Total derivative to partial derivative by division? (Calc./Thermo.)

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial derivatives of entropy with respect to temperature and pressure, and how they relate to changes in entropy at constant volume. The equation for entropy as a function of temperature and pressure is given, and the total derivative of entropy is derived. The constant volume "_V" appears in the third equation as a result of considering changes in entropy at constant volume.
zircons
I don't understand the calculus behind this thermodynamics concept:

S = f(T,P)
dS = (∂S/∂T)_P*dT + (∂S/∂P)_T*dP
(∂S/∂T)_V = (∂S/∂T)_P + (∂S/∂P)_T*(∂P/∂T)_V

Basically, I don't get why and how you get (∂S/∂T) when you divide dS by dT. Also, I don't understand why the constant volume "_V" appears.

Physics news on Phys.org
zircons said:
I don't understand the calculus behind this thermodynamics concept:

S = f(T,P)
dS = (∂S/∂T)_P*dT + (∂S/∂P)_T*dP
(∂S/∂T)_V = (∂S/∂T)_P + (∂S/∂P)_T*(∂P/∂T)_V

Basically, I don't get why and how you get (∂S/∂T) when you divide dS by dT.
You DON'T get ∂S/∂T by dividing dS by dT.
Your 2nd equation is the total differential of S, which could be written more simply as
dS = ∂S/∂T * dT + ∂S/∂P * dP

Since S is a function of T and P, it's redundant to say (∂S/∂T)_P when writing this partial. P is already treated as a constant when you take the partial of S with respect to T.

zircons said:
Also, I don't understand why the constant volume "_V" appears.
I don't either. S is a function of P and T only, according to your first equation. I know that volume, temperature, and pressure are all related by Boyle's Law or Charles' Law (or Boyle's and Charles' Law), but it's been a very long time since I took physics.

Thanks! But I was talking about getting from the second equation to the third. Also, it may be redundant but it's my engineering book's convention.

You need to explain how V ties into the 2nd equation. To my recollection, the equation is PV = nRT. How that relates to your function S = f(T, P), I don't know.

The premiss is that, for a given system, you know how to express the entropy as a function of ##T## and ##P##:
$$
S=f(T,P)
$$
This doesn't mean that entropy is only a function of ##T## and ##P##. It is generally also a function of ##V## and ##N##, for instance. But what is have is an expression for ##S## in terms of ##T## and ##P##.

From that, you can get the total derivative
$$
dS = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_P dT + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial P} \right)_T dP
$$
Now, do something to your system at constant volume and you wish to know how entropy changes with respect to temperature. How can you do that when you don't have an expression for ##S## in terms of ##V##? Either you find a relation between ##P## and ##V## (for instance, if you have an ideal gas, where ##PV=nRT##), or you derive the previous equation with respect to ##T## at constant ##V##. Then you get
$$
\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_V = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_P + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial P} \right)_T \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_V
$$

What is the definition of total derivative?

The total derivative is a measure of the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. It takes into account the effect of changes in all of the independent variables on the dependent variable.

What is the difference between total derivative and partial derivative?

The main difference between total derivative and partial derivative is that total derivative considers the effect of changes in all independent variables on the dependent variable, while partial derivative only considers the effect of changes in one independent variable on the dependent variable while keeping the others constant.

How is total derivative calculated?

The total derivative is calculated using the chain rule, which involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable and multiplying them by the corresponding rate of change of that variable.

Why is total derivative important in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, total derivative is important because it allows us to analyze how a thermodynamic quantity changes as a result of changes in all of the independent variables, such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

What are some real-world applications of total derivative?

Total derivative is used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. In economics, it is used to analyze how changes in multiple variables affect a company's profits. In engineering, it is used to optimize processes and analyze the effect of changes in different variables on a system. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of complex systems such as thermodynamic processes.