We've came a long way with inverters

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary: The vibrator chopped the DC and fed it through a transformer to make it work. The vibrator was wasteful and I think they are all long gone.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While looking into the early electrolytic rectifiers inspired by tiny-tims post in the "Question about polarized capacitors" thread, I got to thinking about these mechanical vibrators used in early auto radios for generating a.c.

http://www.redwoodradio.com/images/Radio_Vib_400.jpg

I bet there are a few old members here that remember them?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have replaced many of them in car radios. I noticed that the "vibrator" pictured operates on 6 Volts! That's really an ancient relic... a museum piece!

"I bet there are a few old members here that remember them?"

takes me right back to my '49 Buick Roadmaster...
push-pull 6V6's and a Jensen speaker in rear deck.
WVCG was local classical music station..

They were not only used in car radios they were used in large console radios as well. Back in the day a lot of places did not have comercial power available so radios were manufactured to run on batteries. They used tubes that had a 1 volt filament or very close to this, all in series. I have one, it works other than having a bad audio output transformer. Of course this was after cleaning up the points in the vibrator. THE hardest metal I have ever run a file across.

Bobbywhy said:
I have replaced many of them in car radios. I noticed that the "vibrator" pictured operates on 6 Volts! That's really an ancient relic... a museum piece!

We both are probably museum pieces. :devil:

jim hardy said:
"I bet there are a few old members here that remember them?"

takes me right back to my '49 Buick Roadmaster...
push-pull 6V6's and a Jensen speaker in rear deck.
WVCG was local classical music station..

Ah. The 6V6. Makes me want to touch B+.

Averagesupernova said:
They were not only used in car radios they were used in large console radios as well. Back in the day a lot of places did not have comercial power available so radios were manufactured to run on batteries. They used tubes that had a 1 volt filament or very close to this, all in series. I have one, it works other than having a bad audio output transformer. Of course this was after cleaning up the points in the vibrator. THE hardest metal I have ever run a file across.

I guess I don't remember seeing any of these. :cool:

dlgoff said:
I guess I don't remember seeing any of these. :cool:

See? You aren't that old. Haha.

i have a couple battery sets in barn, they use #30 tube with a "B" battery

bad audio output transformer..

Hammond still makes a nice line of tube output transformers...
http://www.hammondmfg.com/5caud.htm

I remember my parents having a battery operated "portable" tube radio. If I remember correctly, it used a 96 volt battery. I was very young and don't remember hearing a vibrator.

Thanks for the link Jim. I am familiar with Hammond because of their enclosures but until now the output transformer had been low enough on the priority list so I had not really given it a thought. But it was nice to have been given a reminder.

Rotary converters still have their place in the scope of inverter technology. Benefits include buffering of input power and pure sinusoid output. These were amongst the very first AC-DC/DC-AC converter devices.

cmb said:
Rotary converters still have their place in the scope of inverter technology. Benefits include buffering of input power and pure sinusoid output. These were amongst the very first AC-DC/DC-AC converter devices.

indeed, and their overload characteristics for fault clearing are better. We used one with a half ton flywheel for "ride through"

dlgoff said:
I remember my parents having a battery operated "portable" tube radio. If I remember correctly, it used a 96 volt battery. I was very young and don't remember hearing a vibrator.
It probably used two batteries, the high voltage one and a low voltage low impedance battery for the filaments. Maybe it clipped to a car battery for a longer life?

The vibrator allowed a car battery to operate a valve radio, by chopping the DC and feeding it through a transformer. Vibrators are wasteful.

Averagesupernova said:
My father's cars (yes, starting back in the 50s) had 6v6 output tubes for a long time. DELCO made a lot of car radios. It took a while to get them warmed up, but they were quite reliable and durable. I used to try to repair and restore smaller guitar amps when I was a kid (HS-age) and I certainly wasn't above going through the local car bone-yards to scavenge tubes!

What are inverters and how do they work?

Inverters are electronic devices that convert direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC). They work by taking the DC power from a battery or solar panel and using electronic circuitry to switch it back and forth, creating an AC current.

Why are inverters important?

Inverters are important because they allow us to use DC power sources, such as batteries and solar panels, to power AC devices. This is essential for many modern appliances and electronics that require AC power to function.

How have inverters evolved over time?

Inverters have come a long way since their early days as simple mechanical switches. They have become smaller, more efficient, and more reliable thanks to advancements in electronic components and technology.

What are the main types of inverters?

There are three main types of inverters: standalone inverters, grid-tie inverters, and hybrid inverters. Standalone inverters are used in off-grid systems, grid-tie inverters are used in grid-connected systems, and hybrid inverters can switch between both modes.

What are some common applications of inverters?

Inverters are used in a wide range of applications, including solar energy systems, uninterruptible power supplies, electric vehicles, and home appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners. They are also used in industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, and transportation.