Science Debunkers: What to Do?

• Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, many people on the PF Forums are getting a role of "Science Debunkers". Their aim does not seem to be understanding nor researching, but just showing that science has irremediable gaps. I do not know what to do of this.
arivero
Gold Member
It seems to me that a lot of people around in the Forums are getting a role of "Science Debunkers". This is, their aim does not seem to be understanding nor researching, but just showing that science has irremediable(?) gaps. I do not know what to do of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by arivero
It seems to me that a lot of people around in the Forums are getting a role of "Science Debunkers". This is, their aim does not seem to be understanding nor researching, but just showing that science has irremediable(?) gaps. I do not know what to do of this.

well, after all that's why freedom of speech was invented...
I say just enjoy PF and ignore what it's obviously wrong

There's no end to 'Man's Pride'-whether 'irrational belief' or 'rational belief'--if either dominates and there is no "Love"--it's 'witch-hunts and heretic times' all over again--keep 'em humble--let's hear from the mystics and Common Sense.
just heard this today:
Knowledge is awareness, and to it there are many paths, not all of them paved with logic. But sometimes one is guided through the maze by intuition. One is led by something felt on the wind, something seen in the stars, something that calls from the wastelands to the spirit.

--Johannes Verne in The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour

best-
Shine On!

yep, my point exactly...

Originally posted by arivero
If it's a new 'gap' that hasn't been discussed before, why not? Keeps you on your toes. (and if the thread's got no discussion on something new or interesting, one doesn't need to even read it).

However, what you may be referring to is the same, tired old arguments regurgitated. Perhaps there could be a set of canned responses? something like "SR has been tested in over n {the actual number} experiments, reported in the peer-reviewed literature. Here {link} is a list of those experiments, with references to the literature. If you cannot find an experiment which addresses your specific challenge to SR in this list, please come back with a precise statement of what has not yet been tested. Note that many of the n experiments have been discussed here {a PF link or sixteen}. If you have genuine questions on an experiment, many PF members would be pleased to help you understand the experiment. OTOH, if you have a new idea in the domain of SR, please post that in Theory Development sub-forum." This puts the onus on the 'science debunker' to go do their homework (rather than having us do it for them).

What is a science debunker?

A science debunker is someone who actively seeks to discredit or disprove scientific theories, ideas, or claims. They may use scientific evidence or logical reasoning to challenge commonly accepted beliefs or theories.

Why do science debunkers exist?

Science debunkers exist to promote critical thinking and to challenge unfounded or false claims in the scientific community. They aim to separate fact from fiction and to promote accurate and evidence-based information.

What are some common tactics used by science debunkers?

Some common tactics used by science debunkers include fact-checking, using scientific evidence to disprove claims, conducting experiments or studies to test theories, and using logical reasoning to challenge faulty arguments.

Are science debunkers always right?

No, science debunkers are not always right. Like all humans, they are subject to biases and may make mistakes. However, they typically use evidence and logical reasoning to support their arguments, making their claims more reliable than those without evidence or reasoning.

How can I become a science debunker?

To become a science debunker, you should have a strong understanding of scientific principles and methods, critical thinking skills, and a willingness to challenge commonly accepted beliefs. You can also stay updated on current scientific research and claims, and actively fact-check information before accepting it as true.