Do the teachers at 4 year colleges usually give study guides for exams?

In summary, for engineering/math classes at 4-year colleges, it is not common for teachers to provide study guides before exams. The review sessions before exams may not be helpful as many students may not have questions or have a solid understanding of the material. However, students may have access to past exams with worked-out solutions, which can serve as practice and give an idea of the level of difficulty and length of the exams. Projects may or may not be assigned, depending on the professor and the class.
land_of_ice
(For engineering / math classes) at some of the 4 year colleges, (in California or anywhere really,) what is the semester usually like as far as review days before tests, study guides for exams and tests, and quizzes?

Do the teachers provide any of the above? And also, do you usually have projects that are due?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience in college, if anything I'll get a piece of paper listing possible topics on my exam. I haven't seen a study guide since high school though.

land_of_ice said:
(For engineering / math classes) at some of the 4 year colleges, (in California or anywhere really,) what is the semester usually like as far as review days before tests, study guides for exams and tests, and quizzes?

Do the teachers provide any of the above? And also, do you usually have projects that are due?

It's unusual for a study guide to be given, in my experience. Everything that was covered in class, in the homework, in the text/other reading, or anything else the prof wants to put on the test...consider that the study guide.

Projects...depends on the class. Some profs assign them, others don't. Typical lower division math and science classes don't have projects, but that really depends on the prof.

If you want a study guide in college, highlight and note the concepts that are stressed in lectures and recitations. Don't take verbatim notes - figure out what your profs and instructors are steering you to, and take the lead. Try to get a little more in-depth in those directions than you would if you were just "coasting" through a course, and be prepared to demonstrate a level of understanding that others in your class don't.

Last edited:
land_of_ice said:

None of my science and mathematics professors have given study guides. They've considered the review questions at the end of the chapter on which you're being tested to be perfectly suited for studying. :biggrin: Although, I'm not sure how you're defining a study guide.

Oh man study guides? I haven't seen one of those in years!

Depending on the prof, usually the lecture before the exam will be dedicated to a review session where people can have questions on hand. In my experience, few people have questions and it's usually a waste

Pengwuino said:
Oh man study guides? I haven't seen one of those in years!

Depending on the prof, usually the lecture before the exam will be dedicated to a review session where people can have questions on hand. In my experience, few people have questions and it's usually a waste
Things never change, oily burd. Back over 40 years ago, it was the same. The "review" sessions were last-minute desperation ploys, and the students that attended them hadn't gotten the foundation to benefit from them, anyway. Waste of time, all around.

Disclaimer: I'm only a first year undergrad, so I can mainly only speak to intro classes.

Though study guides are not given, one can get past exams (some with worked out solutions). Which I think is actually more helpful.

DR13 said:
Disclaimer: I'm only a first year undergrad, so I can mainly only speak to intro classes.

Though study guides are not given, one can get past exams (some with worked out solutions). Which I think is actually more helpful.
You have access to worked-out solutions to exam questions?. Pleas tell me that I have not understood you. If not, your college intends to suck out tuition money for 4 years, and pass you out as a functional scientist, while you are a low-functioning illiterate. Unless you are willing to put in the work required the master the material that YOU PAID FOR THEM to teach you, you are cheating yourself. The whole point of learning is to learn, not to buy a degree.

turbo-1 said:
You have access to worked-out solutions to exam questions?. Pleas tell me that I have not understood you. If not, your college intends to suck out tuition money for 4 years, and pass you out as a functional scientist, while you are a low-functioning illiterate. Unless you are willing to put in the work required the master the material that YOU PAID FOR THEM to teach you, you are cheating yourself. The whole point of learning is to learn, not to buy a degree.

Not entirely sure why you are all up in arms. They are past exams/exam solutions. From what I gather, the practice is actually quite common. If the professor is worth anything, the exam questions are varied enough that the past exams serve only to illustrate the level of difficulty and length of exam more so than any specific exam material.

turbo-1 said:

Ok... I'll skip the rant and just respond to your points.
They are past exams and there are completely new exams every year. I really do not see the problem. I take a practice exam without looking at the answers, then go over it to see where I went wrong. If there weren't worked out solutions (just the correct letter answer to the question), I could only know if I was right or wrong and not know how I was wrong. I honestly do not see a problem with this. Maybe you misunderstood something.

when i was a student, no one would dream of doing it, but 20 years later as a teacher, i gradually morphed into providing them. i.e. it is considered extreme hand holding but so many students today are so weak that it has become almost necessary.

mathwonk said:
when i was a student, no one would dream of doing it, but 20 years later as a teacher, i gradually morphed into providing them. i.e. it is considered extreme hand holding but so many students today are so weak that it has become almost necessary.

Yeesh. I don't feel like it's hand holding. It's a learning tool. The more practice you have at something, the better you get at it.

mathwonk said:

It's interesting that you look at this way, would you mind elaborating on exactly why you think it is extreme hand holding? Obviously I don't really agree and here's why:

In my experiences, the practice exams just gauge mostly the length and breadth of the exam, and the contents are not necessarily related to the actual exam contents. Note, this is my experience with physics exams, and I think for upper division physics classes the practice is even more beneficial. I say this because often questions on the problem sets can be quite long and computational, so it is substantially different from a 1.5-2hr sit down exam (For this reason, take-home exams seem to be popular). Of course, the successful student should know how to do everything anyways, but a similar argument could be made against problem sets. At any rate, the only situation where I felt like a practice exam is in any way 'hand holding' or 'cheap' (as some might say), was integral calculus where the real exams mirrored the take home exams with slight variations in parameters. I.e. you had your u substitution question, your question on series convergence, etc. and they were all fundamentally the same on all exams.

I did my undergrad at a small masters university. I never got an old exam to study from. And very rarely was a lecture before an exam dedicated to review.

DR13 said:
Yeesh. I don't feel like it's hand holding. It's a learning tool. The more practice you have at something, the better you get at it.

I am on the side of mathwonk here. The problem with "Here are questions, here are their solutions" is that most students will simply fumble around using random equations until their answer = actual answer. What ends up happening is that the instructor will change one little part of the question and the students fall apart on the question. It's especially bad when the solutions are given as a step by step procedure because students memorize those steps and again, instructor changes something and they have no idea what to do.

Of course, I really do mean most and not all.

Hell, it's almost the end of the semester and some of my students still have trouble knowing when and how to use kinematic equations.

For the exams in the physics courses I've taken, old exams were available with final answers only. The exams had questions of a similar type, but they differed quite a bit each exam. (The exams were four questions only, and were quite fun...)

you guys who do not think this is hand holding have apparently been coddled for so long you don't even know what it means to do your own work. some hopeless clown asked my freshman calc professor what was going to be on our exam, and the answer was "the content of the course!" the idea is that it is your job to review the material, outline it, and learn it. the more you do on your own the better you learn. get a clue. the sooner the better, for you.

I think it's hand holding. (I just do the physics practice exams for the fun...)

I would not give out study guides. I'd also make exam questions doable, but harder than the material covered in class. If I taught a course, my students would hate me.

mathwonk said:
you guys who do not think this is hand holding have apparently been coddled for so long you don't even know what it means to do your own work. some hopeless clown asked my freshman calc professor what was going to be on our exam, and the answer was "the content of the course!" the idea is that it is your job to review the material, outline it, and learn it. the more you do on your own the better you learn. get a clue. the sooner the better, for you.

I had a prof who taught a lot of my math classes and I thought it was hilarious what she would do. She would have a list right before every exam of what was going to be on the exam.

It was everything she had covered.

Sometimes even hand holding doesn't help. I remember once I passed out a sheet of 20 questions and said, "If you can do all these questions, you'll be well prepared for the exam". The exam was the same sheet, with the instruction, "Answer any 5 questions".

I still had students flunk it.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sometimes even hand holding doesn't help. I remember once I passed out a sheet of 20 questions and said, "If you can do all these questions, you'll be well prepared for the exam". The exam was the same sheet, with the instruction, "Answer any 5 questions".

Did you say anything? Like "If you failed this class, you're hopeless"?

I don't give out study guides, but I release my old exams for classes on my class websites (with keys). Without exams being numbered (and sometimes even if they are) there's a chance that an exam gets taken and stored in a Frat or Sorority file... so I just post them so all students have access to them. With a key, some students use them as study guides.

Sometimes, like Vanadium, I'll use old questions over again (and yes, students will still flunks those)... although I've never used exactly the same test. Often, I just change a word or two, especially on long multiple choice tests -- for example, changing the question from asking about frequency to asking about wavelength completely inverts the correct response. On problem-based tests, I'll often use the same geometry, but change the charge distribution slightly, etc. (With this kind of similarity, it covers my ___, err... it lowers the chances that students complain about tests being "unfair" etc. -- and when my students still fail an EXACT problem, they usually cower in their chairs, improve their work and study habits, or drop the course.)

Maybe it's hand-holding (maybe not). It's better than I got (at a small liberal arts school). I think SOMETIMES professors posted an equation sheet if one was to be given during the exam. But that was in the days before classes had internet sites and ways of easily storing/posting these materials, so who knows what my professors may have chosen to do with those tools available.

Vanadium 50 said:

Wow... How could someone not ace that?

mathwonk said:
So true! I fought hard for my grades in Engineering, and I would have been seriously ticked off if the profs had handed out all kinds of hints and practice sheets to help clueless students bring up their exam scores. After all, I was paying for my education, not for a grade-transcript and a piece of paper to hang on the wall. I had no loans and worked my way through school with a little financial help from my parents. I knew what I was paying for, and I would have been really burnt if the profs had diluted the process by inflating the grades of the clueless.

DR13 said:
Wow... How could someone not ace that?

By doing something other than taking advantage of the opportunity that was given, I'm guessing. I'm amazed by the number of classmates I see/know who choose to do things other than study for exams.

Pengwuino said:
I had a prof who taught a lot of my math classes and I thought it was hilarious what she would do. She would have a list right before every exam of what was going to be on the exam.

It was everything she had covered.

My Calc I, II, & III professor did basically the same thing; when asked what would be on the test, he always replied, "If you can do all of the review questions at the end of the chapter, then you'll be prepared for the exam. You should also go over your notes from the lectures." When students complained, he suggested that they come to office hours, get tutoring, or drop the class.

Pengwuino said:
The problem with "Here are questions, here are their solutions" is that most students will simply fumble around using random equations until their answer = actual answer.

I didn't realize how common this was until I started grading in grad school. It's amazing how some students seem to find that answer in the back of the book regardless of whether their logic leading up to it makes sense!

I've never had study guides in university, but many professors post past exams along with solutions. These are very helpful because they show you how in-depth you're expected to know the material, and how detailed the professor expects your solution to be. Otherwise, test scores would be influenced by the students' assumptions about the test, and I don't find that fair.

I don't see how study guides could be considered hand-holding. It's not as if having a general overview of the course, which is what a study guide should be, magically makes you understand the concepts or know how to apply all the equations. In fact, I think that emphasizing important concepts over minor details should be an essential part of the course, not just something to be put on a study guide.

I want to apologize for my rather rude and boorish comments, questions of accuracy aside.

Obviously someone who is learning needs a bit of patience until he learns.

Those who stated the value of sample questions etc... are quite right.

What they may not realize, is the value is greatest to that person who prepares the review.

Hence when I prepare a review for my students, or a sample test, it is I who get the most benefit.

That is not the desired outcome, So at a certain point, we wish the student to transition to making this review preparation on his own.

Obviously however one does not achieve this result by insulting the student as I did.

Please forgive me and keep up the struggle to understand.

mathwonk said:
I want to apologize for my rather rude and boorish comments, questions of accuracy aside.

Obviously someone who is learning needs a bit of patience until he learns.

Those who stated the value of sample questions etc... are quite right.

What they may not realize, is the value is greatest to that person who prepares the review.

Hence when I prepare a review for my students, or a sample test, it is I who get the most benefit.

That is not the desired outcome, So at a certain point, we wish the student to transition to making this review preparation on his own.

Obviously however one does not achieve this result by insulting the student as I did.

Please forgive me and keep up the struggle to understand.
Your comments were not out-of-line, IMO. I was the very first person in my extended family (both sides) to ever attend college. I paid for almost all of it by myself with savings, summer jobs, and work during the school years (repairing and restoring tube amps and guitars). My parents helped out when they could. I would have felt extremely insulted and abandoned if the engineering school had allowed the profs and instructors to coach low-performing students to get better scores on exams and finals. Learn the material, learn the procedures for manipulating the variables facing you, and learn how to interpret and present the results. If you can't pull this off, you haven't gotten the education that you paid for.

I can't tell you how disappointing it is as a process chemist to get saddled with a newly-minted chemical engineer. You have to teach the engineer everything related to the processes at your mill, so that he can be your boss, because he is an "engineer".

G01 said:
I didn't realize how common this was until I started grading in grad school. It's amazing how some students seem to find that answer in the back of the book regardless of whether their logic leading up to it makes sense!

I KNOW right! "The force is equal to F = ma, the mass is .5kg, the sky is blue and my house is 2400 sq feet, therefore the energy of the rocket is 900J"

Pengwuino said:
I KNOW right! "The force is equal to F = ma, the mass is .5kg, the sky is blue and my house is 2400 sq feet, therefore the energy of the rocket is 900J"
And the answer is 42!

turbo-1 said:
I would have felt extremely insulted and abandoned if the engineering school had allowed the profs and instructors to coach low-performing students to get better scores on exams and finals. Learn the material, learn the procedures for manipulating the variables facing you, and learn how to interpret and present the results. If you can't pull this off, you haven't gotten the education that you paid for.
Why go to school then? Isn't lecturing coaching them to do well on finals, as well? An did you ever do any examples in classes or used a textbook that had worked examples? Because I don't see any difference in that and providing past exams with worked solutions. Doing the latter isn't necessarily teaching to test (which, I agree, should never be done), and you can still change tests year to year, so that people can't just memorize the steps without understanding them.

I don't know, perhaps we should just have people studying at home then, paying full tuition fees nonetheless, and being forbidden from ever being told the answers to problems. That way all knowledge gained will be absolutely pure and immaculate.

Vanadium 50 said:

This is entirely consistent with one of the basic design flaws in homo sapiens: the average member of the species can learn, but can not be taught.

Most other mammals has the same design flaw, but for some reason we don't find it odd when say cats or rats behave like that.

<h2>1. What is a study guide?</h2><p>A study guide is a document or tool created by a teacher or professor to help students prepare for exams. It typically includes a summary of key concepts, important terms, and practice questions.</p><h2>2. Do all teachers at 4 year colleges provide study guides?</h2><p>No, not all teachers at 4 year colleges provide study guides. Some may prefer to use other methods of exam preparation, such as review sessions or practice quizzes.</p><h2>3. Are study guides helpful for exam preparation?</h2><p>Yes, study guides can be very helpful for exam preparation. They provide a structured review of important information and can help students identify areas they need to focus on.</p><h2>4. Can students rely solely on study guides to pass exams?</h2><p>It is not recommended for students to solely rely on study guides to pass exams. While they can be a useful tool, it is important for students to also attend class, take notes, and actively engage with the material throughout the semester.</p><h2>5. Are study guides created by the teacher always accurate?</h2><p>Study guides created by the teacher may not always be completely accurate, as they are created by humans who may make mistakes. It is important for students to also consult other resources and verify information from study guides.</p>

1. What is a study guide?

A study guide is a document or tool created by a teacher or professor to help students prepare for exams. It typically includes a summary of key concepts, important terms, and practice questions.

2. Do all teachers at 4 year colleges provide study guides?

No, not all teachers at 4 year colleges provide study guides. Some may prefer to use other methods of exam preparation, such as review sessions or practice quizzes.

3. Are study guides helpful for exam preparation?

Yes, study guides can be very helpful for exam preparation. They provide a structured review of important information and can help students identify areas they need to focus on.

4. Can students rely solely on study guides to pass exams?

It is not recommended for students to solely rely on study guides to pass exams. While they can be a useful tool, it is important for students to also attend class, take notes, and actively engage with the material throughout the semester.

5. Are study guides created by the teacher always accurate?

Study guides created by the teacher may not always be completely accurate, as they are created by humans who may make mistakes. It is important for students to also consult other resources and verify information from study guides.