'S' in s domain

by pforpashya
Tags: domain
pforpashya
Sep1-13, 09:17 AM
P: 11
Can somebody tell me exactly what is 'S' in frequency domain?

I know that s=σ+jw

where σ is neper frequency and jw is complex frequency but i want the precise information on s

you can suggest me a book in which it is clearly explained.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
samieee
Sep1-13, 11:28 AM
P: 71
Reading the wiki page may give you some information, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_plane
meBigGuy
Sep1-13, 07:14 PM
P: 976
This is the way I think of it, but I may be completely wrong. Think of s as having a magnitude and phase (when expressed exponentially). If you express that rectangularly it can be seen as the sum of two orthogonal components. Call them what you will. One is the cosine component and the other is the sine component. I view complex numbers this way since the rectangular components are often difficult to visualize. Writing a polynomial with s and t allows you to express sine and cosine components that vary in time. Or, said another way, frequency and phase varying in time. If I said this incorrectly, we will soon find out :)

Register to reply