[Discrete Math] Permutations / Combinations Advice needed

In summary, one of the class objectives is to give an oral presentation to the professor on Permutations and Combinations. The main points to cover are: 1) Permutations with no repetitions allowed and order matters can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-k)!; 2) Combinations with no repetitions allowed and order doesn't matter can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-k)!k!; 3) Permutations with repetitions allowed and order matters can be calculated using the formula (m1 + m2 + ... mn)! / (m1!*m2!*...*mn!); and 4) Combinations with repetitions allowed and order doesn't matter can be calculated using the formula (k
Servo888
One of the class objectives is to give an oral presentation to the professor. This time it has to do with explaining Permutations and Combinations. We have 4 things we need to explain:

1) Permutations / Repetitions are not allowed / Order Matters

2) Combinations / Repetitions are not allowed / Order Doesn't matter

3) Permutations / Repetitions are allowed / Order Matters

4) Combinations / Repetitions are allowed / Order Doesn't matter

Here is what I have so far as far as explanations go:

1) P(n,k), n = number of objects, k = pickings

So we permute n, the number of objects... n!, this gives us n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-(k-1))*(n-k)!, so we have the total permutations of n objects. Now we must divide by (n-k)!, since these elements are ones past the kth element.

This gives us the formula n! / (n-k)!

2) C(n,k) n choose k.

We are permuting the n! / (n-k)!, this will give us the permutation of n objects on k elements. Since we cannot have combinations such as 256 and 562, we must eliminate them. We do so by multiplying k! with (n-k)!; so we get n! / (n-k)!k!. My problem here is I can't understand why that k! is there... I know it has something to do how the thing gets ordered, but I can't explain it. Maybe somebody can help me out here.

3) Example: AABBCA;

The formula we get is... (m1 + m2 + ... mn)! / (m1!*m2!*...*mn!); and I need to explain how we get that...

Here we have 3 objects, n = 3.
We permute all the 'copies' of each object. (3 A's + 2 B's + 1 C)!. This gives us the total permutations. (I need some help explaining that a bit better). What does this 'give us'?...

Then I know we take that and then we permute each object, by the number of copies, so since we have 3 A's we do 3!, for the B's we have 2!, and for C we have 1!. I by the multilplication principle we multiply them together, 3!*2!*1!; so then we (3 A's + 2 B's + 1 C)! / 3!*2!*1!. I'm a bit lost as to why we divide... I know that it's because order matters, so we can have 245 and 254, they are not the same, and repitions are allowed... But why?...

4) Here we'll use the 00|000|0, where
k = number of circles
number of "|" = n-1
How many 'types' of objects do we have?... no f'en clue.

But in the end we plug in k for m1 (in the previous equation), and plug in n-1 for m2 from the previous equation (no clue as to why...) and we get...

(k+(n-1))! / (k!(n-1)!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok nevermind, just passed it.

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the selection of objects without considering their order.

2. How do I know when to use permutations or combinations?

You would use permutations when order matters, such as arranging a sequence of events or choosing a team captain. Combinations are used when order does not matter, such as selecting a committee or choosing toppings for a pizza.

3. Can you give an example of a permutation?

One example of a permutation would be the number of ways a group of 5 dancers can be arranged in a line for a performance. The first dancer has 5 choices, the second dancer has 4 choices, and so on, giving a total of 5*4*3*2*1 = 120 possible permutations.

4. Is there a formula for calculating permutations and combinations?

Yes, the formula for permutations is n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. The formula for combinations is n! / r!(n-r)!, which is the same as the permutation formula, but divided by the number of ways the objects can be arranged.

5. Do you have any tips for approaching permutation and combination problems?

One tip is to carefully read and understand the problem to determine if order matters or not. Also, make sure to use the correct formula and plug in the correct values. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or make lists to visualize the different arrangements or combinations.