What are the classical Textbooks for quantum mechanics and electromagnetism?

In summary: If you're looking for a graduate textbook, Lifshitz and Pitaevskii would be a good place to start. I don't think there is a "classical textbook" for QM, but Sakurai is a good reference.
Twukwuw
What are the "classical Textbooks" for quantum mechanics and electromagnetism?

hi,

I want to use my vacations to study quantum mechanics and eletromagnetism.

Are there any "classical textbook" for these 2 subjects, like "Goldstein classical mechanics" for mechanics?

Thanks,
Twukwu.

Physics news on Phys.org
At that level, the classic E&M textbook is Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics.

maybe sakurai's modern quantum mechanics for the qm part.

E & M :
1) Griffiths, (2) Jackson, (3) Landau, Lif$hitz & Pitaevskii

QM :
1) Eisberg & Resnick, (2) Schiff, (3) Sakurai

Note : (1) is typical for an upper undergraduate level text. (2) and (3) are graduate level texts.

In my experience the best books for QM are:
1)Landau and Lif$hitz, for wave mechanics.
2)Shankar, for almost everything else.

Griffiths isn't a bad introductory text. I liked it just because it showed the derivation of a few wavefunctions.

Sakurai I found too dry and Zettili was too "pragmatic" for my liking.
Although both are brilliant once you know QM.

Twukwuw said:
hi,

Are there any "classical textbook" for these 2 subjects, like "Goldstein classical mechanics" for mechanics?

Thanks,
Twukwu.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3540433422/?tag=pfamazon01-20
That's not really classic but u can buy from 1 of 6 used !

Twukwuw said:
hi,

Thanks,
Twukwu.

For *self-study*, you want something fairly user friendly. I would recommend the two books by Griffiths: Intro to Qm and Intro to Electrodynamics.

Twukwuw said:
hi,

Thanks,
Twukwu.

I would stay away from Jackson for self study.
A new book, "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin (AW.com)
is close to the Jackson graduate level but could be done on your own.
Griffiths is OK, but is a UG text that leaves much undeveloped.

Gokul43201 said:
E & M :
1) Griffiths, (2) Jackson, (3) Landau, Lif$hitz & Pitaevskii

QM :
1) Eisberg & Resnick, (2) Schiff, (3) Sakurai

Note : (1) is typical for an upper undergraduate level text. (2) and (3) are graduate level texts.

I wonder why books like Griffiths, Greiner are not listed...I find Greiner's Classical Electrodynamics and Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics quite germane to an undergraduate curriculum. I have no idea about Sakurai though. Eisberg and Resnick leaves out almost nothing in theory but a lot of math. Feynman's Lectures should be recommended for all topics. So perhaps should be the Berkeley Physics course. Peebles is an interesting reference too.

For Classical Mechanics, again an assortment: Goldstein, Greiner and other stuff based on your course depth/interest maybe?

1. What is quantum mechanics and electromagnetism?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and their surrounding electromagnetic fields.

2. Why are classical textbooks important for studying quantum mechanics and electromagnetism?

Classical textbooks provide a solid foundation in the fundamental principles and equations of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. They also offer a historical perspective on the development of these theories and their applications in various fields of physics.

3. What are some popular classical textbooks for quantum mechanics?

Some popular classical textbooks for quantum mechanics include "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

4. What are some popular classical textbooks for electromagnetism?

Some popular classical textbooks for electromagnetism include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John D. Jackson, and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell.

5. Are there any online resources for classical textbooks on quantum mechanics and electromagnetism?

Yes, there are many online resources for classical textbooks on quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. Some popular websites include OpenStax, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Khan Academy. These resources offer free access to textbooks, lecture notes, and practice problems for self-study or supplementing traditional classroom learning.