Compound Angles Proof: Proven or Unproven?

In summary, the conversation discusses a statement made in a textbook that surprises the individuals involved. The statement suggests that the graph of a function, in this case sin(kθ), has a period of 2π/k and a frequency k times that of sinθ. While the statement seems obvious, it has not been generally proven. The conversation also touches on the concept of proof by authority in textbooks.
BOAS
Hello,

simple question.

My textbook (Bostock and Chandler - Pure Mathematics 1) says something that really surprises me.

When the same investigation is carried out on [itex]f(\theta)[/itex] [itex]\equiv[/itex] [itex] sin3\theta [/itex] we find that the function is cyclic with a period of [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] so that [itex]3[/itex] complete cycles occur between [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]2\pi[/itex]. It seems likely (Although it has not been generally proved) that the graph of the function [itex]f(\theta)[/itex] [itex]\equiv[/itex] [itex] sink\theta [/itex] is a sine wave with a period of [itex]\frac{2\pi}{k}[/itex] and a frequency [itex]k[/itex] times that of [itex]f(\theta)[/itex] [itex]\equiv[/itex] [itex] sin\theta [/itex]

The bolded part is what shocked me, it seems like such a trivial statement and intuitively true. My book was first published in 1978, so perhaps it is out of date.

It goes on to say;

These properties are, in fact, valid for all values of k

Which seems contradictory... So, has or has not this idea been proven true?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is trivially obvious, why are you puzzled? What is contradictory? I presume the statement is for k a positive integer.

mathman said:
It is trivially obvious, why are you puzzled? What is contradictory? I presume the statement is for k a positive integer.

I mean that it seems trivial, so I was surprised that it had not been proven true. By contradictory, I mean, the book says the idea is not generally proven but goes on to say that it is true for all values of k.

It is not explicitly stated in my textbook what is meant by k, but all related questions deal with positive numbers, fractions and integers.

kθ = 2π, therefore θ =2π/k. As long as k is an integer, what else is needed?

Perhaps you're taking the context of the bolded statement to be total human mathematical development, rather than the mathematical development up to that point in the text?

I agree with Integrand. It sounds like the textbook authors want to make it clear that they are not providing a proof. They are distinguishing a conjecture making moment. If the text takes an investigation approach, then it probably encourages readers to do similar activities to develop conjectures and then better proofs.

The part that you say is contradictory is what I would call Proof by Authority. These are moments in textbooks where the author just asks the reader to accept the math without other justifications. This is often necessary because a proof requires advanced mathematics or may take too long. There's a lot of this in algebra texts: fractional exponents, calculating determinants, formulae of SA and volume of spheres. Typically the reader is just given these rules.

1. What is a compound angle proof?

A compound angle proof is a mathematical proof that involves using two or more angles in a geometric figure to prove a given statement or theorem.

2. How is a compound angle proof different from a regular angle proof?

A regular angle proof typically involves only one angle, while a compound angle proof involves multiple angles and their relationships with each other.

3. Is there a specific method for proving compound angles?

There is no specific method for proving compound angles, as it depends on the given statement or theorem. However, common strategies include using trigonometric identities, theorems such as the Pythagorean theorem, and properties of parallel and perpendicular lines.

4. Can all compound angles be proved?

Yes, all compound angles can be proved using mathematical principles and strategies. However, some proofs may be more complex and require advanced techniques.

5. Are compound angle proofs considered valid and reliable?

Yes, compound angle proofs are considered valid and reliable as long as they follow logical and mathematical reasoning. However, like any mathematical proof, they may be subject to review and potential revisions.