Sooo I'm gonna graduate in May, I've started a couple of grad school apps

In summary, it would be worth it to hold off the grad school apps until next year if you have a decent GPA and have research experience.
schattenjaeger
but I don't have any research experience, my GPA is decent but I'm sure it'd be over a 3.5 at least by the time I'm actually done next semester, and a couple of professors seem interested in letting me do research and stuff for them the next semester or so

would it be worth it to hold off the grad school apps until next year?

But here's the deal, my poor ass lives at home with the parents and commutes to school, and I can't really afford to stick around much longer. Is there a job I could get in the span of that year that could get me some self-sufficiency financial-wise, with my little old physics BS?

I dunno, I always hear that ass needs to be hauled about this time on those apps, but all the ones I looked at didn't need to be done until January 15th, or maybe middish-late December. I can type essays and stuff like a madman, the only thing that would really slow me down are the reccomendations, but I got lots of proffessors I could use so I can spread them out and not dump a pile on a couple

Physics news on Phys.org
You NEED research experience to be competitive in the grad school application process. And your personal statement and letters of reccommendation should really talk about your research experience... not to say that you can't/won't get into a graduate school, but your sights on particular institutions to apply to should then be considering this...

But I am picturing another possible senario... could you graduate, then continue to do research with the professor that is hiring you for the spring term... as a paid lab technician? I would think that likely, because (as Moonbear has said in some other posts in this section) it's a shame to train someone then have them leave right away. You might not be paid ENOUGH to be self-sufficient, but getting paid (versus paying for tution, books, etc... is nice).. as is getting more lab experience to make your application for grad programs more competitive.

Hmm

I'm feeling like it may just be the better thing to wait then. I'm taking graduate QM2 next semester, my GPA will be a bit higher, if I need to I could retake the GRE, and I'll have the research experience and know the professors better for reccomendations

that's like 45000 times better, isn't it?

Next question then, I keep forgetting that in May I will actually have a physics degree, what type of job could I get with that for a year or two before going to grad school?(because of course if I got a good job I liked I could wait and save up money and stuff)Maybe like an intern somewhere like a national lab or something? As mentioned earlier I'm not for the sticking around my home, so location isn't even an issue, and I'm not accustomed to just the highest standard of living in the world so I could work for nickels and dimes

What are the basic requirements for grad school applications?

The specific requirements for grad school applications may vary depending on the program and university, but generally, students are expected to have a bachelor's degree, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and GRE scores (for some programs).

When should I start working on my grad school applications?

It is recommended to start working on your grad school applications at least 6-12 months before the application deadlines. This will give you enough time to gather all the necessary materials, research programs, and write a strong personal statement.

How many schools should I apply to for grad school?

There is no set number of schools to apply to for grad school. It is recommended to apply to a mix of reach, target, and safety schools, depending on your qualifications and preferences. However, it is generally advised to not apply to too many schools as it can be overwhelming and expensive.

What can I do to make my grad school application stand out?

To make your grad school application stand out, you can focus on showcasing your unique experiences, skills, and achievements. This can include relevant research projects, internships, volunteer work, and leadership roles. Additionally, strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also make a difference.

Should I consider applying for grad school during the current COVID-19 pandemic?

Many universities are still accepting applications for grad school during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on funding, research opportunities, and campus resources. It is recommended to thoroughly research the specific programs and universities you are interested in and reach out to admissions offices for more information.