets stuck at the loading screen.
I've the same application in my cell phone and it works fine...

Thanks for the notice. We have a minor bugfix release planned for next week. Hope that solves it!

I don't know if you have control over this, but I'm getting some questionable banner ads in the app. Rather than post it here I can PM someone, because I don't want to proliferate the name or url on the internet. (That's just what they want!). It's not terribly terribly dirty or offensive.

dkotschessaa said:
I don't know if you have control over this, but I'm getting some questionable banner ads in the app. Rather than post it here I can PM someone, because I don't want to proliferate the name or url on the internet. (That's just what they want!). It's not terribly terribly dirty or offensive.

Yes please send me a PM about it, thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the notice. We have a minor bugfix release planned for next week. Hope that solves it!

Unfortunately the bug is still alive in the newest version. Cannot access to PF from the application.

I heard we have 24/7 chat. Besides the fact that I can't even find it on the web version, is it at all available on the app version?

dkotschessaa said:
I heard we have 24/7 chat. Besides the fact that I can't even find it on the web version, is it at all available on the app version?

It's easily accessible if you are a Gold member :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's easily accessible if you are a Gold member :)

Ohhh I see.

fluidistic said:
Unfortunately the bug is still alive in the newest version. Cannot access to PF from the application.

Just released 3.8.21 for Android which included a crash fix.

Why doesn't the phone allow for LaTeX view in app? It's kinda frustrating. ~| FilupSmith |~

FilupSmith said:
Why doesn't the phone allow for LaTeX view in app? It's kinda frustrating.

I'm pushing for the developer to add it. Finger crossed.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm pushing for the developer to add it. Finger crossed.
I can't wait! Also, because I primarily use my phone, is there a way or forum I can use to learn LaTeX? ~| FilupSmith |~