How to Discourage Dating & Become Friends

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I would try to be really polite, but I would never allow him to cook for me, because I don't trust him not to poison me.In summary, the best way to discourage someone from being interested in dating you and becoming friends is to never be alone with them and to keep a professional distance. You could also try to ask another coworker to call the guy for you.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I need to know the best way to discourage someone from being interested in dating you and become friends.

A guy I used to work with texted me Christmas Eve. I haven't spoken to him for at least a year. He had a crush on me when we worked together, but never approached me, he would discuss it with co-workers though. He's hysterically funny and an incredible cook. I was really sad when he was laid off because I could hear him from my cubicle and I'd be in tears sometimes from laughing so hard.

He wants to come over and make me his shrimp gumbo which is the most awesome gumbo I've ever tasted. I had asked him for the recipe, but he doesn't have one, so he said he'd show me how to make it. I would love that, but I know he "likes" me, so it would be awkward.

How do you discourage someone that you know is interested in dating you that you aren't interested in them, but would like to be friends, without making them uncomfortable? We were never "friends" as far as socializing, we were simply co-workers, so there is no existing "friendship".

And I want to know how to make that gumbo. :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
Give him your phone number and then when he calls a bunch of times don't answer (I'm kidding of course :wink:).

Seriously, don't go for the gumbo yet. You're right, you don't want to get his hopes up by setting up a "date" situation. The best thing to do is never be alone with the guy and keep a professional distance when you talk with him. Have him make gumbo at a friends house when you do a company get together and watch him then with tons of others around. Tell him you'd like to see how to make the Gumbo some time in the future when you have some free time to stall for time. When the atmosphere is a "friends" atmosphere with a bunch of friends/coworkers around you then you guys can develop as friends, when it is one on one...well, you get the idea. Oh, and don't drink.

Being brave and honest is probably best. Get it over and out of the way so things can continue without the atmosphere. :smile:

He sounds nice though, matbe he could keep you company in a more casual fashion.:tongue:

To Renge - The problem is that we have no mutual friends and we no longer work together, but your advice is excellent. All of my friends are scattered all over the globe, both of my girlfriends that I made friends with when I moved here have moved away. I had considered inviting some of the people that we both worked with over at the same time, but to be honest, although they are really nice people, they have young kids, live over an hour away from me, and are uber-religious. They are always inviting me to their parties, but I never go. Small children and praying just aren't my thing. These are people that come into my cubicle, grab my hands, and pray for me all of time. :smile:

The neighbors I had gotten to know well moved away a few months ago and the herd from hell moved in. Ack.

Kurdt, how do I do it though? If he came over in the hopes of starting a romance and I shot him down when it was just the two of us cooking, that would be awful. How do I say, sure, come over, but we're just friends, without making him feel awkward? Then of course, maybe he's no longer interested in me romantically, and I'd make him feel awkward by bringing it up. Is there any way to win in this situation?

Or perhaps I can ask Cyrus to call him?

Last edited:
Beware that to some people, making gumbo is a very involved routine, and time-consuming as a result. I knew an electrical engineer from Mississippi who would spend most of a day to make up a batch. If you invite him over and you're uncomfortable, you'll be uncomfortable for hours and hours. Is it worth it?

turbo-1 said:
Beware that to some people, making gumbo is a very involved routine, and time-consuming as a result. I knew an electrical engineer from Mississippi who would spend most of a day to make up a batch. If you invite him over and you're uncomfortable, you'll be uncomfortable for hours and hours. Is it worth it?
Oh turbo, if you tasted his gumbo, you would not ask that question. And you're right, it does take time. He also makes killer chili and homemade sausage. He was a professional chef once.

He'd be such a great friend, someone I could cook with, and he could change my light bulbs.

Don't listen to me Evo I'm weird, I wouldn't feel awkward either way I just like clarity. :smile:

Simply mention that you'd love for him to show you his gumbo shrimp so that you can make it for your long-distance boyfriend next time you get to see him.

That or casually slip into a conversation that you're actually lesbian (and, of course, happen to become straight again next time you find yourself a suitable man).

Kurdt said:
Don't listen to me Evo I'm weird, I wouldn't feel awkward either way I just like clarity. :smile:
I wish I could know how he'd take it. It would be easy if I didn't want to be friends, or get his recipe. I'd have no problem in just point blank turning him down.

Evo said:
How do you discourage someone that you know is interested in dating you that you aren't interested in them, but would like to be friends, without making them uncomfortable?
It would be easier to 'shoot him down' if you were doing him a favor rather than he doing one for you. Perhaps you could teach him how to make gumbo and then 'let' him do you one better.

So why don't you want to date him...just no spark there?

tmc said:
Simply mention that you'd love for him to show you his gumbo shrimp so that you can make it for your long-distance boyfriend next time you get to see him.
I was considering that. It wouldn't exactly be a lie, Kurdt *is* my volunteer imaginary boyfriend for December. But he's the kind of nice guy that would come over and show me and be miserable the whole time.

lisab said:
So why don't you want to date him...just no spark there?
He's obsessively clean. He spends over $300 a month on cleaners and disinfectants. Once a week he pours 7 gallons of bleach into his bathtub and let's it sit overnight. He disinfects his mailbox regularly. He threw a girl out of his place at 3am when she blew her nose and the tissue missed the trash can. He talked about that for weeks he was so grossed out.

Yeah, no spark.

Do you know anybody else who makes gumbo? Invite that person, too, and have a cook-off. Ask them each to invite another person as "judges" and have a little get-together. That's about as non-threatening as you can make the day, IMO.

One time, when my wife and I were renting a big old farm-house, the winter was getting pretty old, so we decided to have some fun. I had a friend who swore that his spaghetti sauce was the best in the world, when I knew damned well that mine was. We invited a crowd of friends over, and he and I spent all afternoon preparing our sauces, while people played cards, chatted, and drank my home-brewed beer (the braver or dumber ones, anyway - that stuff had a KICK!). The other guests had brought loaves of Italian bread so we could make garlic bread, and they brought salads, appetizers, etc. Unfortunately, we had an even number of (overly clever) guests, so when they voted after the feast, they engineered a tie and claimed that we needed to have another spaghetti cook-off before the matter could be settled. Frank was a really good cook, and we both picked up some ideas from each other. Normally, I don't like to cook with others or share my kitchen, but that was fun.

Evo said:
He's obsessively clean. He spends over $300 a month on cleaners and disinfectants. Once a week he pours 7 gallons of bleach into his bathtub and let's it sit overnight. He disinfects his mailbox regularly. He threw a girl out of his place at 3am when she blew her nose and the tissue missed the trash can. He talked about that for weeks he was so grossed out.

Maybe just let your kitchen get really messy before he comes over.

Your co-worker is monk the crime detective!?

I would say this. If you invite him over and its just you two, that's going to be seen as a date from his end. If you want him to show you how to make the Gumbo, I would seriously considering having people over. And have a guy friend there that also likes you so he might interpret that as you two going out even though your not. It will keep him at a distance.

"We tend to fire people on a friday, it avoids confrontations that way" - The Bobs

turbo-1 said:
Do you know anybody else who makes gumbo? Invite that person, too, and have a cook-off. Ask them each to invite another person as "judges" and have a little get-together. That's about as non-threatening as you can make the day, IMO.
My kitchen at this new place is too tiny. Two people in there at once would be too crowded.

Cyrus said:
Your co-worker is monk the crime detective!?
He makes Monk look like a slob.

I love Monk, I asked for the DVD's for christmas but I didn't get them :frown:

montoyas7940 said:
Maybe just let your kitchen get really messy before he comes over.
Bingo. Let him teach you how to make gumbo, then let a bit of it drop on the table. Swipe it up with your finger and pop it in your mouth.

jimmysnyder said:
Bingo. Let him teach you how to make gumbo, then let a bit of it drop on the table. Swipe it up with your finger and pop it in your mouth.
Oh, after he finishes cooking, I can "double dip" a spoon into it! But then he wouldn't want to be friends.

Evo said:
Oh, after he finishes cooking, I can "double dip" a spoon into it! But then he wouldn't want to be friends.
Sounds like remaining his friend would be a chore in any case. Eventually you'll end up eating donuts from a dumpster just to get a break.

jimmysnyder said:
Sounds like remaining his friend would be a chore in any case. Eventually you'll end up eating donuts from a dumpster just to get a break.
:rofl:

Evo said:
Oh turbo, if you tasted his gumbo, you would not ask that question. And you're right, it does take time. He also makes killer chili and homemade sausage. He was a professional chef once.

He'd be such a great friend, someone I could cook with, and he could change my light bulbs.
Is this the guy that makes the great sausage with jalapeños? Did he win or place in the chili contest?

I agree with Renge Ishyo's advice - and avoid one on one. Instead make sure you have friends over when he's over. A group get-together is much safer in terms of preventing any misunderstanding. If this guy only wants to be friends, that would seem fine, unless he's hoping for a closer relationship.

Does this guy know where you live? If not, do you want him to know?

I'd suggest you offer to set him up with a friend, but the close friends have moved away. Coworkers would probably be risky.

Astronuc said:
Is this the guy that makes the great sausage with jalapeños?
That sausage is from a butcher shop, and my source is a different co-worker.

Did he win or place in the chili contest?
He probably would have won if anyone had remembered whose chili they liked. Next year it was recommended that we have little cups with the pot numbers written on them. After you put six spoons of chili onto your plate, go back to your desk and eat them, you have no idea whose chili you liked. (most of them were horrible, I can't believe that anyone would eat that stuff, much less enter it in a contest)

Oh Evo, you make me laugh so..much..

So you don't want to date this man. You simply want the gumbo and/or the recipe for the gumbo, right?
First off, you could/could have planned this better. If you are the one that isn't interested, you go to his place for the food, that way you can leave when you want, not him leaving awkwardly when you are ready. It makes it much easier, especially if your kitchen is tiny, and you don't have to clean up if you don't want to. But you are smart, you know what you are doing... I guess..

Second, sucks that you don't have many friends, that's another thread.. but if you can muster one friend to go with you, that would make it less awkward in the end. It be like chewing glass for a while, but as you said, he's funny, I'm sure he'd engineer a way to have a convo.

Maybe he just wants to hang out with you as a friend? It's a lonely time a year..You know he 'likes' you.. haha, I like that wording. Woman up and just enjoy yourself, you said yourself he makes you laugh, so what if nothing sparks.. just be honest with him as the day/night is coming to a close. That's the best way.

Seriously though, Have fun with this. Enjoy yourself. Don't fret over things you can't control, like his feelings toward you and how to thwart them. Just do your own thing.

AND when it's over, come back and replay your whole evening on PF for all of us to disect!
=]]]]]

lol

Evo, what about having your daughters there when he comes over? To avoid the one-on-one situation.

mikeknick04 said:
Oh Evo, you make me laugh so..much..
Glad I can make you laugh. :biggrin:

So you don't want to date this man. You simply want the gumbo and/or the recipe for the gumbo, right?
His recipe and it would be nice to have a strong male friend to help out around the house.

First off, you could/could have planned this better. If you are the one that isn't interested, you go to his place for the food, that way you can leave when you want, not him leaving awkwardly when you are ready. It makes it much easier, especially if your kitchen is tiny, and you don't have to clean up if you don't want to.
I tried that when we worked together. I suggested going to his place when he had friends over and observe.

you know what you are doing... I guess..
Rarely.

Second, sucks that you don't have many friends, that's another thread..
Hey, I have a LOT of imaginary friends! And they call me, and write to me, and some even post here...really! :blushing:

Redbelly98 said:
Evo, what about having your daughters there when he comes over? To avoid the one-on-one situation.
I thought of that, but they would never do it. Go to your mom's to keep some strange man from hitting on her while she writes down his recipe? :uhh:

Good grief, two door to door Mormans just showed up at my door. I could invite them over for dinner.

He probably wouldn't want to be "just friends" with you. Forget the gumbo and google the recipe.

"I'd love for you to come over and cook gumbo, but with this [hepatitis/ mono/ leprosy/ bubonic plague/ rabies (choose one or more)] I haven't had much appetite lately."

Math Is Hard said:
"I'd love for you to come over and cook gumbo, but with this [hepatitis/ mono/ leprosy/ bubonic plague/ rabies (choose one or more)] I haven't had much appetite lately."
There's a lot of that going around...

Does Greg keep transcripts of chat? You know the one I'm thinking about - had to go to the bathroom "I washed my hands after, this time." That should give him pause.

He might be saving some of those for my commitment hearing. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Glad I can make you laugh. :biggrin:

His recipe and it would be nice to have a strong male friend to help out around the house.

You are liking this attention eh?

Haha, so you are 'using' him, or am I understanding that wrong?

Playing games is fun, but don't get upset if he suddenly take this the wrong way.

Enjoy yourself. :approve: