Epsilon Delta Limit Solved

In summary, when approaching the limit of a function, we can use the factoring method to simplify the expression and make it easier to manipulate. In this case, by choosing |x-2| < 1 and |x-4| < ε/5, we can make |x+4||x-2| < ε, which is necessary in order to solve for the limit. Additionally, in the case of a function that is not easily factorable, we can choose values near the limit point that make the expression simpler to work with, ultimately leading to the solution.
ƒ(x)
For part A, (described here: http://www.cramster.com/solution/solution/1157440) I don't understand why they say |x-2| < 1 and why [itex]\delta[/itex] = min{1,ε/5}

In case you can't view the page:

lim x2+2x-5 = 3, x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2
Let ε > 0 and L = 3.

|x2 + 2x -5 -3| < ε
|x2 + 2x - 8| < ε
|x+4||x-2| < ε

If |x-2| < 1, x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] (1,3) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] x+2 [itex]\in[/itex] (3,5)
|x-2| < 1 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] |x+2| < 5
|x-2| < 1 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] |x2 +2x - 8| = |x-4||x+2| < 5|x-4|

For ε > 0, 5|x-4| < ε [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] |x-4| < [itex]\frac{ε}{5}[/itex]

If [itex]\delta[/itex] = min{1,[itex]\frac{ε}{5}[/itex]}
|x-2| < [itex]\delta[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] |x2 + 2x - 8| < 5|x-4| < ε

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ƒ(x)! :smile:
ƒ(x) said:
I don't understand why they say |x-2| < 1 and why [itex]\delta[/itex] = min{1,ε/5}

|x+4||x-2| < ε

because if δ < 1, then |x+4| < 5

and if δ < ε/5, then |x-2| < ε/5 (obviously!)

so |x+4||x-2| < 5*ε/5 = ε :wink:

(though i don't see why they say |x-2| < 1 either :redface:)

tiny-tim said:

because if δ < 1, then |x+4| < 5

and if δ < ε/5, then |x-2| < ε/5 (obviously!)

so |x+4||x-2| < 5*ε/5 = ε :wink:

(though i don't see why they say |x-2| < 1 either :redface:)

Can you explain yourself a little further? I tend to be rather slow about this kind of thing.

ƒ(x) said:
Can you explain yourself a little further? I tend to be rather slow about this kind of thing.

you want the product to be < ε

one easy way to do this (there are others) is to make one of them < 1 and the other < ε

but that won't work in this case, since |4+x| isn't going to be < 1

however, it will be < 5,

so we make one of them < 5 and the other < ε/5 :smile:

tiny-tim said:
you want the product to be < ε

one easy way to do this (there are others) is to make one of them < 1 and the other < ε

but that won't work in this case, since |4+x| isn't going to be < 1

however, it will be < 5,

so we make one of them < 5 and the other < ε/5 :smile:

So, for a different problem, part (c) on the link, I have:

lim x^3 + 2x + 1 = 4, x --> 1

Let ε > and L = 4

|x-1| < δ, |x^3 +2x - 3| < ε

But this one doesn't factor...[EDIT] wait, yes it does (I peeked at the solution, how do I factor this by myself?).

|x-1||x^2 + x + 3| < ε

(just got up :zzz: …)

ok, so |x-1| < δ,

and you can obviously choose x near 4 so that |x2 + x + 3| < 33 …

so how would you finish the proof? :smile:
ƒ(x) said:
But this one doesn't factor...[EDIT] wait, yes it does (I peeked at the solution, how do I factor this by myself?).

you just have to guess …

in an exam, they won't give you anything difficult, so start with ±1, and work your way upwards! :wink:

1. What is the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method?

The Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method is a mathematical technique used to rigorously prove the limit of a function. It involves choosing an arbitrary value (epsilon) and finding a corresponding value (delta) that will ensure that the function's output is within epsilon of the desired limit for all inputs within a certain range.

2. Why is the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method important?

The Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to prove the limit of a function. This is especially useful in higher level mathematics and in applications where accuracy is critical.

3. How is the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method used?

The Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method is used by choosing an arbitrary value (epsilon) and then finding a corresponding value (delta) that will ensure that the function's output is within epsilon of the desired limit for all inputs within a certain range. This process is repeated until a satisfactory delta value is found.

4. What are the advantages of using the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method?

One of the main advantages of using the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method is that it provides a rigorous and precise way to prove the limit of a function. Additionally, it can be used for a wide range of functions, making it a versatile tool in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method?

While the Epsilon Delta Limit Solved method is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for more complicated functions. Additionally, it may not work for all types of functions, such as those that are discontinuous or have infinite limits.