Why does the lim Δx →0 change the ≈ to =?

• Thread starter aclark609
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary: In general we have to use the difference quotient, Δy/Δx, to approximate the slope of a curved line. In summary, the limit Δx →0 changes the approximation symbol to an equality because that is the definition of the derivative. As Δx approaches zero, the value of f'(x) is reached exactly, not just approximately. This concept applies to all differentials, as long as the value of Δx is small enough. The derivative is the "Calculus Way" of defining the slope of a curved line, as it is the exact value rather than an approximation.
aclark609
I was sifting through the beginning of my book when i came upon a section based on marginals and differentials. My question is why does Δy/Δx ≈ f'(x) when the lim Δx →0 Δy/Δx = f'(x)?

Δx = (x + Δx) - x ; therefore, Δy = f(x + Δx) - f(x) .

Δy/Δx = {f(x + Δx) - f(x)}/ Δx ≈ f'(x)

f'(x) = lim {f(x + Δx) - f(x)}/ Δx
Δx→0

In simplest terms, why does the lim Δx →0 change the ≈ to =?

Physics news on Phys.org
aclark609 said:
f'(x) = lim {f(x + Δx) - f(x)}/ Δx
Δx→0
That is the definition of f'(x). It is true because it was defined that way.

I believe aclark609's specific question was about why the ##\approx## changes to a ##=## and the answer is that that's how limits are. Whilst calculating a limit, the approximate answer is made exact via an infinite number of precise approximations. That is exactly the beautiful spirit of Calculus. For example, ## 0.\overline{9} = 1 ##, it is not approximately ##1##. If the number of ##9##s after the ##0## was huge but finite, it would be approximately, and very close to, ##1##. But, as the number of 0s grows more and more, the value becomes closer and closer to 1 - i.e. "approaching 1". The limit is the infinite case, which is exactly ##1##.

Hope that helped!

ahaanomegas said:
I believe aclark609's specific question was about why the ##\approx## changes to a ##=## and the answer is that that's how limits are. Whilst calculating a limit, the approximate answer is made exact via an infinite number of precise approximations. That is exactly the beautiful spirit of Calculus. For example, ## 0.\overline{9} = 1 ##, it is not approximately ##1##. If the number of ##9##s after the ##0## was huge but finite, it would be approximately, and very close to, ##1##. But, as the number of 0s grows more and more, the value becomes closer and closer to 1 - i.e. "approaching 1". The limit is the infinite case, which is exactly ##1##.

Hope that helped!

So by adding in the lim Δx →0 it pretty much replaces the ≈ with = because that is the whole concept of a limit, correct? If that is the case then wouldn't that make all differentials 'approximate.'

aclark609 said:
So by adding in the lim Δx →0 it pretty much replaces the ≈ with = because that is the whole concept of a limit, correct?
I wouldn't describe it that way. But the definition of the notation f'(x) does involve a limit.

aclark609 said:
If that is the case then wouldn't that make all differentials 'approximate.'
Depends on how you define the "differentials". You can e.g. define df as a function that takes two real numbers to a real number, like this: df(x,h)=f'(x)h for all x and all h. Now we have f'(x)=df(x,h)/h by definition. However, if you're asking whether
$$\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$ is equal to or approximately equal to f'(x), then the answer is that it's approximately equal to f'(x) when h is small.

It is the derivative of the curved line. y/x = slope. So Δy/Δx is just the "Calculus Way" of defining it.

aclark609 said:
So by adding in the lim Δx →0 it pretty much replaces the ≈ with = because that is the whole concept of a limit, correct? If that is the case then wouldn't that make all differentials 'approximate.'

I think your intuition is backwards here. It isn't that f'(x) is approximately Δy/Δx, and if you take the limit as Δx goes to zero you get an equality. It's that as Δx goes to zero, you get exactly the value f'(x) because that's how it's defined. The interesting point is that this implies Δy/Δx is going to approximate the value of f'(x) if Δx is small

EuroNerd77 said:
It is the derivative of the curved line. y/x = slope. So Δy/Δx is just the "Calculus Way" of defining it.
x/y is the slope only when we're dealing with a function whose graph is a straight line through the origin.

1. Why does taking the limit as Δx approaches 0 cause the approximation symbol to change to an equals sign?

When we take the limit as Δx approaches 0, we are essentially finding the value of the function at a specific point, rather than an interval. As a result, the approximation of the function becomes an exact value, making the use of the equals sign more accurate.

2. How does the value of Δx affect the change from ≈ to = when taking the limit?

The value of Δx represents the "distance" between two points on the function. As Δx approaches 0, the two points get closer and closer together, essentially becoming the same point. This is why the approximation becomes more accurate and the equals sign is used instead of the approximation symbol.

3. Can the limit of a function ever be exactly equal to the function itself?

Yes, in some cases, the limit of a function as Δx approaches 0 can be exactly equal to the function itself. This occurs when the function is continuous, meaning that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph. In this case, the limit as Δx approaches 0 will be the same as the value of the function at that point.

4. Is there a specific reason why we use the approximation symbol when taking the limit?

Yes, the approximation symbol ≈ is used to signify that the limit is not an exact value, but rather an estimation. This is because the limit is being taken at a specific point, rather than an interval, so there may be some slight variation from the actual value of the function.

5. Can taking the limit as Δx approaches 0 ever change the value of the function?

No, taking the limit as Δx approaches 0 does not change the value of the function itself. It simply gives us a more accurate representation of the function at a specific point. The original function remains unchanged.