Magnetic Field Equation in Spherical Coordinates to Cartesian Coordinates

In summary: B} in terms of x and y :)In summary, the equation of a magnetic field in spherical coordinates is \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2∏ R} \hat{\phi}. To find the expression for \vec{B} in cartesian coordinates, use the following equation: R = \frac{\mu_{o} I}{2∏ \vec{B}}.
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

The magnetic field around a long, straight wire carrying a steady current I is given in spherical coordinates by the expression

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2∏ R} \hat{\phi}[/itex] ,

where [itex] \mu_{o} [/itex] is a constant and R is the perpendicular distance from the wire to the observation points. Find the expression for [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] in cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to get the partial derivative of this with respect to some variable.. but I don't know what that variable is. can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacobians are pretty helpful moving between coordinates. You don't necessarily need to go that in depth though. The R is easy. How will the unit vector transform?

Mindscrape said:
Jacobians are pretty helpful moving between coordinates. You don't necessarily need to go that in depth though. The R is easy. How will the unit vector transform?

I didn't really get your point.. i mean, is that formula a unit vector?? I think not.

In terms of R. do u mean I should make it

R = [itex]\frac{\mu_{o} I}{2∏ \vec{B}}[/itex] [itex] \hat{\phi} [/itex]

He means the unit vector in your basis.

paris1244bc said:
He means the unit vector in your basis.

basis meaning the observation points..

its

R=Rx i + Ry j + Rz k

He means ##\hat{\phi}##.

vela said:
He means ##\hat{\phi}##.

hmmm.. now I'm really confused. Can you please tell me the steps on how to do this, then i'll try. I'll show you what I did then you can tell me if I'm wrong or right. Thanks.

Can someone please help me with this one?? This is the last problem I wasn't able to solve in our problem set. Help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Spherical coordinates to cartesian coordinates

Homework Statement

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2∏ R} \hat{\phi}[/itex] , is the equation of Magnetic Field in spherical coordinates. where [itex] \mu_{o} [/itex] is a constant and R is the perpendicular distance from the wire to the observation points. Find the expression for [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] in cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to equate this equation in terms of [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] but after that I'm stuck.. I know also that R being the perpendicular distance from the wire to the observation points will also do the trick but I don't know how it will help. Can someone please help me figure this thing out? help will be much appreciated

Last edited:
hi jhosamelly! :smile:

hint: what shape are the field-lines? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi jhosamelly! :smile:

hint: what shape are the field-lines? :wink:

circular.. do you mean I should use equations for circle?

seems a good idea! :wink:

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
seems a good idea! :wink:

what do you get? :smile:

[itex] (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 [/itex]

or if the center is at the origin

[itex] x^2 + y^2 = r^2 [/itex]

how does this help? should I equate this with the R in the equation?

jhosamelly said:
…or if the center is at the origin

[itex] x^2 + y^2 = r^2 [/itex]

the centre isn't at the origin, is it?

it's anywhere along the z-axis :wink:

and it isn't r, it's R …

ok, now that you know what shape everything is, write the original formula for B in spherical coordinates :smile:

tiny-tim said:
the centre isn't at the origin, is it?

it's anywhere along the z-axis :wink:

and it isn't r, it's R …

ok, now that you know what shape everything is, write the original formula for B in spherical coordinates :smile:

do you mean this??

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2∏ R} \hat{\phi}[/itex]

I think this is already in spherical coordinates.

should i change R now to [itex] x^2 + y^2 [/itex]

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2∏ (x^2 + y^2)} \hat{\phi}[/itex]

oops! i meant cartesian coordinates! :redface:
jhosamelly said:
should i change R now to [itex] x^2 + y^2 [/itex]

yes, and finally you need to change phi to x and y (or i and j) :smile:

tiny-tim said:
oops! i meant cartesian coordinates! :redface:yes, and finally you need to change phi to x and y (or i and j) :smile:

[itex] \hat{\phi} = - sin \phi \hat{i} + cos \phi \hat{j} [/itex]

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2∏ (x^2 + y^2)} (-sin \phi \hat{i} + cos \phi \hat{j}) [/itex]

is this it? Thanks for your help :)))

(type \pi for π in latex :wink:)
jhosamelly said:

[itex] \hat{\phi} = - sin \phi \hat{i} + cos \phi \hat{j} [/itex]

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2\pi (x^2 + y^2)} (-sin \phi \hat{i} + cos \phi \hat{j}) [/itex]

is this it? Thanks for your help :)))

that's it! :biggrin:

(except for the missing square-root :wink:)

(btw, now that you've got the idea, you don't need to find the shape of the field-lines …

that was just to help you visualise everything)

tiny-tim said:
(type \pi for π in latex :wink:)

that's it! :biggrin:

(except for the missing square-root :wink:)

(btw, now that you've got the idea, you don't need to find the shape of the field-lines …

that was just to help you visualise everything)

ow yah.. because its R^2.. hehe.. thanks for the reminder..

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2\pi (\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)})} (-sin \phi \hat{i} + cos \phi \hat{j}) [/itex]

is this ok now or should i also change sin to y/r and cos to x/r ??

jhosamelly said:
… should i also change sin to y/r and cos to x/r ??

yes! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes! :smile:

so the final answer is

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2\pi (\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)})} (-\frac{y}{r} \hat{i} + \frac{x}{r} \hat{j}) [/itex]

Thank you so much for your help.. :)) God Bless

Last edited:
hold on!

you need to change those r's to x and y also! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hold on!

you need to change those r's to x and y also! :wink:

ow.. ok. So, the final answer should be

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2\pi (\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)})} (-\frac{y}{\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)}} \hat{i} + \frac{x}{\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)}} \hat{j}) [/itex]

if i distribute [itex] \frac{\mu_{o} I }{2\pi (\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)})} [/itex][itex] \vec{B} = - \frac{\mu_{o} I y }{2 \pi (x^2 + y^2)} \hat{i} + \frac{\mu_{o} I x}{2 \pi (x^2 + y^2)} \hat{j} [/itex]
Thanks :))))) Because you helped me I'll return the favor by helping others here as well as much as I can ;))) Thank you so much

Last edited:
and how about multiplying those √s together? :wink:
jhosamelly said:
Thanks :))))) Because you helped me I'll return the favor by helping others here as well as much as I can ;))) Thank you so much

that's the way it works!:smile:

tiny-tim said:
and how about multiplying those √s together? :wink:

i think I already did this.. can you please look at my final answer to clarify. Thanks :)))

(ohh, you edited!)

yes, that's perfect! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(ohh, you edited!)

yes, that's perfect! :smile:

maybe I'm not yet done posting my answer when you saw it :)) (I need to save it first to see if all the "codes" for the equations are correct.) Big thanks! God Bless :)))) See you around.

1. What is the magnetic field equation in spherical coordinates?

The magnetic field equation in spherical coordinates is given by:
B = (μ0/4π) * (3(cosθ) * (r̂) - (sinθ) * (θ̂) - (cosφ) * (φ̂)) * (M/r^3)
where B is the magnetic field vector, μ0 is the permeability of free space, θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the z-axis, φ is the angle between the magnetic field and the x-axis, and M is the magnetic moment of the object.

2. How is the magnetic field in spherical coordinates converted to Cartesian coordinates?

The conversion from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates is given by:
x = r * sinθ * cosφ
y = r * sinθ * sinφ
z = r * cosθ
where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle between the point and the z-axis, and φ is the angle between the point and the x-axis. These values can then be used in the Cartesian form of the magnetic field equation.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic field equation in spherical coordinates?

The magnetic field equation in spherical coordinates is used to describe the magnetic field around an object with a magnetic moment in terms of spherical coordinates. It allows for a more simplified and intuitive way of understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in three-dimensional space.

4. How is the magnetic moment calculated in the magnetic field equation?

The magnetic moment, M, is a measure of the strength and direction of an object's magnetic field. It is calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the object by the area of the loop formed by the current. In mathematical terms, M = I * A, where I is the current and A is the area.

5. Can the magnetic field equation in spherical coordinates be used for any type of magnetic field?

Yes, the magnetic field equation in spherical coordinates can be used for any type of magnetic field, including those generated by permanent magnets, electromagnets, and natural magnetic fields. However, it is important to note that the equation assumes a point-like magnetic moment and may not be accurate for objects with more complex magnetic structures.