How did they do this simplification?

• Thread starter benj1
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble understanding a worked example and is looking for help. They try to simplify the following equation but are having trouble doing so. The first expression is equal to 1.5k^0.7-(-0.3) / 0.7L^0.3-(-0.7), where the bold part is one they are having trouble with. The second expression is equal to 1.5K / 0.7L, which is the same as the first expression.
benj1
Hi everyone

having a bit of trouble going through a worked example, specifically in a section where they simplify the following

1.5L^-.7K^0.7 / 0.7L^0.3K^-0.3 = 1

therefore

1.5k^0.7-(-0.3) / 0.7L^0.3-(-0.7) = 1

part in bold is one I am having trouble with.

Any help appreciated

tried using LATEX but didn't work out at all :\
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean to simplify:
[tex]\frac{1.5 L ^ {-0.7} K ^ {0.6}}{0.7 L ^ {0.3} K ^ {-0.3}}[/tex]?
So, do you know that:
[tex]\frac{\alpha ^ \beta}{\alpha ^ \gamma} = \alpha ^ {\beta - \gamma}[/tex]?
And:
[tex]\alpha ^ {- \beta} = \alpha ^ {0 - \beta} = \frac{a ^ 0}{a ^ \beta} = \frac{1}{\alpha ^ \beta}[/tex]
So applying that to the expression gives:
[tex]\frac{1.5}{0.7} \frac{L ^ {-0.7}}{L ^ {0.3}} \frac{K ^ {0.6}}{K ^ {-0.3}} = \frac{1.5}{0.7} L ^ {-0.7 - 0.3} K ^ {0.6 - (-0.3)} = \frac{1.5}{0.7} \frac{K ^ {0.9}}{L ^ {1.0}}[/tex].
Do you get it now?

Last edited:
Looks like they simply grouped similar powers in the numerator and denominator. When you move an exponent to the denominator you subtract that exponents power from the power of the same base that already exists in the denominator. It will be easier to see if you break up the division into something like [tex]\frac{1.5L^{-0.7}}{0.7L^{0.3}}\times\frac{K^{0.7}}{K^{-0.3}}[/tex].

thanks heaps for the responses viet and vsage.. much appreciated

viet: the top part you have k^0.6 - it should be k^0.7

and then the indices should cancel each other out

leaving you with

1.5K / 0.7L

Im completely lost with that tex stuff

Last edited:
This page contains 3 pdf pages that can help you understand and use LaTeX, it's in the General Physics board.
Just remember that you do not need '\' for numbers, or words, it's just used for functions.
Click on every LaTex image to see its code. For example, click on this one:
[tex]\frac{1.5 K}{0.7 L}[/tex]

thanks again..
heres another problem

240=12L^0.5(L/2)^0.5

240=12/sqrt of 2 * L

any help.. again would be appreciated

Last edited:
benj1 said:
thanks again..
heres another problem
[tex]
240=12L^0.5\frac{\L}/{2}^0.5
240 =\frac{12}{\sqrt{2} * L
[/tex]
any help.. again would be appreciated

[tex] 12L^{0.5} * \frac{L^{0.5}}{2^{0.5}}[/tex] is an equivalent expression to your first one since

this is just properties of exponents.
therefore you can reduce your first expression to
[tex]12 * \sqrt{L} * \sqrt{L} * \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{12}{\sqrt{2}} * L[/tex]

hope this helps!

Last edited:
thank you hypermonkey!

i think my lack of sleep is getting the better of me or just my complete inability at maths.

still not really understanding the 12/sqrt of 2 part

sqrt to rid the equation of indices?

why has the 12 gone to the numerator of the fraction?

this is very basic and I am finding it too difficult... *sigh*

Last edited:
benj1 said:
thank you hypermonkey!
i think my lack of sleep is getting the better of me or just my complete inability at maths.
still not really understanding the 12/sqrt of 2 part
sqrt to rid the equation of indices?
why has the 12 gone to the numerator of the fraction?
this is very basic and I am finding it too difficult... *sigh*

dont worry about it, we all start somewhere. just as long as you don't get discouraged, youll be mathematizing in no time.
heres what you might now realize
[tex] 12 * \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{12}{1} *\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{12}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
that is the law of fraction multiplication.
it makes sense too, since
[tex]2 * \frac{1}{2}=2 * 0.5=1=\frac{2}{2}[/tex]
do you agree?

help here has been overwhelming thanks.. I think I am getting it, wheter its sinking in or not.. :(

the next step is proving a bit of a problem as well :uhh:

240 = (12 / sqrt of 2) * L
L = sqrt of 2 * 240 / 12

again any help.. appreciated

Last edited:

1. How did they simplify this complex process?

The simplification of a complex process involves breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can be achieved through various techniques such as abstraction, decomposition, and generalization. The specific method used depends on the nature of the process and the problem it aims to solve.

2. What are the benefits of simplifying a process?

Simplification can lead to increased efficiency, improved understanding, and easier implementation of a process. It can also make a process more accessible to a wider audience, as it reduces the complexity and technical jargon involved.

3. How do scientists determine which parts of a process can be simplified?

Scientists use their expertise and knowledge of the field to identify the critical components of a process that can be simplified. They may also conduct experiments and gather data to analyze and understand the process better, which can help in identifying areas for simplification.

4. Are there any risks or drawbacks to simplifying a process?

While simplification can have many benefits, it may also lead to oversimplification, which can result in a loss of important details and nuances. This can lead to inaccurate or incomplete conclusions. Therefore, it is crucial for scientists to carefully evaluate the impact of simplification and ensure that it does not compromise the integrity of the process.

5. How do scientists ensure that a simplified process is still accurate and reliable?

Scientists use various methods such as peer review, replication of experiments, and statistical analysis to validate the results of a simplified process. They also continuously evaluate and refine their simplified models to ensure that they accurately represent the real-world processes they aim to study.