Deriving equation for minimum height in projectile motion with two give me's

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving an equation for the minimum height in projectile motion with two given variables, the launch angle and final displacement in the x-direction. The equations for Δy and Δx are given and corrected, and the need to evaluate them at specific points in the trajectory is emphasized.
Ceeerson
deriving equation for minimum height in projectile motion with two give me's :)

Homework Statement

A ball is launched at a 45 degree angle and lands 152.4 m away. What is the maximum height the ball will reach during its flight. I Know the answer, what I need is to find a way to derive an equation [itex]Δy = {\frac{Δxtan(ϴ)}{4}}[/itex] I have played around for hours working backwards and forwards with the equations below. Its miserable.

Homework Equations

[itex]Δy = {\frac{gt}{2tan(ϴ)}}[/itex]
All kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Δy = {\frac{gt}{2tan(x)}}[/itex] was the best i got - with the help of the internet. Though with it i have no idea how to solve for t. Help:(

Physics news on Phys.org

What does the maximum height depend on?

What does the horizontal displacement depend on?

sorry the equation in the bottom is tangent of thetaθ, I'm not sure what you are asking, they are both dependent on time, assuming gravity is constant, apparently one is able to derive an equation and calculate max height using only the three kinematic equations.but the only known variables are angle of elevation and Δx, which is the final displacement from the origin.

Ceeerson said:
what I need is to find a way to derive an equation [itex]Δy = {\frac{Δxtan(ϴ)}{4}}[/itex]
Where θ is the launch angle and Δy and Δx stand for ...?

oh, Δy indicates the maximum height achieved by the ball, which is achieved at half the total time since the balls starting y position is negligible, Δx indicates the total distance covered in the x position of the coordinate system, so making the ball's starting position the origin, the coordinates for the ball at max height are ((Δx/2),Δy) and the coordinates for the ball after it lands are (Δx,0)

and yes, θ is launch angle above the horizontal

Ok, so assume some launch speed u and write the equations for x and y as functions of time. Assuming level ground, what will x be when it lands?

Δx = utcos(θ), Δy = ut/2sin(θ) - 1/2g(t/2)^2 Δx = 152.4m

Last edited:

and (usinθ)/2g = Δy

Ceeerson said:
Δx = utcos(θ), Δy = ut/2sin(θ) - 1/2gt^2 Δx = 152.4m
I meant the generic equations that apply throughout the trajectory, but never mind. In the above, t is the total flight time, right? If so, the second term in the expression for Δy is wrong.
Write another equation for the height at time t.

ok so I am going to start this problem over. ok so

in the y direction, Δy = (vsinθ)t - (1/2)gt^2; Vf = Vsinθ - gt; vf^2 = v^2sinθ^2 - 2gΔy

in x direction, Δx = Vcosθt

so I am guessing i rearrange for t using the x equation, so t = Δx/v(cosθ)

then i plug it into the first equation? let's see Δy = vsinθ(Δx/v(cosθ)) - (1/2)g(Δx^2/v^2(cos^2θ))

if i simplify it, Δy = (Δx)tanθ - (1/2)gΔx^2/cos^2θ

am i in the right direction ?

Ceeerson said:
in the y direction, Δy = (vsinθ)t - (1/2)gt^2; Vf = Vsinθ - gt; vf^2 = v^2sinθ^2 - 2gΔy
in x direction, Δx = Vcosθt
so I am guessing i rearrange for t using the x equation, so t = Δx/v(cosθ)

then i plug it into the first equation? let's see Δy = vsinθ(Δx/v(cosθ)) - (1/2)g(Δx^2/v^2(cos^2θ))

if i simplify it, Δy = (Δx)tanθ - (1/2)gΔx^2/cos^2θ
Those equations are all correct, but you need to think about the specific points in the trajectory at which to evaluate them. For which instants do you have data?

i just have the final displacement in the x direction, i was just guessing that since the launch starts and ends on the ground that half the time wouldd be at max height, neglecting air reistance

Ceeerson said:
i just have the final displacement in the x direction, i was just guessing that since the launch starts and ends on the ground that half the time wouldd be at max height, neglecting air reistance
No, you have more than that. What is the final y displacement? What is the x displacement when at max y displacement?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a form of motion in which an object is thrown or projected into the air at an angle and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the two given values needed to derive the equation for minimum height in projectile motion?

The two given values needed are the initial velocity and the angle of projection.

3. How is the minimum height in projectile motion calculated?

The minimum height in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the minimum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What does the minimum height in projectile motion represent?

The minimum height in projectile motion represents the lowest point reached by the object during its flight. This point is also known as the vertex of the parabolic path.

5. How is the equation for minimum height in projectile motion derived?

The equation for minimum height in projectile motion is derived using principles of kinematics and trigonometry, along with the assumption of no air resistance. It is based on the conservation of energy and the equation for vertical displacement of an object in motion.