How to find the concentration of CO2 in 1M NAOH solution?

by Pollyannaism
Tags: concentration, naoh, solution
Pollyannaism
Aug21-13, 04:47 AM
P: 2
I done the absorption experiment i.e absorption of CO2 from air using 1M NaOH .Can anyone please tell how to analyse the Liquid sample after absorption.

I found the concentration of NaOH after and before the experiment,difference in Concentration gives the concentration of CO2.is it the reight approach.
Any suggestion is appreciated..
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Recycling industrial waste water: Scientists discover a new method of producing hydrogen
Making radiation-proof materials for electronics, power plants
A greener source of polyester?cork trees
Borek
Aug21-13, 05:07 AM
Admin
P: 22,658
Quote Quote by Pollyannaism View Post
I found the concentration of NaOH after
How?

This is not a wrong approach, it is just a tricky problem. Compare Warder titration.
Pollyannaism
Aug21-13, 11:03 AM
P: 2
Thank you for replying..

I directly titrate the NaOH solution at inlet and also liquid solution from the column( outlet solution )against the HCl to find the concentration.My doubt is that when I tirate NaOH solution of the outlet ( contains Na2CO3 + unreacted NaOH) against HCl ,Na2cO3 reacts with Hcl to form NaOH again and CO2 will bubble out.So after doing the titration I am getting almost the same concentration(no significant difference)in both the solution.

Borek
Aug21-13, 11:29 AM
Admin
P: 22,658

How to find the concentration of CO2 in 1M NAOH solution?

Have you read the linked page? It is likely a matter of choosing correct indicator.

Register to reply