Exploring the Properties of Clopen Subsets of ℝ: An Intuitive Explanation

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary, the only subset of ℝ with the absolute value metric that are both open and closed are ℝ and ∅.
SMA_01
Prove that the only subset of ℝ with the absolute value metric that are both open and closed are ℝ and ∅.

I know I'm supposed to prove by contradiction, but I'm having trouble:

Suppose there exists a clopen subset A of ℝ, where A≠ℝ, A≠∅. Let [x,y] be a closed interval in ℝ, where x is in A and y is in A' (complement of A). Now, let b=sup{z[itex]\in[/itex][x,y]|z[itex]\in[/itex]A}. Then I know b[itex]\in[/itex]A or b[itex]\in[/itex]A'.

I know that b is an upper bound for A implies b is a lower bound for A'. I'm just not sure how to arrive at a contradiction. I'm still not grasping the intuition behind it, can anyone explain intuitively what this means?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:
I know that b is an upper bound for A implies b is a lower bound for A'.

That's not true is it? Take A=[a,b], then b is an upper bound of A. But [itex]A^\prime=(-\infty,a)\cup (b,+\infty)[/itex] and b is certainly not a lower bound of this.

Anyway, by definition you know that b is the supremum of [itex][x,y]\cap A[/itex]. But the set [itex][x,y]\cap A[/itex] is closed (what is your definition of closed anyway?), what does that tel you about b?

Oh okay, I see my mistake.
Closed means a set contains its limit points. So if that intersection is closed, then b is in A?

SMA_01 said:
Oh okay, I see my mistake.
Closed means a set contains its limit points. So if that intersection is closed, then b is in A?

OK, so b is an element of A. Can you make a similar argument to conclude that b is an element of A'?

Okay, b is an element of A because it is the intersection and A is closed. Why would it necessarily have to be in A'?

Unless, A' is clopen too right? So A' will have to contain all of its limit points as well, and b is a boundary point for A'...? Am I thinking about this correctly?

SMA_01 said:
Unless, A' is clopen too right? So A' will have to contain all of its limit points as well, and b is a boundary point for A'...? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Yes. Why is A' clopen too? (you just need that A' is closed by the way)

A' is clopen because A is both opened and closed. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a clopen subset of the reals?

A clopen subset of the reals is a subset of the real numbers that is both closed and open. This means that the subset contains all of its limit points and does not have any limit points outside of the subset. In other words, a clopen subset is both closed and open at the same time.

2. How is a clopen subset different from a closed or open subset?

A closed subset of the reals contains all of its limit points, but it may also have limit points outside of the subset. An open subset, on the other hand, does not contain all of its limit points and may have limit points outside of the subset. A clopen subset, as mentioned earlier, is both closed and open at the same time and does not have any limit points outside of the subset.

3. What are some examples of clopen subsets of the reals?

One example of a clopen subset of the reals is the empty set, which is both closed and open. Another example is the set of all irrational numbers, which is closed because it contains all of its limit points (the irrational numbers themselves) and open because it does not contain any limit points outside of the subset.

4. How do clopen subsets relate to connectedness?

Clopen subsets play a role in connectedness because they are considered to be both connected and disconnected. This means that a clopen subset cannot be divided into two non-empty open sets, which is the definition of connectedness. However, a clopen subset is also not considered to be a single point, which is the definition of disconnectedness.

5. Can a clopen subset of the reals be uncountable?

Yes, a clopen subset of the reals can be uncountable. For example, the set of all irrational numbers is uncountable, yet it is also a clopen subset of the reals. This shows that the cardinality of a clopen subset is not limited to being countable or finite.