Comparing Calculus Teaching Methods: Time vs Rigor

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, it is more important to learn how to do the calculations and learn the proofs in detail at a later stage. However, it is also important to understand what you are doing before going to the next topic.
Jeff Ford
I am working on teaching myself calculus and have a few texts that employ different teaching methods. One covers a short chapter on limits and then goes right into calculating derivatives. Another covers logic, set theory, and rigorous definitions of continuity and limits before introducing derivatives. I started on the first text and am still working through the exercises, but have also been reading the front matter of the other text.

Is it more important to take my time and slowly learn the rigorous definitions of everything at this stage, or is it more important to just learn how to do the calculations and learn the proofs in detail at a later stage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn things properly the first time round. Trust me it helps a lot. But the definition of properly depends on why you are learning the material and what you plan to use it for.

Definately understand what you are doing before going to the next topic.

My HS calc teacher explained limits as being "very close to the number, but not the number", which has caused some problems. I don't think I ever even saw the formal definition for a limit until this year when we started doing differentiables...

Anyway, in the case of limits, it wasn't so bad, but you want to make sure you understand things before you move on. If you spend more time that it required, all that will happens is you will remember it better.

PL

Do both!

Seriously, synthesize the two approaches, and move forward with the two in step. It's important for your long-term growth to be rigorous, and it's important for your short-term growth to be able to successfully solve exercises.

By the way, you'll find that the logic will help you solve some of the exercises too. I can't tell you how many calculus students I've had who have made dumb mistakes in exercises because they didn't properly understand conditionals and their inverses, converses, and contrapositives and the logical equivalences between them. I always do a short suicide crash course on symbolic logic as early as possible.

Thanks for the advice. I read this chapter on logic http://faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dougherty/book/chapter01.pdf" [Broken] and found it quite helpful. I felt kind of dumb for being a college graduate and not knowing any of this stuff. I will continue to work hard at correctly solving calculus exercises, but also read analysis at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of comparing calculus teaching methods?

The purpose of comparing calculus teaching methods is to determine which method is more effective in helping students understand and apply concepts in calculus. This comparison can also provide insights into how different teaching methods may impact student learning and retention.

What is the difference between time-based and rigor-based teaching methods?

Time-based teaching methods focus on covering a certain amount of material within a specific time frame, while rigor-based methods prioritize a deep understanding of concepts and problem-solving skills. Time-based methods often involve lectures and practice problems, while rigor-based methods may incorporate more hands-on activities and real-world applications.

Which teaching method is more commonly used in calculus courses?

The most commonly used teaching method in calculus courses is a combination of time-based and rigor-based approaches. This allows instructors to cover a sufficient amount of material while also ensuring students have a strong understanding of key concepts and problem-solving skills.

What are the potential advantages of using a time-based teaching method?

A time-based teaching method may allow instructors to cover a wider range of topics, which can be beneficial for students who need to take multiple math courses for their degree. It may also help students develop time-management skills and prepare them for standardized tests that have strict time limits.

What are the potential advantages of using a rigor-based teaching method?

A rigor-based teaching method can promote a deeper understanding of concepts, which can help students retain knowledge and apply it to new problems. It may also encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and can be more engaging for students who prefer hands-on learning and real-world applications.