So this happened right in front of me.

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary: There is no definitive answer, as the decision to yell for help may depend on the individual's personal circumstances and relationship to the shooter.
Saladsamurai
Cop shoots cop in front of Starbucks.

Well technically, it happened behind me since I was sitting next to the fireplace reading a book with my back turned. After the shots rang out, about 6 or 7 of us ran outside to find the seriously wounded man bleeding to death. We immediately administered first aid using my belt and some shirts as tourniquets. An employee and myself also talked him through it until the EMT's arrived. His eyes kept rolling back into his head. I though he was going to die. There was so much blood. Must have hit one of the major arteries/veins in his leg. I also discovered a bullet hole in his wrist. Everyone was so level-headed; it was amazing. Gunshots don't sound like they do in the movies. They literally sound like really loud "cap" guns.

I was just watching a zombie horror move the other night. There was a particularly gory scene that made me light-headed to the point I had to lie down. I still can't believe that I managed to help this guy, while covered in his blood, without going into shock myself. Adrenaline is an amazing thing. This is the town I grew up in. Nothing like this ever happens. You really never know what is going to happen next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jehosephat!

You're even mentioned in the article!

Without regard to their own safety, several individuals exited the Starbucks and provided medical attention to Officer Lantych immediately after he was shot until the ambulance arrived,” Beverly Police Mark Ray said. “Their actions saved Jasonʼs life and they should be commended for their courage and quick thinking.”

Way to go Salad!

It's an 'altered state', isn't it?
good for you.

Saladsamurai said:
I was just watching a zombie horror move the other night. There was a particularly gory scene that made me light-headed to the point I had to lie down. I still can't believe that I managed to help this guy, while covered in his blood, without going into shock myself. Adrenaline is an amazing thing.
Sorry you had to go through that, but great save!

Very well done salad!

Great job to you and all who helped that man live! The human spirit and willingness to help those in dire need is always amazing to me.

Interesting article, and interesting reading the article linked in the comments section...

Bless you, Salad!

Wow! Kudos for keeping your senses about you!

Now let me get this straight...you didn't know where the shooter was, right? You just went out and gave first aid, not knowing if there could be more gunfire. That's really, really amazing.

Wow! Good going! Yes, adrenaline really is amazing. How long did it take to stop shaking when it was all over and you realized what just happened and what you did? Or are you still shaking?

Next time though...consider not running toward the gunfire. :eek:

Moonbear said:
Good advice, but I'm sure the victim benefited from the assistance of the people (including you) who ran to his aid.

Haha! Yeah, actually, now that you guys mention it right now is the first time it has crossed my mind that the shooter could have still been right there. Wow. But I am sure that the victim appreciates our bad judgement. And, yes Moonbear. When it was all over (i.e. the EMT's took him away) I was so overcome with emotions that it took all I had not to break down right there. I just kept taking deep breaths and shaking my head back and forth really quickly to try to get the image out of my head. I still have to do that when I am trying to sleep. I still see him bleeding and screaming and then slipping into a state of shock.

It's so insane to see someone go from completely coherent one moment to borderline dead the next. You really can be gone in an instant. Hopefully the visions go away soon. They seem to be lessening each night that passes. Thanks for the kudos :blushing:, though they are not necessary. This whole experience has really renewed my faith in people. I hope that if I ever need help like this, I will be fortunate enough to have this type of group around me.

Wow, great job! O.O

Saladsamurai said:
Thanks for the kudos :blushing:, though they are not necessary..

Oh please! That was amazing, a bit irrational, but amazing! I'm just glad you didn't get hurt, or else I wouldn't have been saying how wonderful your act was; but thankfully, it worked out.

Moonbear said:

Should one have yelled "I'm calling the police?"

SS, I'm sorry you had to go through this. It will always be with you. But for the sake of the victim I'm glad you were there. Way to step up to the plate! As much as this will always haunt you a bit, you can always be proud of how you handled yourself when the time came for action. You helped to save a man's life. It doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks for the kind and supporting words folks. :smile: I learned a lot from all of this.

Brilliant saladsamurai.You deserve a medal.:approve:

Saladsamurai said:
Cop shoots cop in front of Starbucks.

Well technically, it happened behind me since I was sitting next to the fireplace reading a book with my back turned. After the shots rang out, about 6 or 7 of us ran outside to find the seriously wounded man bleeding to death. We immediately administered first aid using my belt and some shirts as tourniquets. An employee and myself also talked him through it until the EMT's arrived. His eyes kept rolling back into his head. I though he was going to die. There was so much blood. Must have hit one of the major arteries/veins in his leg. I also discovered a bullet hole in his wrist. Everyone was so level-headed; it was amazing. Gunshots don't sound like they do in the movies. They literally sound like really loud "cap" guns.
Well done, Ss!

How are you doing, Ss? Are things starting to return to normal?

Great job, Saladsamurai!

Oh my, I missed it on 27th. I hope the guy will recover, I hope you it will stop haunting you soon.

And if will ever want to buy a coffee in Beverly, I will go to Starbucks. While it is not perfectly safe, but at least people know what to do once something happen.

Great job. Since you're a bit far away, I'll show my respect by going for a coffee tonight at the newly opened Starbucks in my city.

Hello friends :smile:

I am doing better. Time has helped and even better is the news that the man is doing well and has even regained feeling in his leg. Thanks for your support.

~Casey

Saladsamurai said:
Hello friends :smile:

I am doing better. Time has helped and even better is the news that the man is doing well and has even regained feeling in his leg. Thanks for your support.

~Casey

:smile: Yay!

This thread makes me happy.

Scary for sure. Glad you are all OK.

:smile:

Definately take care when exercising your "hero gene".

I chased an armed would-be rapist and taunted him until he drew down on me as we went around and around a truck.

I kept taunting him but stayed covered as he ran away.

I'm not as fast as I once was so I am more careful now.

HowlerMonkey said:
Definately take care when exercising your "hero gene".

I chased an armed would-be rapist and taunted him until he drew down on me as we went around and around a truck.

I kept taunting him but stayed covered as he ran away.

I'm not as fast as I once was so I am more careful now.
I see where you got your user name then. :tongue:

Good stuff Saladsamurai!

Hold your head high! Sorry to hear it was as dramatic as it was.

I agree with Lisab, this thread makes me happy.

1. What happened right in front of you?

I witnessed a particular event or incident that occurred in my direct line of sight.

2. How did you react to what happened?

My reaction could vary depending on the situation, but I may have been surprised, shocked, scared, or even amused.

3. Did anyone else witness the event?

I cannot say for certain, but it is possible that others may have also seen what happened.

4. Can you provide more details about the event?

Yes, I can give a more detailed description of what I saw, including any specific actions, people involved, or other relevant information.

5. Is there any significance or importance to what happened?

That would depend on the event itself and the context in which it occurred. Some incidents may hold more significance than others.