Magnetic dipole moment homework

In summary, the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere with uniform charge density is \mu = iA. Integrating the magnetic dipole moments of the sphere gives the final answer of 4/3*q*(R^2)*w.
thenewbosco
Hello, i have absolutely no clue on how to start this one:

a sphere of radius R has a uniform volume charge density [tex]\rho[/tex].
Determine the magnetic dipole moment of the sphere when it rotates as a rigid body with angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about an axis through its center.

thanks for the help on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can divide the sphere into many rings. Each ring is a magnetic dipole moment, which magnitude is

[tex] \mu = iA [/tex]

Then integrate them.

By the way, what's the given answer?
Is it

[tex] \frac{4}{15} \rho \omega \pi R^5 [/tex] ?

Last edited:
hello, i do not have the answer at this time, but i tried your method you describe and got the same as you without the 15 in the denominator. can you explain how you ended up with 4/15?

thanks

Hi. There was R^5 and sin^3 in my integration so it ended up with 4/15. It seems that we have some difference from the start. If we use the same idea, it should come out the same result. Can you post you equation?

Thanks

Last edited:
heres what i have done:

since [tex]dV \rho = dq[/tex] and [tex]dt=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex] so that [tex]I=\frac{dq}{dt}=\frac{dV\omega\rho}{2\pi}[/tex]

now since magnetic moment is [tex]\mu=IA[/tex] i wrote [tex] d\mu = \frac{dV\omega\rho}{2\pi}dA[/tex] then for a sphere the differential volume element i used was [tex]dV= r^2 sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

putting this all together i have
[tex]\mu = \frac{\omega\rho}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R}r^2 dr\int_{0}^{\pi}sin\theta d\theta\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\phi\int dA[/tex]

where [tex]\int dA = volume of sphere = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/tex]

thenewbosco said:
where [tex]\int dA = volume of sphere = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/tex]

This is the difference.

I think that we can obtain a circle by intersecting a plan and the sphere. There are many many diffrential rings on the circle, each has area

[tex] r^2 sin^2 \phi \pi [/tex]

A bigger ring will involve a small one, so

[tex] \int dA \neq \frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 [/tex]

My solution is similar as yours:

A ring has charge

[tex] q=2 \pi r sin \phi r d \phi dr \rho [/tex]

so each ring has

[tex] i=2 \pi r sin \phi r d \phi dr \rho \frac{\omega}{2 \pi} [/tex]

magnetic moment [tex] \mu = iA [/tex] [tex]A =r^2 sin^2 \phi [/tex]

put this all together

[tex] \mu = \rho \omega \pi \int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi} r^4 sin^3 \phi dr d \phi [/tex]

Last edited:
i am wondering what angle phi is on yours, i have used phi and theta as in spherical polar coordinates, while you have only theta. can you describe what this is. thanks

thenewbosco said:
i am wondering what angle phi is on yours, i have used phi and theta as in spherical polar coordinates, while you have only theta. can you describe what this is. thanks
[tex]\mu = \frac{\omega\rho}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R}r^2 dr\int_{0}^{\pi}sin\theta d\theta\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\phi\int dA[/tex]

[tex] \theta_{yours} = \phi_{mine} [/tex]:smile:

Psi-String said:
[tex] q=2 \pi r sin \phi r d \phi dr \rho [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi_{yours} = 2 \pi_{mine} [/tex]

I'm not 100% sure whether my solution and answer are right or not.
If you have other ideas or know the correct answer, please tell me.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
just wondering how you have for area that

[tex]A=r^2 sin^2\phi[/tex]

otherwise your solution looks right to me

Psi-String said:
magnetic moment [tex] \mu = iA [/tex] [tex] A=r^2 sin^2 \phi [/tex]

Oh I'm sorry! It should be

[tex] A= r^2 sin^2 \phi \pi [/tex]

Sorry for mistake.

(sorry for all the greek letters in superscript, I don't know why it's doing that...)

I am doing this same question except the sphere only carries a uniform surface charge [tex]\sigma[/tex]. I then obtain the final answer

[tex]4/3[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]R[tex]\omega\sigma[/tex]

Which is equivalent to

Volume of Sphere x [tex]\omega\sigma[/tex] (+z direction)

Would this be the correct answer?

The only real difference when doing the question is that I only needed to integrate wrt theta instead of over the whole volume since all the charge lies on the surface.

the correct answer is 1/3*q*(R^2)*w ... now calculate it correctly ...

1. What is magnetic dipole moment?

Magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field created by a magnet or a current-carrying loop. It is a vector quantity that describes the orientation and magnitude of the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic dipole moment calculated?

Magnetic dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the loop or the length of the magnet and the angle between the magnetic field and the area or length vector. It is represented by the symbol μ.

3. What is the unit of magnetic dipole moment?

The unit of magnetic dipole moment is ampere-meter squared (A·m²) in SI units. In cgs units, it is measured in ergs per gauss (erg/G).

4. What are the applications of magnetic dipole moment?

Magnetic dipole moment is used in various applications such as in electromagnets, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in the study of magnetic materials and their properties.

5. How does magnetic dipole moment affect the behavior of particles?

Magnetic dipole moment plays a crucial role in the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. Charged particles with magnetic dipole moment experience a force when placed in a magnetic field, causing them to move in a circular or helical path. This effect is used in devices like particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes.