How exactly do generators work (Please explain the Faraday's law)

by UsualMan
Tags: faraday, generator, induction, magnet
UsualMan
Apr14-13, 07:16 PM
P: 3
Hi, everybody!

I have done tons of research through the Internet, but still can't understand the Faraday's law and how a generator works.

I understand, that inside coils, placed into a rotating magnet, current is generated. But why? What exactly happens to electrons, so they form current? As I read, a static magnetic field influences on electrons only in such way that it changes their direction, but it isn't enough to make current. Why that is a rotating magnetic field, that creates current? How it impacts electrons in comparison to a constant magnetic field?

Will it be right, if I say, that in a rotating magnetic field electrons change their directions asymmetrically - so some electrons approach to other and repel them, thus accelerating their flow?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
russ_watters
Apr14-13, 07:24 PM
Mentor
P: 21,998
Welcome to PF!

It really is no more complicated than that because the electrons are charged, moving a magnet past them in a wire pushes them through the wire.
UsualMan
Apr14-13, 07:37 PM
P: 3
Thanks!

Register to reply