I think energy independence is going too far - Shell Oil

In summary, Shell Oil's CEO John Hofmeister believes that while energy independence may be going too far, the company is committed to promoting energy security through a diverse mix of conventional and unconventional sources such as oil, gas, LNG, and alternative options like wind, solar, and hydrogen. However, there is still a strong dependence on oil in the current economy, and public policy is needed to support access to more domestic sources. Some argue that energy decisions should not be left solely in the hands of big oil companies like Shell.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"I think energy independence is going too far" - Shell Oil

...MR. HOFMEISTER: Tim, on Friday, I was in Dallas on the first city of a 50-city tour that Shell has begun to try to take the message of energy security through energy diversity to the American public. We think we need to do a better job of explaining what we’re up to. And what we can talk about in this country, in terms of energy security—I think energy independence is going too far—but in terms of energy security, we can deal with conventional oil and gas, we can move over to unconventional oil and gas—such as the oil sands in Canada or the oil shale in Colorado—we can then move into the LNG world, bringing a lot of liquified natural gas into this country. We can move into coal gasification, clean coal, turning coal into gas, gas into electric power. Much cleaner than most current power-generating stations. Then we can get into the alternatives, the alternatives of wind, solar, biofuels, hydrogen. There’s so much we can do in this country, and we’re actually working on all of that. And I look forward to taking that message forward.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you agree with the president that we’re addicted to oil?

MR. HOFMEISTER: I think we’re entirely oil-based in our economy the way we’re currently structured, and I think we will be for decades to come. And there’s plenty of oil out there to keep the economy moving. And we can go develop it if we had public policy to support the access we need to get more oil in the United States.[continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13296235/page/5/

I think it is clear that this is not who we need making the calls for what's good for the US. Energy needs to be taken out of the hands of big oil.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124165

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bystander said:

I hope you aren't being as transparent as it appears.

Should we count the other 200 trees that are three or four times the size, that we maintain rather than cut down to sell, which would allow us to build condos [or at least houses] on the land?

Also, we grew the ones cut down, and the majority of the mass is preserved by the landscaping technique chosen. :tongue:

Last edited:

1. What does Shell Oil mean by "energy independence going too far"?

Shell Oil is referring to the push for countries to become completely self-sufficient in terms of energy production, without relying on imports from other countries. They believe that this goal may be unrealistic and could have negative consequences.

2. Why does Shell Oil think that energy independence is going too far?

Shell Oil argues that attempting to achieve complete energy independence could limit access to more affordable and efficient energy sources, as well as hinder global cooperation and trade.

3. What are some potential consequences of pursuing energy independence?

Shell Oil suggests that countries pursuing energy independence may face higher costs, limited access to certain energy sources, and decreased economic growth due to reduced trade opportunities.

4. Is Shell Oil against all forms of energy independence?

No, Shell Oil supports a balanced approach to energy production and believes that a mix of domestic production and imports is necessary to meet global energy demands.

5. What does Shell Oil propose as an alternative to complete energy independence?

Shell Oil advocates for a diverse and integrated global energy system, where countries work together to ensure reliable and affordable energy supplies for all. They also support investing in new technologies and renewable energy sources to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.