Is this diagram just an elaborate time line or is there more to it?

• Thread starter doc1737
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, The person is asking if a diagram posted by someone they know makes sense. They believe the person may have drawn it after smoking and is trying to appear intelligent. However, the person still wants to know if it makes sense and someone else comments that it may involve some concepts from physics such as Block Universe. The conversation then turns to mocking the original drawing and the person who posted it.
doc1737
pic on fbook.jpg

hi i am not a physicist, i am not even sure if this is physics related, and sorry if i haven't posted this in correct place!
just out of curiosity was wondering if this makes sense?
this guy i know posted this diagram, just wondering if anyone could tell me if they know what it is if it even makes sense.

thanks

Doc

Physics news on Phys.org
doc1737 said:
this guy i know posted this diagram,
Why don't you ask this guy you know to explain what it is?

hi , because he is trying to be a smart arse about it , asking , "does anyone understand what they see here", i don't even know if it makes sense and thought he maybe had a bit too much to smoke and done a wee doodle on a bit of paper and is trying to act all super intelligent.

doc1737 said:
hi , because he is trying to be a smart arse about it , asking , "does anyone understand what they see here", i don't even know if it makes sense and thought he maybe had a bit too much to smoke and done a wee doodle on a bit of paper and is trying to act all super intelligent.

And you care about all this, why ?

i just wanted to find out if the diagram made any sense

doc1737 said:
i just wanted to find out if the diagram made any sense

Well, it undoubtedly makes sense to HIM, but it certainly is not any kind of standard world line diagram, although I suspect that's what he thinks he's drawing.

It looks like it involves some Block Universe kinds of features, but there are some other aspects of the figure that I'm not familiar with. If you are interested in Block Universe (or Block Time), look it up on Google.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Protip:
1.Draw a tetrahedron.
2.Name some(but not all!) sides as past/present/future as you see fit.
3.Look up some esoteric words re: the general relativity, string theory, or quantum physics on wikipedia.
4.Copy some wiggles, lines and Important Words from the original picture, while adding those found on the wiki - with an obligatory exclamation mark.
6.Sign it: "Here's how it really works" and make some smug remarks re the other guy's poor understanding of science.
7.Refuse to explain anything until he explains his drawing.
8.Enjoy your sleep of the just.

Look to me like he found an overly complicated way to draw a time line. That's all it is, it just has a bunch of extra drawing and mumbo-jumbo that he thinks makes him look smart but actually makes it look ridiculous.

1. What is the purpose of explaining something?

The purpose of explaining something is to provide a clear and concise understanding of a concept or idea to someone who may not be familiar with it. This can help to increase knowledge and understanding, and can also be used to persuade or inform others.

2. How do you effectively explain something?

To effectively explain something, it is important to understand the audience and their level of knowledge on the topic. It is also important to use clear and simple language, provide examples or analogies, and use visuals if possible. It is also helpful to ask for feedback or questions to ensure understanding.

3. Why is it important to be able to explain complex ideas?

Being able to explain complex ideas is important because it allows for better communication and understanding between individuals. It also helps to break down complex concepts into simpler terms, making it easier for others to grasp and apply the information.

4. How can I improve my ability to explain things?

To improve your ability to explain things, you can practice using different methods such as writing, speaking, or using visuals. You can also seek feedback from others and ask for tips or techniques they use to effectively explain things. Additionally, staying well-informed on various topics can help improve your ability to explain them.

5. Is it important for scientists to be able to explain their research?

Yes, it is important for scientists to be able to explain their research to a wide range of audiences, including other scientists, policymakers, and the general public. This helps to increase understanding and support for scientific research, and can also lead to potential collaborations and advancements in the field.