Partial Derivative Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help understanding the steps in two pictures related to a mathematical problem. They don't understand the second step and ask for a detailed explanation. Another person offers hints and suggests using the chain rule, linearity, and quotient rule to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
Desii
Hello,
Could anyone please explain me the steps in these pictures.
I do not understand the second step.

http://imgur.com/AvVbPu5,Ust2Zpx#0

Second one:
Third step ( i don't understand)
http://imgur.com/AvVbPu5,Ust2Zpx#1

If anyone can give me detail explanation, i would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Desii said:
Hello,
Could anyone please explain me the steps in these pictures.
I do not understand the second step.

http://imgur.com/AvVbPu5,Ust2Zpx#0

Second one:
Third step and last step ( i don't understand)
http://imgur.com/AvVbPu5,Ust2Zpx#1

If anyone can give me detail explanation, i would really appreciate it.

Have you tried using the chain rule? The text is omitting some algebra, but you should be able to fill it in if you just try to do the computation your own way.

The last step in the second one is obvious, isn't it? (It's essentially just A+B-A=0). I could tell you exactly what to do with the rest, but I'm not sure this would help your understanding at all, so I will start by only giving you some hints. Maybe the problem here isn't that you don't know how to apply the rules, but that you don't know why you can apply them?

You need the following rules:

Linearity: ##(af+bg)'(x)=af'(x)+bg'(x)##.
Quotient rule: ##\displaystyle \left(\frac f g\right)'(x)=\frac{f'(x)g(x)-f(x)g'(x)}{g(x)^2}.##

In the first one, I would start with this very simple rewrite:
$$a=\frac{M-m}{M+m}g =\frac{Mg-mg}{M+m}.$$ Then you can just use the quotient rule (and linearity) to compute the partial derivatives. (You didn't include enough information for me to see why the last line is true).

The second one is similar.

Fredrik said:
The last step in the second one is obvious, isn't it? (It's essentially just A+B-A=0). I could tell you exactly what to do with the rest, but I'm not sure this would help your understanding at all, so I will start by only giving you some hints. Maybe the problem here isn't that you don't know how to apply the rules, but that you don't know why you can apply them?

You need the following rules:

Linearity: ##(af+bg)'(x)=af'(x)+bg'(x)##.
Quotient rule: ##\displaystyle \left(\frac f g\right)'(x)=\frac{f'(x)g(x)-f(x)g'(x)}{g(x)^2}.##

In the first one, I would start with this very simple rewrite:
$$a=\frac{M-m}{M+m}g =\frac{Mg-mg}{M+m}.$$ Then you can just use the quotient rule (and linearity) to compute the partial derivatives. (You didn't include enough information for me to see why the last line is true).

The second one is similar.

Hi,
Thank you very much for the help, I'm used to solving it with numbers not in problems. It makes all sense now. Once again thank you

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariate calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable, while a partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, holding all other variables constant.

3. Why are partial derivatives useful?

Partial derivatives are useful in many fields of science, including physics, economics, and engineering. They help us understand how a system changes when one variable changes, while others are held constant. This can allow us to make predictions and optimize systems.

4. How do you find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of partial derivatives?

One example of a real-life application of partial derivatives is in economics, specifically in the field of optimization. For instance, a company may use partial derivatives to determine how changes in the price of a product will affect their profits, while keeping other factors such as production costs and demand constant.