Pursuing Graduate School in Physics After English & Music Major

In summary, it depends on your goals for the future, but it's possible to go to a grad school after taking some courses for theoretical physics. However, it's a very involved field and an undergraduate education in physics usually includes about 80-100 credits worth of math and physics classes which usually takes 4 years to get through.
optforfirst
I am currently at a high ranking liberal arts undergraduate school finishing a major in English and Music, but have always had a pine for theoretical physics. I've always loved string theory, big bang, reading Hawking, Einstein, Newton, math (when I get it) and would like to go into that field if possible as a career. Is it possible to go to a grad school after taking some courses for theoretical physics? (obviously not a great one)

Physics news on Phys.org
optforfirst said:
I am currently at a high ranking liberal arts undergraduate school finishing a major in English and Music, but have always had a pine for theoretical physics. I've always loved string theory, big bang, reading Hawking, Einstein, Newton, math (when I get it) and would like to go into that field if possible as a career. Is it possible to go to a grad school after taking some courses for theoretical physics? (obviously not a great one)

You need to read this post by ZapperZ:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

It will answer your questions.

it really depends on you, if you work really hard, then you might be able to get into grad school, in one or two years. The thing about it is that physics is a very involved field, and an undergraduate education in physics usually includes about 80-100 credits worth of math and physics classes which usually takes 4 years to get through. and more than that all of that stuff builds off of the previous stuff so that it is very difficult to get through it in a brief period of time, or even understand the stuff that comes later ie. in grad school.

So you might be able to go to a physics grad school, if you worked really hard and were willing to teach yourself this stuff day in and day out (although I can't say that's a good way to learn it). Alternatively you could stop working on your english major and start working on a physics one.

Its not impossible to do, a very prominent string theorist Ed Witten got his bachelors in history.

EDIT: it just occurred to me t ask this, but do you enjoy math? because as a physics major you'd be doing lots of math, and more than that all of physics is written in math, an all the really meaningfull work involves a lot of math.

its always possible to become a science columnist or something along those lines

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of pursuing graduate school in physics after majoring in English and music?

There are several benefits to pursuing graduate school in physics after majoring in English and music. First, having a diverse background in different subjects can make you a well-rounded candidate for graduate programs. Additionally, the analytical and critical thinking skills developed in English and music courses can be applied to physics research and problem-solving. Furthermore, having a background in the arts can bring a unique perspective to the scientific field and lead to innovative ideas and approaches in research.

2. Will my lack of a physics undergraduate degree hinder my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

It is possible that not having a physics undergraduate degree may make it more challenging to be accepted into a graduate program, but it is not necessarily a hindrance. Admissions committees often look for a strong academic record, research experience, and a passion for the subject. If you can demonstrate your aptitude and interest in physics through your coursework and experiences, you may still be considered a competitive candidate.

3. Can I pursue a career in physics with an English and music background, without obtaining a graduate degree?

While a graduate degree in physics can open up many career opportunities, it is not the only path to a career in the field. With a background in English and music, you may find opportunities in science communication, science writing, or even combining your skills in both fields to work in the field of science and technology policy. It is essential to research different career options and network with professionals in the field to find the best fit for your skills and interests.

4. How can I prepare for graduate school in physics with an English and music background?

To prepare for graduate school in physics, it is crucial to take as many math and science courses as possible during your undergraduate studies. You may also want to consider taking some introductory physics courses to gain a basic understanding of the subject. Additionally, seek out research opportunities in physics or related fields to gain hands-on experience and demonstrate your interest in the subject. Lastly, make sure to communicate your unique background and how it can contribute to the field of physics in your graduate school applications.

5. Are there any resources or support available for students with a non-physics background pursuing graduate school in physics?

Yes, there are resources and support available for students with a non-physics background pursuing graduate school in physics. Many universities have interdisciplinary programs or bridge programs specifically designed for students with diverse backgrounds, providing additional support and resources to help them succeed in graduate school. Additionally, networking with current physics graduate students or professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and advice as you navigate your graduate school journey.