Explosion force is dependent on the Amount and the said Material

In summary: Yes....seperately, as in Explosion2? No....at the same time, but in a smaller volume, as in Explosion3? No....at the same time, and spread over the whole volume, as in Explosion1? Yes.In summary, the force created by an explosive material when set off is dependent on the amount and type of material used. When comparing the force of a single larger block to multiple smaller blocks set off together, the force of the larger block will be stronger. However, if the smaller blocks are set off individually, the force will be equal to that of the larger block. Additionally, combining a smaller block with a larger one will not
DaneS
As I understand it; when an explosive material is set off, the force is dependent on the Amount and the said Material.

As an example,
I have 2cm3 of dynamite

I set it off and once the appropriate "oo's and ahh's" are said I set up eight separate 1cm3 blocks of dynamite and set them up stacked as close as possible together and to explode at the same time.

Would the force be the same as the before mentioned 2cm3 block or would it be just eight separate outputs of force of the eight individual 1cm3 blocks set off together?

Obviously if I set off the eight 1cm3 blocks individually it would just be the force of 1block, eight times, but does sticking them together ie, 2 blocks (2x1cm3) create the singular output force of 2 or just two separate singular force outputs of 1?

Okay, if I confused you then hopefully you can understand my confusion.. (?)

I'll try break it down:

Explosion1 = One 2cm3 block
The singular force of Explosion1 has an output of 8

Explosion2 = Eight 1cm3 blocks together
Question 1 Does it equal a singular force of 8 or does it equal eight separate outputs of 2 alongside each other?

Explosion3 = One 2cm3 block AND One 1cm3 block on top
Question 2 Does it equal a singular output force of 9 OR two separate outputs of 8 and 1 respectively?

I hope SOMEONE who understands this can help me, I've been stuck on this during the holidays and my limited yr10 level physics doesn't help me, hopefully in this new year I might understand more.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaneS said:
As I understand it; when an explosive material is set off, the force is dependent on the Amount and the said Material.

As an example,
I have 2cm2 of dynamite

I set it off and once the appropriate "oo's and ahh's" are said I set up four separate 1cm2 blocks of dynamite and set them up stacked as close as possible together and to explode at the same time.
Not "cm2"- you mean "cm3".

Would the force be the same as the before mentioned 2cm2 block or would it be just four separate "lots" of force of the four individual 1cm2 blocks set off together?
What "force" are you talking about. And what would distinguish four separate "lots" of "force" form one?

Obviously if I set off the four 1cm2 blocks individually it would just be the force of 1block, four times, but does sticking them together ie, 2 blocks (2x1cm2) create double the output force or just two lots of it?
Again, what force and how is "double the output force" different from "two lots of it"?

Okay, if I confused you then hopefully you can understand my confusion.. (?)

I'll try break it down:

Explosion1 = One 2cm2 block
The singular force of Explosion1 has an output of 8

Explosion2 = Four 1cm2 blocks together
Question 1 Does it equal a singular force of 8 or does it equal four separate outputs of 2 alongside each other?

Explosion3 = One 2cm2 block AND One 1cm2 block on top
Question 2 Does it equal a singular output force of 10 OR two separate outputs of 8 and 2 respectively?

I hope SOMEONE who understands this can help me, I've been stuck on this during the holidays and my limited yr10 level physics doesn't help me, hopefully in this new year I might understand more.

Thank you for reading.

Think of it like putting rocks on a waterbed. if the rocks are spread out, there will be many small weights over a large area, and the top of the waterbed will still be relatively flat. However, if there are many rocks in a small area, they will weigh down and cause the water bed to be shaped like a funnel.

The depth of the surface of the waterbed is analogous to your force. i.e. the higher the density of explosives in a region, the more force immediately surrounding it when exploded.

I would imagine the force due to an explosive (at some fixed distance/geometry) varies with the density of explosives exponentially... so summing the forces due to small amounts of explosives probably won't equal that due to a larger amount. But I'm just speculating.

Last edited:
Corrected original post, I got lost when I posted it.

Last edited:
What "force" are you talking about. And what would distinguish four separate "lots" of "force" form one?

Again, what force and how is "double the output force" different from "two lots of it"?

I mean the pressure created by the explosion, and when I say the "singular output force" I mean is it all added up? or is it just two separate pressure waves?

It would be nice if you wouldn't try pick apart every little mistake in my question, cause if I knew what I was talking about, then I wouldn't be asking it in the first place!

What is sounds like your asking is: Can you reach the same physical state through multiple lower amplitude shocks as would be reached through a single higher amplitude shock?

Likes 1 person
nbo10 said:
What is sounds like your asking is: Can you reach the same physical state through multiple lower amplitude shocks as would be reached through a single higher amplitude shock?

Well, I guess so, that's why I'm asking cause I have no idea! Thank you for replying and somehow simplifying my complicated question!

When you say "2cm3", do you mean 2 cubic centimeters, or a cube that is 2 centimeters on a side? Because that changes the answer...

If you mean the latter, then it would produce a shock very similar to the shock produced by 8 separate 1cm3 blocks placed close together. If you mean the former, the 8 smaller blocks would produce a significantly stronger shock, on account of the fact that there is significantly more explosive present.

Sounds to me like the question is -

Assuming a fixed total volume of explosives,
Is the sum of "forces" due to fractions of the volume (ignited seperately) equal to the "force" observed when igniting the whole volume at once.

where "force" is somewhat ambiguous.

If we're talking about pressure waves, let's say explosion 1 (E1) creates a maximum pressure P1, and explosion 2 (E2) creates a maximum pressure P2.

supposing a 3rd explosion (E3), which has the sum of the volumes of explosives in E1 and E2,

I would not assume that P3=P1+P2

Superposition does not hold for extreme pressures / shock waves.

1. How does the amount of material affect explosion force?

The amount of material directly affects explosion force. The more material present in an explosion, the greater the force of the explosion will be. This is because there are more particles that can interact and release energy in the form of heat and pressure.

2. Is the type of material important in determining explosion force?

Yes, the type of material is a crucial factor in explosion force. Different materials have different chemical compositions and properties, which can greatly impact the amount of energy released during an explosion. For example, highly reactive materials such as nitroglycerin will produce a more powerful explosion compared to less reactive materials like sand.

3. Can the same amount of different materials produce different explosion forces?

Yes, even if the amount of two materials is the same, their explosion forces can vary greatly. This is because each material has unique properties and reactions that can affect the amount of energy released during an explosion. Factors such as density, chemical composition, and stability all play a role in determining explosion force.

4. How does the concentration of material affect explosion force?

The concentration of material can greatly impact explosion force. When a material is highly concentrated, there are more particles present in a given space, resulting in a more powerful explosion. In contrast, a less concentrated material will produce a weaker explosion as there are fewer particles available to interact and release energy.

5. Can explosion force be controlled by adjusting the amount and material used?

Yes, explosion force can be controlled by adjusting the amount and material used. By carefully selecting and controlling the amount and type of material present in an explosion, scientists and engineers can manipulate the force and impact of the explosion. This is crucial in industries such as mining and demolition, where explosion force needs to be carefully regulated for safety and efficiency.