Bullets and Truth: Exploring Momentum and Energy

• Thread starter phil
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by phil Kick is a force. Force is change in momentum per unit time. The same change in momentum will give a different forces when the time during which the change occurs differs. So, the deeper the wound, the more KE is needed to create the same momentum? Also, does the weight of the bullet contribute to the force?
phil
Good afternoon -please bear with me -I had to skip physics as a subject -so my knowledge is good in some places, non-existant in others.
There was an interesting post in the archives about the momentum of a bullet -that if two bullets impact with the same energy, the one with more momentum will "kick" more?
Momentum is virtually never mentioned in the gun press, but Energy (KE) is a lot -but what does it actually mean? If I shoot something the momentum is what moves the object back -what difference would different levels of energy have? If two bullets have the same momentum, the lighter one will be faster, so have greater KE -what practical effect does that produce?
Related question -a hollowpoint bullet will mushroom when it strikes a liquid/semi-liquid due to a hydraulic effect if the bullet is moving fast enough -is this governed by KE or momentum -is the hollowpoint more likely to open if I make the bullet heavier or make it lighter and faster?
phil

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by phil
Good afternoon -please bear with me -I had to skip physics as a subject -so my knowledge is good in some places, non-existant in others.
There was an interesting post in the archives about the momentum of a bullet -that if two bullets impact with the same energy, the one with more momentum will "kick" more?
Momentum is virtually never mentioned in the gun press, but Energy (KE) is a lot -but what does it actually mean?
The kick is related to changes in momentum. However you can't be too careful when considering such statements.

Kick is a force. Force is change in momentum per unit time. The same change in momentum will give a different forces when the time during which the change occurs differs.

The rest of your questions concern damage and that's pretty complicated. Basically, all other things equal, more kinetic energy - more damage. But not all things are usually equal

Thanks for the reply
"more energy, more damage"
Main damaging mechanisms of a bullet are the depth and width of the wound channel (there is energy being lost to the stretch cavity -but that produces little damage with handgun rounds) -how does more KE contribute to these? Does more KE mean deeper penetration?
Any ideas on what the forces that mushroom the bullet are?
phil

What is momentum and how is it related to bullets?

Momentum is a property of an object that describes its tendency to continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed. Bullets have momentum because they have mass and velocity, and this momentum is what allows them to continue moving after being fired from a gun.

What is the difference between momentum and energy?

Momentum and energy are related but distinct concepts. While momentum is a measure of an object's motion, energy is a measure of its ability to do work. Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity, while energy is calculated by multiplying mass by velocity squared.

Why is it important to understand the momentum and energy of bullets?

Understanding the momentum and energy of bullets is important for several reasons. For one, it can help us understand the effects of bullets on their targets and the potential for injury or damage. Additionally, understanding these concepts can also aid in designing safer and more efficient firearms.

How does the momentum and energy of a bullet change as it travels?

As a bullet travels through the air, its momentum and energy will change due to factors such as air resistance and gravity. Initially, the bullet will have a high momentum and energy as it is propelled by the gun's explosive force. As it travels, air resistance will slow the bullet down, decreasing its momentum and energy until it comes to a stop.

What other factors besides momentum and energy can affect the trajectory of a bullet?

The trajectory of a bullet can also be affected by factors such as the shape and weight of the bullet, the type and amount of gunpowder used, and external forces such as wind or gravity. Additionally, the type of gun used and the condition of the barrel can also impact the trajectory of a bullet.