Alcubierre Drive antimatter requirements

In summary, some sources claim that the use of antimatter is possible for fueling a warp drive, while others argue that exotic matter and positive energy are necessary for it to function. However, it is currently an academic exercise as we do not have enough antimatter available. Additionally, the claim that antimatter behaves the same as matter may not be accurate, as stated by one of the sources provided. Overall, the feasibility and sustainability of using antimatter as warp fuel is still a topic of discussion and research.
Dummienoob
Some sources say, that alcubierre warp drive would have no need for exotic matter but to create a warp bubble around a shuttle-sized spaceship would require only 100-500 kg of antimatter. Still some believe it would not function without exotic matter and some positive energy. The question is: Is it possible to use antimatter for warp fuel and for how long? It is quite pointless if you could only warp the space for a second.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since we don't have 100-500 kg of antimatter in stock, the exercise seems to be academic at this point.

Yep, we only have a few micrograms on earth. I suppose, that no one here will solve this question, since warp drive is only hypothetical. I am still thinking for how long you can maintain the bubble?

Dummienoob said:
Some sources say

Please cite them. Remember, we only discuss sources that are part of the mainstream literature.

Since antimatter gravitates the same was as matter, I doubt very much that these sources are correct.

http://banoosh.com/blog/2012/09/23/nasa-working-on-faster-than-light-space-travel-says-warp-drives-are-plausible/
This is one of the sites. I couldn't find the other ones but I can guarantee you that there are more

Dummienoob said:
http://banoosh.com/blog/2012/09/23/nasa-working-on-faster-than-light-space-travel-says-warp-drives-are-plausible/
This is one of the sites. I couldn't find the other ones but I can guarantee you that there are more

This is not an acceptable source.

Did you read the source for your source?

1. What is an Alcubierre Drive and how does it work?

An Alcubierre Drive is a hypothetical concept for a faster-than-light propulsion system. It uses the principles of general relativity to create a warp bubble around a spacecraft, allowing it to travel through space at speeds faster than the speed of light.

2. How does antimatter play a role in the function of the Alcubierre Drive?

Antimatter is required for the Alcubierre Drive to function because it is used to create the negative energy density needed to warp space-time. The drive would require large amounts of antimatter to generate the necessary negative energy, making it currently impractical for use.

3. What are the specific antimatter requirements for the Alcubierre Drive?

The exact amount of antimatter needed for the Alcubierre Drive is not known as it is a theoretical concept. However, calculations suggest that the amount of antimatter needed would be on the order of millions of tons, making it currently impossible to produce and store.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with using antimatter for the Alcubierre Drive?

There are potential risks with using antimatter for the Alcubierre Drive, as it is a highly volatile substance. If not properly contained and controlled, it could lead to catastrophic explosions. Additionally, the production and storage of antimatter would require advanced technology and safety measures.

5. Is there any ongoing research or development for the Alcubierre Drive and its antimatter requirements?

There is ongoing research and development into the concept of the Alcubierre Drive, but no practical application has been achieved yet. Scientists are also exploring alternative methods for achieving the necessary negative energy density without relying on large amounts of antimatter.