How do I start new thread?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter ljagerman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user's first use of Physics Forums and their question about quantum math for entangled states. They are having trouble figuring out how to ask their question and ask if there is a "new thread" or "new question" tab. They also share their question about recent tests of quantum nonlocality and provide equations from a key paper. They ask for help understanding how the equations were derived. The user also mentions replicating a process in another forum.
ljagerman
My first use of Physics Forums.
I have a question not addressed so far, as far as I can tell.
It's in the area of quantum math for entangled state.

But I cannot figure out how to ask it!
Is there a "new thread" or "new question" tab anyplace?
Is there a menu item for new threads or new questions? If so, where.

In case this is the place, here is my question.
Interested in recent tests of quantum nonlocality in 3-photon GHZ entanglement.
Looking at key paper by Pan, Bouwmeester, Daniell, Weinfurter & Zeilinger in Nature, 403, 2 Feb 2000, p. 515-518.
Key equation is for entangled 3-photon GHZ state; their equation (1):
|Ψ⟩=1/√2 〖(|H⟩〗_1 |H⟩_2 |H⟩_3+|V⟩_1 |V⟩_2 |V⟩_3); no problem here.
Then the experiments introduce optical devices to rotate polarization and induce circlual polarization; equations here are (their (2) and (3):
Pair (2): |H/⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩+|V⟩) and |V/⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩+|V⟩)
Pair (3): |ʘR⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩+i|V⟩) and |ʘL⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩-i|V⟩)
This looks like simple vector trig in a unit circle.
Now they solve (1) above with (2) and (3), and they arrive at their equation (4):
|Ψ⟩=1/2 〖(|ʘR⟩〗_1 |ʘL⟩_2 |H/⟩_3+|ʘL⟩_1 |ʘR⟩_2 |H/⟩_3 +|ʘR⟩_1 |ʘR⟩_2 |V/⟩_3+|ʘL⟩_1 |ʘL⟩_2 |V/⟩_3).
My question: How did they get to (4)? What vector-algebraic (?) steps did they use?
I know a little about Dirac notation, wave functions, etc, but not enough to see how equation (4) was derived.
Please help if you can!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same process in every forum. You found how to do it in the Feedback forum. Replicate that process in another.

Got it: So now it's in 2 places, but I guess not harm. Please see in Physics, Quantum mech. area

1. How do I start a new thread on a forum?

To start a new thread on a forum, you will first need to navigate to the specific forum or discussion board where you want to post your thread. Then, look for a button or link that says "New Thread" or "Start Discussion." Click on this button and you will be taken to a new page where you can enter your thread title and content.

2. Can I start a new thread on any topic?

Most forums have specific guidelines or rules for what topics can be discussed, so it's important to check these guidelines before starting a new thread. Generally, it's best to stick to the theme or purpose of the forum to ensure your thread is relevant and will be well received by other users.

3. Do I need an account to start a new thread?

In most cases, you will need to have an account on the forum in order to start a new thread. This allows moderators to monitor and control the content being posted on the forum. If you don't have an account, you may need to register for one before being able to create a new thread.

4. How do I make my thread stand out?

To make your thread stand out, try to come up with a catchy and attention-grabbing title. You can also use formatting tools such as bold or italicized text, and include images or videos in your thread. Additionally, make sure your thread is well-written and provides valuable information or insight for other users.

5. Can I edit or delete my thread after posting?

In most cases, you should be able to edit or delete your thread after posting. Look for options or buttons on the forum page that say "Edit" or "Delete." Keep in mind that some forums may have restrictions on editing or deleting posts, so be sure to check the forum guidelines or contact a moderator if you encounter any issues.