Statistics help - Scatter plot, regression

In summary, the students spent different amounts of time studying the spelling words. The correlation coefficient was found to be .68, and the coefficient of determination was found to be 68%. The slope of the best fitting regression line for predicting number wrong was found to be 30%, and the intercept was found to be -.7698.
Calculator14
Statistics help -- Scatter plot, regression

Homework Statement

Consider the following data set for ten first grade students; the variables are the number of minutes spent learning a list of spelling words and the number wrong on the spelling test. [15 points total]

(supposed to be a chart)
STUDENT A B C D E F G H I J
MINUTES 25 28 30 31 31 35 36 38 40 50
WRONG 12 10 8 1 6 4 4 3 2 1

a. Describe the scatter plot: form, direction, and strength. [3 points]
b. Determine the value of the correlation coefficient.
c. Determine the value of the coefficient of determination (state as a percent).
d. Find the slope of the best fitting regression line for predicting number wrong.
e. Find the intercept of this regression line.
f. Present the equation of this best fitting regression line.
g. If another student now studies the list for 32 minutes, use the equation to predict his number wrong.
h. If that student’s actual number wrong is 8, determine the residual associated with this prediction.
i. Plot the regression line on your scatterplot. (submit this plot)
j. Are there any outliers? If so, give the coordinates.
k. Are there any influential points? If so, give the coordinates.
l. Suppose another student studies the list for 60 minutes. Predict his number wrong.
m. Comment on this prediction.

Homework Equations

y = mx+b
y-b=mx
??

The Attempt at a Solution

a.strong; positive
b. 4.65
c. 68%
d. ?
e. 30
f. 28
g. ?
h. ?
I don't understand how to do this, please help:(

Physics news on Phys.org

Calculator14 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following data set for ten first grade students; the variables are the number of minutes spent learning a list of spelling words and the number wrong on the spelling test. [15 points total]

(supposed to be a chart)
STUDENT A B C D E F G H I J
MINUTES 25 28 30 31 31 35 36 38 40 50
WRONG 12 10 8 1 6 4 4 3 2 1

a. Describe the scatter plot: form, direction, and strength. [3 points]
b. Determine the value of the correlation coefficient.
c. Determine the value of the coefficient of determination (state as a percent).
d. Find the slope of the best fitting regression line for predicting number wrong.
e. Find the intercept of this regression line.
f. Present the equation of this best fitting regression line.
g. If another student now studies the list for 32 minutes, use the equation to predict his number wrong.
h. If that student’s actual number wrong is 8, determine the residual associated with this prediction.
i. Plot the regression line on your scatterplot. (submit this plot)
j. Are there any outliers? If so, give the coordinates.
k. Are there any influential points? If so, give the coordinates.
l. Suppose another student studies the list for 60 minutes. Predict his number wrong.
m. Comment on this prediction.

Homework Equations

y = mx+b
y-b=mx
??

The Attempt at a Solution

a.strong; positive
b. 4.65
c. 68%
d. ?
e. 30
f. 28
g. ?
h. ?
I don't understand how to do this, please help:(

Welcome to the PF.

Can you please show us your work on the answers that you were able to calculate? That will help us a lot. Thanks.

my work for this problem is..

b) -.4096 = (3.8137/7.1678) r
r = -.7698

c) (-.7698)^2

d) y= -.4096x +19.1903

e) m=-.4096

f) y = -.4096x = 19.1903

g) y = -.4096 (32) + 19.1903
y=6.0831

h) 8 - 6.0831 = 1.9169

i) ?

j) (31,1)

k) graphed

l) y= -.4096(60) + 19.1903 = -5.3857

m)?

1. What is a scatter plot?

A scatter plot is a graphical representation of data points on a two-dimensional coordinate system, with one variable plotted on the x-axis and the other variable plotted on the y-axis. It is used to show the relationship or pattern between the two variables.

2. How do you interpret a scatter plot?

The overall pattern of the scatter plot can be interpreted by looking at the direction, strength, and form of the relationship between the two variables. The direction can be positive (as one variable increases, so does the other), negative (as one variable increases, the other decreases), or no relationship. The strength can be determined by how closely the data points cluster together. The form can be linear (a straight line), curved, or no pattern.

3. What is regression analysis?

Regression analysis is a statistical technique used to examine the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It helps to understand how the value of the dependent variable changes when the independent variable(s) change.

4. How do you create a regression line on a scatter plot?

To create a regression line on a scatter plot, you need to use a statistical software or a graphing calculator. The regression line is drawn to represent the best-fit line through the data points. It is calculated based on the least squares method, which minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the observed data points and the predicted values on the line.

5. Can you predict values using a regression line?

Yes, a regression line can be used to predict values for the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variable(s). However, it's important to note that the predictions are most accurate within the range of the data used to create the regression line. Extrapolating beyond the range of the data can result in less accurate predictions.