Basis for the indicated subspace

In summary: They must equal c, the zero vector, because x+y+z=0. Therefore, c=0, and thus c=0, which proves that A is a basis.
hi guys, i have no idea of how to do the following question, could u give some ideas?

Q:determine whether or not the given set forms a basis for the indicated subspace
{(1,-1,0),(0,1,-1)}for the subspace of R^3 consisting of all (x,y,z) such that x+y+z=0

how should i start?
i know the vectors are linearly independent, and then i think i need to show they span. but doesn't it require 3 vectors to prove span in R^3?

or maybe the (x,y,z) such that x+y+z=0 can be used somewhere? I know this will form a plane, but how should i say this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dealing with a subspace of R^3 here. Its dimension is not 3, although this doesn't mean that 3 or more vectors can't span it, of course. What does (-y-z, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1) tell you about the subspace?

radou said:
You are dealing with a subspace of R^3 here. Its dimension is not 3, although this doesn't mean that 3 or more vectors can't span it, of course. What does (-y-z, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1) tell you about the subspace?

thanks for reply. I get the last part, but i have trouble to interpret it.

this is what i have done so far:
because x+y+z=0 so y=-(x+z)
because the standard basis for R^3 is (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1)
so (x,y,z)=(x,-(x+z),z)=(1,0,0)x-(0,1,0)(x+z)+(0,0,1)z=(1,-1,0)x+(0,-1,1)z
but the numbers don't match, the question given is (1,-1,0) (0,1,-1), and I get (1,-1,0) (0,-1,1).

also in order to show a basis, we need to show linearly independent and span.
In this case, how should i prove the set of vectors span the subspace?
I tried this way, c1(1,-1,0)+c2(0,1,-1)=(u1,u2,u3)
and i get u1=c1 u2=c2-c1 u3=-c2 can this prove span?

Find really confused on this question, please help

To show it spans, consider (-y-z, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1), where y and z are in R. Thus, B = {(-1, 1, 0), (-1, 0, 1)} generates the subspace.

You have your original set A = {(1,-1,0), (0,1,-1)}. How does A relate to B? Can you write elements of B as a linear combination of elements from A?

VeeEight said:
To show it spans, consider (-y-z, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1), where y and z are in R. Thus, B = {(-1, 1, 0), (-1, 0, 1)} generates the subspace.

You have your original set A = {(1,-1,0), (0,1,-1)}. How does A relate to B? Can you write elements of B as a linear combination of elements from A?

Exactly, as my previous post, I consider (x,-(x+z),z)=(1,-1,0)x+(0,-1,1)z which is more obvious that elements of B can be write as a linear combination of elements from A, but the question is how should I link these things into a proof?
I can't just say because one is the linear combination of another, thus one set spans another, can i.

Here is my thinking, please help me to finish it, thank you!
If these two vectors (1,-1,0) and (0,1,-1)will span R^3 then for each u=(u1,u2,u3) in R^3 there must be scalars c1 and c2, so that
c1(1,-1,0)+c2(0,1,-1)=(u1,u2,u3)
then i get u1=c1 u2=c2-c1 u3=-c2, which means there will be exactly one solution to the system for each u, so span is proved?
Then should I related it to the x+y+z=0, to show it satisfy for the given subspace, or what?

Again, thank you for help me out!

No, your proof does not follow any order. You are asked to check that A is a basis

See what to do in post #4. If B spans X and elements in B are a linear combination of elements of A, then A also spans X.

164694605 said:
Exactly, as my previous post, I consider (x,-(x+z),z)=(1,-1,0)x+(0,-1,1)z which is more obvious that elements of B can be write as a linear combination of elements from A, but the question is how should I link these things into a proof?
I can't just say because one is the linear combination of another, thus one set spans another, can i.
Well, that's pretty much what "spans" means, isn't it?

Because any vector in this subspace can be written as x(1, -1, 0)+ z(0, -1, 1) {(1, -1, 0), (0, -1, 1) spans the given subspace. To prove it is a basis, all you need to do is show that they are independent. Suppose a(1, -1, 0)+ b(0, -1, 1)= (0, 0, 0). What must a and b equal?

1. What is the basis for the indicated subspace?

The basis for the indicated subspace refers to the set of vectors that span the subspace and are linearly independent. These vectors can be used to represent any vector within the subspace through linear combinations.

2. How is the basis for the indicated subspace determined?

The basis for the indicated subspace can be determined through various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Gram-Schmidt process, or finding the null space of the subspace's matrix representation. The specific method used depends on the given subspace and its properties.

3. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have multiple bases that span it. However, all bases for a specific subspace will have the same number of vectors, also known as the dimension of the subspace.

4. How does the basis for the indicated subspace relate to the dimension of the subspace?

The number of vectors in the basis for the indicated subspace is equal to the dimension of the subspace. This means that the basis vectors span the entire subspace and are necessary to represent any vector within it.

5. Can the basis for the indicated subspace change?

Yes, the basis for a subspace can change if the subspace itself changes. For example, if a subspace is transformed through a linear transformation, its basis will also change. However, the dimension of the subspace will remain the same.