Rear damper travel; Rear passenger packaging

In summary, the rear damper is inclined at a angle to the inside of the car to ensure wheel travel is along a curved up/down path. This makes it hard to package the rear passengers as they have to be placed closer towards the centre.
marellasunny
I am quite uncertain as to why the rear damper is inclined at a angle to the inside of the car. By doing so, does one ensure for rear wheel travel to be along a curved up/down path? i.e I am perplexed as most of the modern rear suspensions are multi-link and have their dampers inclined → This makes it hard to package the rear passengers as they have to be placed closer towards the centre. To visualize my question better, I have attached a catia file that I have drawn.

2. I am quite worried if there is enough 'play' for the rear dampers and that their travel does not intersect with the rear passenger seating position. Please give your views as to the optimal distance between rear damper strut point and seating position.

Attachments

• package.jpg
    package.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 495
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Actually, not much more to give than the diagram I have attached. I was hoping for some insights into rear damper packaging, for example:

1.Is the rear damper placed before/after the lower A-arm?

2.How much laterally to the centre do I place the damper?

Dampers are usually inclined such that the angle between the A-arm and damper increases toward a right angle. This way the motion ratio (wheel displacement per damper displacement) increases as the wheel goes up and the damping coefficient at the wheel increases as well. That slows down the wheel faster and faster as the suspension goes towards its bump stop.

As to where is the optimal distance between damper and passenger, I think its quite irrelevant. It would more where is the optimal distance between damper and wheel. I think that most suspension designers want to keep them as close as possible such that the motion ratio is as close as possible to 1:1. This ensure the softest damper possible with a wide motion range. As the motion ratio increases, you have to work with very large forces moving with very small displacements.

Also, a damper can be placed almost anywhere with a little imagination:

suspensao.jpg

Likes 1 person

1. What is rear damper travel?

Rear damper travel refers to the distance that the rear suspension system of a vehicle can compress and extend. It is an important factor in determining the overall handling and stability of a vehicle, as well as its ability to absorb bumps and impacts on the road.

2. Why is rear damper travel important?

Rear damper travel is important because it directly affects the ride quality and handling of a vehicle. A longer rear damper travel allows for better absorption of bumps and impacts, resulting in a smoother and more comfortable ride. It also helps maintain traction and stability on uneven or rough roads.

3. How is rear damper travel measured?

Rear damper travel is typically measured in millimeters (mm) or inches (in). It is the distance between the fully extended and fully compressed positions of the rear suspension system. This measurement can vary depending on the type of vehicle and its suspension design.

4. What is rear passenger packaging?

Rear passenger packaging refers to the layout and design of the rear seating area in a vehicle. It includes factors such as legroom, headroom, and overall comfort for rear passengers. It is an important consideration for car manufacturers in order to provide a comfortable and spacious experience for passengers.

5. How does rear passenger packaging affect the overall design of a vehicle?

Rear passenger packaging can greatly influence the overall design of a vehicle, as it affects the size and shape of the rear cabin area. Car manufacturers must consider the dimensions and comfort of the rear seating area in order to create a well-balanced and functional design. It also plays a role in the weight distribution and aerodynamics of a vehicle.