What is Leibniz's rule and how is it used to differentiate an integral?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is new and needs help with typing mathematics. They have a function L_A that is an integral and they want to differentiate it with respect to A. They have the answer but don't know how it was obtained. They mention a possible pattern and rule, but still need clarification. Someone suggests using Leibniz's rule, an extension of the fundamental theorem of calculus, which can be derived using the chain rule and variable limits of integration.
norak
Hi, everyone, I'm new here and don't know how to type mathematics, but I have a scanner.

suranovic.png

I have a function L_A and it is an integral. I want to differentiate this function with respect to A. I already have the answer written but what I don't know is how it was obtained.

Just by looking at the answer I can sort of see some sort of pattern, and I have written what I think is some sort of rule on the second half of this page, but I still don't really know what kind of differentiation rule is used here, so if any smart people here know it would greatly help me thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you first perform the whole integration, then differentiating. I.e. get an explicit expression for L_A.
What do you get then? Have you tried that?

In general, Leibniz's rule, an extension of the fundamental theorem of calculus, says:
[tex]\frac{\partial left(\int_{f(a,s)}^{g(a,s)} \phi(a,s,x)dx\right)}{\partial a}= \frac{\partial g}{\partial a}\phi(a,s,f(a,s))- \frac{\partial f}{\partial a}\phi(a,s,g(a,s))+ \int_{f(a,s)}^{g(a,s)} \frac{\partial \phi(a,s,x)}{da} dx[/tex]
just the form you give. It can be derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus together with the chain rule to handle the variable limits of integration.

What is the purpose of differentiating an integral?

The purpose of differentiating an integral is to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point or interval. This allows us to analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions about its future values.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations. In other words, the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function, and the integral of a derivative is equal to the original function (up to a constant).

How do you differentiate an integral?

To differentiate an integral, we use the chain rule or the product rule, depending on the form of the integral. We also need to remember to apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to simplify the resulting expression.

Why is it important to check for convergence when differentiating an integral?

Checking for convergence is important because it ensures that the integral is well-defined and that the resulting derivative is accurate. If an integral is not convergent, it may lead to incorrect results or even non-existent derivatives.

Can the order of differentiation and integration be interchanged?

Yes, the order of differentiation and integration can be interchanged as long as certain conditions are met. For example, if the function being integrated is continuous and the integral is convergent, then we can interchange the order of differentiation and integration.