Need solution to view through glass at near zero angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of designing a device with cameras that need to see through a sheet of glass at a very low angle. The main problem is that most light is reflected at this angle, making it difficult to see. The proposed solution is to use multiple layers with appropriate refractive index on top of the material, or an anti-reflection coating.
lemd
Hi,

I am designing a device which has cameras need to see through a sheet of glass at angle very low, near zero. And at that angle most of light is reflected so it is very hard to see.

- The surface of the transparent material must be flat and smooth
- The camera must see outside object at angle smaller than 5 degree
- Optical devices could be arranged below the transparent surface, e.g mirror, prism, but the main problem is that most light is reflected and doesn't go inside

I wonder is there any solution for this? I.e some kind of coating to let light go through at low angle? Any help would be appreciate

Please refer to image below:

glass.png

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiple layers with appropriate refractive index (and thickness, but that makes the thing sensitive to the angle) on top of your material can increase the fraction of light going through.

lemd said:
Hi,

I am designing a device which has cameras need to see through a sheet of glass at angle very low, near zero. And at that angle most of light is reflected so it is very hard to see.

- The surface of the transparent material must be flat and smooth
- The camera must see outside object at angle smaller than 5 degree
- Optical devices could be arranged below the transparent surface, e.g mirror, prism, but the main problem is that most light is reflected and doesn't go inside

I wonder is there any solution for this? I.e some kind of coating to let light go through at low angle? Any help would be appreciate

Please refer to image below:

glass.png

Regards

You want an anti-reflection coating - these work as the previous poster described.

Something like this:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/...nti-reflection-ar-coated-plastic-windows/3365

1. How can I view through glass at a near zero angle?

In order to view through glass at a near zero angle, you will need to use a technique called Total Internal Reflection (TIR). This involves directing light at a high angle of incidence onto the glass surface, causing it to reflect internally and allowing you to see through the glass.

2. What type of glass is best for viewing at a near zero angle?

The best type of glass for viewing at a near zero angle is a material with a high refractive index, such as diamond or sapphire. These materials are able to achieve a greater angle of TIR, resulting in a clearer and more precise image.

3. Can I use any light source for viewing through glass at a near zero angle?

Yes, you can use any light source for viewing through glass at a near zero angle. However, it is important to consider the angle of incidence of the light and adjust it accordingly in order to achieve TIR.

4. Is there a limit to how close to zero degrees I can view through glass?

There is no specific limit to how close to zero degrees you can view through glass using TIR. However, the closer you get to zero degrees, the more difficult it may be to achieve TIR and maintain a clear image.

5. Are there any other methods for viewing through glass at a near zero angle?

Yes, there are other methods for viewing through glass at a near zero angle, such as using a polarizing filter or a beam splitter. However, these methods may have limitations and TIR is often the most effective and widely used technique.