Problem with Wick's theorem at first order

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Wick's theorem in the S-matrix expansion of a theory with an interaction Hamiltonian. The first term of this expansion, which involves time ordering operators, raises questions about the validity of assuming the same spacetime points for the field operators. However, it is possible to evaluate this term in free field theory by subtracting the divergence part, but in an interacting field case, the short distance information is absorbed into a constant. This expansion is known as Operator product expansion and in physically possible processes, the first term vanishes between the initial and final states.
GQuinta
Hey there, first post here!

I've been struggling with a detail in Second Quantization which I really need to clear out of my head. If I expand the S-matrix of a theory with an interaction Hamiltonian [itex] H_I(x) [/itex] then I have

[itex] S - 1= \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} d^4 x H_I(x) + \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} d^4 x d^4 y T[ H_I(x) H_I(y) ] + ... [/itex]

where the T operator is unnecessary in the first term. Now, if I choose a [itex] \overline{\psi}(x)\psi(x) [/itex] theory for example, the first term gives some contributions which I can calculate most easily by doing the expansion [itex] \psi(x) = \psi^+(x) + \psi^-(x) [/itex], which is the essence of Wick's theorem. I know the contributions will be trivial, but the point is Wick's theorem is not defined for the same spacetime points, so I can't understand why everywhere I look people assume implicitly that

[itex] \overline{\psi}(x)\psi(x) = T[ \overline{\psi}(x)\psi(x) ] [/itex]

in the first term of [itex] S-1[/itex] if the time ordering operators aren't even the same, since this one has a minus sign in its definition. As far as I can see, what everyone says is that since the T operator in the first term can be there, then when substituting [itex] H_I(x) [/itex] we simply retain the operator and use Wick's theorem like the spacetime points were different and impose x=y at the end, but this doesn't make any sense since the operators T are different.

Sorry for the long text... Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,the answer is quite subtle.You cannot take the product of field evaluated at same space time point,it leads to very short distance ultraviolet problem.It is however possible to evaluate it in free field theory case,by defining the time ordered product in a special way taking out the divergence part(subtracting it).It is not possible to do it in interacting field case,in which you have to absorb this short distance information into some constant which multiply with the finite(ultraviolet finite) part.You actually have an expansion of this sort called Operator product expansion.However if you are bothered with the first term here,then good news is that for a physically possible process where it arises for example in QED,it vanishes between the initial and final possible states.

1. What is Wick's theorem at first order?

Wick's theorem at first order is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of correlation functions. It allows for the expansion of correlation functions in terms of creation and annihilation operators, making complex calculations more manageable.

2. What is the significance of the problem with Wick's theorem at first order?

The problem with Wick's theorem at first order arises when dealing with correlation functions that involve an odd number of operators. In these cases, the theorem fails to produce the correct result and alternative methods must be used to calculate the correlation function accurately.

3. How can the problem with Wick's theorem at first order be addressed?

One way to address the problem is by using the time-ordered product of operators instead of the normal product. This accounts for the fact that operators at different times may not commute, and can lead to the correct result for correlation functions involving an odd number of operators.

4. Are there any other limitations or issues with Wick's theorem at first order?

Yes, in addition to the problem with odd-numbered operators, Wick's theorem at first order also does not apply to correlation functions involving time-ordered products of operators. In these cases, higher-order terms must be considered in the expansion of the correlation function.

5. How is Wick's theorem at first order related to other mathematical concepts in physics?

Wick's theorem at first order is closely related to the concept of perturbation theory, which is used to calculate physical quantities in terms of small deviations from a known solution. It is also related to the concept of Feynman diagrams, which are visual representations of mathematical terms used in quantum field theory calculations.