Earthquakes and second one dam prevent earthquake

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, Moonbear believes that dams cause earthquakes and cites evidence to support this claim. However, she acknowledges that this is still an open question and that there may be other factors involved.
heman
This worls is divided into two groups(not obviously boys and girls:biggrin: ),,first one who believe dams cause earthquakes and second one dam prevent earthquake..
you are in which one and what's your reasoning..

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Dams cause earthquakes? What happened to plate tectonics?

Dams don't have anything at all to do with earthquakes. Where would you get such an idea from?

Tectonic plates do cause Earthquakes but

4 Dams have also lead to Earthquakes..
2 in Russia,1 in Yugoslavia,1 in India(Koena Dam).

Please cite sources that show that.

Well google Koyna Dam,,you would find enough to believe that how much this place is susceptible..

the physics of Earthquakes i believe is not much known,,thats why may be there are 2 groups..
Clearly you are in 2nd group..

heman said:
Well google Koyna Dam,,you would find enough to believe that how much this place is susceptible..

the physics of Earthquakes i believe is not much known,,thats why may be there are 2 groups..
Clearly you are in 2nd group..
No, I'm in neither of your groups. And I'm not going to do the research for you. You're making a claim that there is a connection between dams and earthquakes, so you need to provide the support for it.

Actually, it's true. This happened due to the lake in Oroville, Ca, where I lived for a time. The problem is not the dam, rather the problem is the volume of stored water and the resulting mass load on the local plate.

Reservoir-induced seismicity is considered to have occurred at four California sites. The four reservoirs and the largest triggered earthquake associated with each one are: Lake Mendocino in Mendocino County, M 5.2 (see CALIFORNIA GEOLOGY, December 1978, p. 275-281); Lake Crowley in Mono County, M 6.0 (see CDMG Special Report 150, p. 92-94); Lake Oroville in Butte County, M 5.7 (see CALIFORNIA GEOLOGY, June 1982, p. 115-118); and Lake Shasta in Shasta County, M <3.

CDMG is currently investigating seismicity at Lake Oroville. The seismicity at this location apparently is influenced or controlled by the seasonal variations in reservoir water storage, as indicated in the June 1982 issue of CALIFORNIA GEOLOGY . . . editor.

In numerous parts of the world today, including some of the most highly developed countries, many dam designers and operators have tended to close their eyes to the engineering problems posed by reservoir-induced earthquakes. [continued]
http://www.johnmartin.com/earthquakes/eqpapers/00000054.htm

Last edited:
Okay, with some evidence, I've re-opened the thread. Though, a reservoir is not quite the same as a dam.

heman said:
Well google Koyna Dam,,you would find enough to believe that how much this place is susceptible...

In the future you need to post reliable sources and references for your claims. I just happened to know about this.

Moonbear said:
Okay, with some evidence, I've re-opened the thread. Though, a reservoir is not quite the same as a dam.

:redface: I didn't even realize that you had locked it.

Moonbear said:
No, I'm in neither of your groups. And I'm not going to do the research for you. You're making a claim that there is a connection between dams and earthquakes, so you need to provide the support for it.

Moonbear,you are right,,:smile:
just found an evidence..
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/05quake.htm

Well if you aren't in any then you will become..:biggrin:

Here is an article about the Konya Dam written by a senior research seismologist

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl1627/16270870.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
At Wikipedia's Konya Dam
[Konya Dam] is blamed for the spate of earthquakes in the recent past. In 1967 a devastating earthquake almost razed the dam, with the dam developing major cracks. Geologists are still uncertain if the Koyna Dam is responsible for the spate in seismic activity.

Moonbear said:
The dam certainly doesn't cause an earthquake, but rather the mass (weight) of water accumulating behind a dam may load the local area, and this loading may lead to an earthquake. So indirectly a dam may cause an earthquake.

Also, the hydraulic pressure may cause water to travel into fissures in the rock which then causes fissures to crack and propagate. The increase in hydaulic (hyrdogeologic) pressure could also contribute to conditions leading to an earthquake. However, the 'earthquakes' are likely to be very low magnitude. The effect of the dam, or rather reservoir will be highly dependent on the local geology, e.g. granite vs basalt vs metamorphic or sedimentary rock.

Astro,,how is this geology playing a role..

Actually the dams become more susceptible to earthquake during heavy rain...and yeah absolutely.. , Dams are susceptible to earthquake because they provide storage of water at height,,what else could have been the reason...

heman said:
Astro,,how is this geology playing a role..

Actually the dams become more susceptible to earthquake during heavy rain...and yeah absolutely.. , Dams are susceptible to earthquake because they provide storage of water at height,,what else could have been the reason...

You seem to be mixing issues here. As stated, dams don't cause earthquakes; it is believed that the load of the stored water behind the dam does. Also, it is thought that sustained, heavy rains may increase the likelihood of quakes by lubricating the intersection of land masses. But this has nothing to do with dams.

Ivan Seeking said:
heavy rains may increase the likelihood of quakes by lubricating the intersection of land masses.

From where do they get energy to intersect?

The energy ultimately comes from heat in the planet's interior. Land mass emerges in areas known as divergent rifts, such as the mid-atlantic ridge,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_Ridge" [Broken]

and the East African Great Rift Valley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Rift_Valley.

Land is driven down and lost to the interior in subduction zones, and reclaimed from divergent rifts and volcanism. Again, the system is driven by heat.

Note also the subduction zone earthquakes, which can produce quakes in excess of mag 9.0, are the most dangerous. Here in the pacific northwest we are overdue for a subduction zone event.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes earthquakes?

Earthquakes are caused by the sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust, which creates seismic waves. This can be triggered by movements in tectonic plates, volcanic activity, or human activities such as drilling or mining.

2. Can earthquakes be predicted?

At this time, earthquakes cannot be accurately predicted. However, scientists can use data and historical patterns to make probabilistic forecasts for certain areas.

3. How can we prevent earthquakes?

Unfortunately, we cannot prevent earthquakes from occurring. However, we can take measures to reduce the damage and impact that earthquakes have on buildings and infrastructure through proper construction techniques and retrofitting.

4. What is the second one dam and how does it prevent earthquakes?

The Second One Dam is a proposed dam project in the Philippines that aims to prevent earthquakes by reducing the amount of water in the earth's crust. The theory is that by reducing the weight of water, it can decrease the likelihood of tectonic plates shifting and causing earthquakes.

5. How can I stay safe during an earthquake?

If you live in an earthquake-prone area, it is important to have an emergency plan in place. This may include identifying safe areas in your home or workplace, having emergency supplies and kits ready, and knowing how to protect yourself during an earthquake (such as dropping to the ground, taking cover, and holding on). It is also important to stay informed and follow any evacuation or safety instructions from local authorities.