Soft to rigid construction materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a material that starts out as soft as clay but can become as strong as steel with the use of electricity. The speaker is curious about the existence and viability of such a material for construction purposes. The suggested solution is to search for "metal epoxy putty" which can be used to create strong and durable structures.
eextreme
I often enjoyed how when you shape an object with clay and blast it with a furnace, you would be able to turn the soft material into one where you can store water and heavy objects inside, and be resistant to some external forces as well.

Thus, it make me wonder if there are materials that starts out as soft as clay and with very little energy become as hard steel. I visualize something that after you shape it with your bare hands, or clay working materials and then zap that area with some electricity, it becomes strong enough to support a lot of weight.

I would like to know if there is such material and the viability of the material in the construction of new buildings and related architectures.

I look forward to you responses

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What are soft to rigid construction materials?

Soft to rigid construction materials are materials that can change in physical properties from soft and flexible to stiff and rigid. These materials are often used in constructing objects that need to adapt to different conditions, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles.

2. What are some examples of soft to rigid construction materials?

Some common examples of soft to rigid construction materials include textiles, plastics, composites, and metals. These materials can be engineered to have varying levels of stiffness and flexibility, making them suitable for different applications in construction.

3. How are soft to rigid construction materials made?

Soft to rigid construction materials are typically made through a process called polymerization, where small molecules are chemically bonded together to form long chains. These chains can then be arranged in different ways to alter the material's stiffness and flexibility.

4. What are the benefits of using soft to rigid construction materials?

Using soft to rigid construction materials allows for more versatility in design and functionality. These materials can adapt to changing conditions, reducing the risk of damage and improving the overall durability of the construction. They also tend to be lightweight and cost-effective.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using soft to rigid construction materials?

One potential drawback of using soft to rigid construction materials is that they may not be as strong or durable as traditional rigid materials, such as concrete and steel. Additionally, these materials may require more frequent maintenance and replacement, depending on the specific application and conditions they are used in.