Electric Forces; Coloumb's Law question

In summary, three spheres with negative charges of 4.0 X 10^-6 C are arranged in an equilateral triangle with side length 0.20m. Using the equation Fe= kq1q2/r^2, where k=9.0 X 10^9 N*m^2/C^2, the net electric force on each sphere can be calculated. However, the forces must be added as directional quantities, as they are vectors. Failure to take this into account may result in incorrect calculations.
fyzikschik

Homework Statement

three spheres, each with a negative charge of 4.0 X 10^-6 C, are at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are 0.20m long. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on each sphere.

Homework Equations

Fe= kq1q2/r^2, where k is the constant, k=9.0 X 10^9 N*m^2/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged in the values..but I don't seem to be getting the answer. There are 2 forces acting on each of the spheres, right? the answer is 6.2N

Physics news on Phys.org
Saying "I plugged in" is not telling us what you did. Yes there are two forces acting on each charge. How are they acting? How did you combine them?

since Fe=kq1q2/r^2
Fe= k*(4.0 X 10^-6C)^2/ (0.20m)^2
Fe= 3.6N

how are they acting? they are supposed to repel each other, but i don't understand how that would affect the magnitude of the force. To combine them, i think i have to add 3.6N + 3.6N..but that isn't working. What do you think?

fyzikschik said:
since Fe=kq1q2/r^2
Fe= k*(4.0 X 10^-6C)^2/ (0.20m)^2
Fe= 3.6N

how are they acting? they are supposed to repel each other, but i don't understand how that would affect the magnitude of the force. To combine them, i think i have to add 3.6N + 3.6N..but that isn't working. What do you think?

I think you need to remember that forces are vectors and need to be added as directional quantities. I did not check your numerical calculation, but I expect the vector addition is your problem.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to electric forces?

Coulomb's Law is the fundamental law that governs electric forces. It determines the strength of the electric force between two charged objects and the direction in which the force acts.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric force?

The unit of measurement for electric force is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces, such as gravitational force.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged objects?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between any number of charged objects. However, the calculation becomes more complex as the number of objects increases.

5. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.