Aerospace Engineer jobs for non-US citizens: what are the chances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges for non-US citizens to obtain employment in the aerospace field within the United States, due to security clearance and export control compliance requirements. The options for European students include staying in Europe and pursuing jobs with companies such as ESA, EADS, and Thales, or attempting to obtain employment in the US, possibly through obtaining a PhD or obtaining a different type of employment visa. It is mentioned that having US citizenship or permanent residency is highly beneficial in the job search process. Other suggestions include obtaining industry certifications and seeking employment in the US through other means.
Ballistic
I've been searching for this kind of discussions in the forum and I've found some interesting answers and point of views from many users.

But I still have some questions that I'd like to ask.

From my understanding, being hired as an engineer (Mech. Eng, Electr. Eng. and so on) or as a computer scientist (but this could be also true for many other scientific jobs) from a large US company isn't a big issue if you aren't US born.

But when it comes to Aerospace Engineering, the situation seems much more complex, due to the security clearances, Dept. of Defense and other security matter involved.
Therefore, almost any job posting from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, SpaceX and so on requires you to be an US citizen in order to apply.

Since from what I've read it could take more than 10 years to get the US citizenship, then what are the chances for a 25 years old European holding a M.Sc. in aerospace engineering to get a job in the US in the aerospace field?

There could be the option of being a visiting student for the M.Sc. thesis or even to get a PhD from basically any college, but then? If one's doesn't want to stay forever in the academic world, what are the chances to find a good, interesting, challenging job in an advanced project for an Aerospace company, paying/granting for you VISA?

For example, correct me if I'm wrong, I've read that if you want to do your PhD in the US as an European, you won't be able to access to some extra financial support/scholarships/funds, so you'll be in the range of 20-30k dollars per year, during the length of your PhD studies. But then? It seems to me that the most likely outcome is to remain in the academic world and work hard in order to eventually become a professor. Which could be extremely interesting, but it seems to me to be the only path possible. Am I wrong?

TL;DR: from your personal knowledge and experience, what would you recommend to an European student: to stay in Europe try to find a good job for ESA, EADS, Thales etc. or to not abandon his "American dream" and try to pursue a career in the US?

Thank you for your opinions and comments!

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting Question! I am following this thread.

Is there anybody who wants to share some information/experiences?
Please don't be shy ;)

Not all jobs in the defense industry require security clearance. However, most jobs would require US citizenship or at least permanent residence, which I believe has to do with export control compliance. If you are not a US person (US citizen or permanent residence), you will be competing for jobs with your hands tied behind your back.

chingkui said:
Not all jobs in the defense industry require security clearance. However, most jobs would require US citizenship or at least permanent residence, which I believe has to do with export control compliance. If you are not a US person (US citizen or permanent residence), you will be competing for jobs with your hands tied behind your back.

proof of us citizenship and or a green card is the first step, without it, you most likely will not get scheduled for an interview.

The main problem is competing against the hundreds of other people who have citizenship and at least 10 years of provable history in that country. They will most likely use this at the culling stage to thin candidates for interviews. So unless your father is the CEO of an aerospace company in another country, good luck. By the way, I'd like to find an aerospace position in another country too and have looked into it, but the chances are slim and the effort doesn't seem worth it to try.

I suggest looking for any job in the US first. Once there make a career move.

Try looking for other means of making yourself employable - industry certifications in related fields, teaching, etc.

Some countries (like us here in Australia) can get US employment visas far more easily. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-3_visa

1. What are the requirements for non-US citizens to work as an aerospace engineer in the US?

Non-US citizens who wish to work as an aerospace engineer in the US must obtain a work visa, such as an H-1B visa, which requires sponsorship from an employer. They must also have a degree in aerospace engineering or a related field, and may need to pass security clearance depending on the specific job and company.

2. Are there any restrictions for non-US citizens working in the aerospace engineering field?

Generally, non-US citizens face the same restrictions as US citizens when it comes to working in the aerospace engineering field. However, some jobs may require US citizenship due to security reasons, particularly those in the defense industry.

3. How competitive is the job market for non-US citizens in the aerospace engineering field?

The job market for aerospace engineers in the US is highly competitive, regardless of citizenship status. Non-US citizens may face additional competition due to the limited number of visas available, but there are still opportunities for highly skilled and qualified individuals.

4. What steps can non-US citizens take to increase their chances of getting a job in the aerospace engineering field in the US?

Non-US citizens can increase their chances of getting a job in the aerospace engineering field by obtaining a degree from a reputable university, gaining relevant work experience, and networking with professionals in the industry. They can also improve their chances by staying up to date with the latest technology and advancements in the field.

5. Are there any specific companies that are known to hire non-US citizens for aerospace engineering jobs?

Many companies in the US hire non-US citizens for aerospace engineering jobs, including large corporations like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman. However, it is important for non-US citizens to research and target companies that are open to hiring international workers and have a history of sponsoring work visas for their employees.