QED as a gauge invariant theory

In summary: So for low energy e^+e^- collisions, there is essentially one diagram contributing.In summary, Feynman diagrams are used in QED to describe the interaction between an EM field and light/matter. The QED vertex consists of a photon and one particle before and after the interaction. An electron interacting with an EM field can be described as a virtual photon is transferred from the electron. However, a photon itself does not interact with the electric field as it carries no electric charge. In Feynman diagrams, the arrows on the propagators are conventional and help ensure charge conservation and matching momenta. The rate for a process involving n Feynman diagrams is not always proportional to n^2, as some diagrams may contribute
jmz34
I'm just beginning to learn about Feynman diagrams and wanted to make sure I've got the correct basic understanding of QED. This is what I believe to be true right now:

QED allows us to describe the interaction between an EM field and light/matter. The QED vertex is composed of a photon and one particle before and after the interaction. If for example an electron interacts with an EM field we can describe this interaction by saying that a virtual photon is transferred from the electron. This photon adds grad(a) to the vector potential of the field and -da/dt to the scalar potential, thus the field is unchanged.

If this is true, can we reverse the argument and say that a photon can interact with an EM field via the exchange of virtual electrons?

I may be completely wrong, just finding my lecture notes a bit difficult to comprehend.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. A photon carries no electric charge and as such does not interact with the electric field.

There is indeed a 1-loop contribution to the process [tex]\gamma\gamma \rightarrow\gamma\gamma[/tex]. Any charged particle can run in the loop, but the electron dominates because of its small mass.

Attachments

• gg-scat.gif
    gg-scat.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 555
Vanadium 50 said:
No. A photon carries no electric charge and as such does not interact with the electric field.

But a photon has an EM field? So is what I said about the electron interacting with the EM field correct?

Last edited:
fzero said:
There is indeed a 1-loop contribution to the process [tex]\gamma\gamma \rightarrow\gamma\gamma[/tex]. Any charged particle can run in the loop, but the electron dominates because of its small mass.

For the process (e+)(e-)->photon + photon the simplest Feynman diagram is just half of what you've drawn, but I'm confused about the propagator. I initially joined the two vertices for the above process with a line propagator (with no arrow) but in your diagram you have included arrows. I initially thought that vertices that coincide at the same time cannot have any arrows because it could mean the transfer of a particle of anti particle. On the other hand vertices that do not correspond to the same time can have an arrow on the propagator joining them since we know which way the particle is going (forwards in time). My time axis is horizontal by the way.

I think I see the answer now. If we know the direction of the arrows for the horizontal propagators then we must know those of the vertical propagators.

Last edited:
jmz34 said:
For the process (e+)(e-)->photon + photon the simplest Feynman diagram is just half of what you've drawn, but I'm confused about the propagator. I initially joined the two vertices for the above process with a line propagator (with no arrow) but in your diagram you have included arrows. I initially thought that vertices that coincide at the same time cannot have any arrows because it could mean the transfer of a particle of anti particle. On the other hand vertices that do not correspond to the same time can have an arrow on the propagator joining them since we know which way the particle is going (forwards in time). My time axis is horizontal by the way.

I think I see the answer now. If we know the direction of the arrows for the horizontal propagators then we must know those of the vertical propagators.

I'm not sure what you mean about vertices coinciding in time. If we were to compute this amplitude in spacetime rather than momentum space, we would integrate over the location of the vertices. In any case, the arrows are conventional. Matching the directions of the arrows when forming diagrams helps to ensure that charge is conserved, momenta match up, etc. In the case of the loop, they correspond to the direction of the momentum going around the loop.

fzero said:
I'm not sure what you mean about vertices coinciding in time. If we were to compute this amplitude in spacetime rather than momentum space, we would integrate over the location of the vertices. In any case, the arrows are conventional. Matching the directions of the arrows when forming diagrams helps to ensure that charge is conserved, momenta match up, etc. In the case of the loop, they correspond to the direction of the momentum going around the loop.

OK that makes sense, thanks.

Quick question, if there are n Feynman diagrams possible at first order say, is the rate proportional to n^2? I would have thought so since the matrix element is given by the expression M=M1+M2+M3+... where 1,2 and 3 are the consecutive orders. I've been looking at a few examples that say the rate is proportional to n- which is why I'm confused.

jmz34 said:
Quick question, if there are n Feynman diagrams possible at first order say, is the rate proportional to n^2? I would have thought so since the matrix element is given by the expression M=M1+M2+M3+... where 1,2 and 3 are the consecutive orders. I've been looking at a few examples that say the rate is proportional to n- which is why I'm confused.

I wouldn't say that the question is one that can be answered in general, since to get the rate, we have to compute [tex]|M|^2[/tex] and integrate over phase space. Generally some diagrams will contribute more or less to the computation.

For instance [tex]e^+e^-\rightarrow e^+e^-[/tex] gets contributions from either an intermediate photon or [tex]Z^0[/tex] particle. When the energy of the initial particles is very small, the contribution from the intermediate [tex]Z^0[/tex] is extremely small.

1. What is QED as a gauge invariant theory?

QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles and photons. It is considered a gauge invariant theory, meaning that it is invariant under local transformations of its fundamental fields.

2. Why is gauge invariance important in QED?

Gauge invariance is important in QED because it ensures that the theory is consistent and maintains its physical predictions under transformations of its fundamental fields. It also allows for the inclusion of an arbitrary gauge field, such as the electromagnetic field, without affecting the physical results of the theory.

3. How does gauge invariance manifest in QED equations?

Gauge invariance is manifested in QED equations through the introduction of gauge fields, such as the electromagnetic field, and the use of gauge covariant derivatives. These derivatives ensure that the equations remain unchanged under gauge transformations, thus preserving the gauge invariance of the theory.

4. What are the experimental evidences for the gauge invariance of QED?

Experimental evidence for the gauge invariance of QED can be seen in the consistency and accuracy of the theory's predictions with various experimental results, such as the Lamb Shift, anomalous magnetic moment of the electron, and the fine structure of the hydrogen atom. Additionally, the success of QED in predicting and explaining a wide range of phenomena in particle physics is a testament to its gauge invariance.

5. Are there any limitations to the gauge invariance of QED?

While gauge invariance is a fundamental aspect of QED, there are some limitations to its use. For example, in certain extreme conditions such as high energy or high temperature environments, the symmetry of gauge invariance may be broken, leading to the need for more advanced theories such as the Standard Model to accurately describe the interactions between particles. Additionally, the inclusion of gravity in QED poses challenges to maintaining gauge invariance, leading to the need for a unified theory of quantum gravity.